PDA

View Full Version : Need Help . . .

napster
06-24-2007, 20:33
I finnaly got up to driving position with my company and I'd like a GPS device to help me locate business addresses rural roads and hiking trails.I remember staying at standing bear one time and up came a Ups truck.I thought that was kinda kool but after working with them for a couple years I know they deliver anywhere.Problem is I don't know jack about any GPS device. I have research some on the web and would like one that I can down load hiking trails ,highway main and off-road use detail pretty good and not real complicated to operate.Any suggestions r appreciated.
Napster

jaiden
06-26-2007, 12:57
my inlaws got the garmin C330 for around $279 at walmart. it is pretty cool. the higher end models will say "Turn right in 500 feet on MAIN STREET" whereas this one says "Turn right in 500 feet". It shows the names, but won't read them. Also, there are some that can be updated online. But this one is pretty good for the price. it has turn by turn directions and lots of restaurants and such so you can check out what's near you when you need something. It's small and light.
NOT good for hiking though. For that, my father in law has a sportrak TOPO, which is OK, but the newer ones are a lot nicer. Some have GMRS (or whatever) radios on them.
I'd buy one of each. each one is not good for the other application.

napster
06-26-2007, 14:26
my inlaws got the garmin C330 for around $279 at walmart. it is pretty cool. the higher end models will say "Turn right in 500 feet on MAIN STREET" whereas this one says "Turn right in 500 feet". It shows the names, but won't read them. Also, there are some that can be updated online. But this one is pretty good for the price. it has turn by turn directions and lots of restaurants and such so you can check out what's near you when you need something. It's small and light.
NOT good for hiking though. For that, my father in law has a sportrak TOPO, which is OK, but the newer ones are a lot nicer. Some have GMRS (or whatever) radios on them.
I'd buy one of each. each one is not good for the other application.

Thanks jaiden I'll ckeck em out.

briarpatch
06-26-2007, 15:26
The Magellan Crossover GPS has both street and topo capability, I think both are included in the purchase price. It can do address routing, I don't know what the offroad capability is like, other than that it can display position on a topo.

MacGyver2005
06-28-2007, 09:06
The Magellan Crossover GPS has both street and topo capability, I think both are included in the purchase price. It can do address routing, I don't know what the offroad capability is like, other than that it can display position on a topo.

That's a good option, as is the step down from it, the Roadmate 2200T. It can be had (refurbished) for $250, which is a great price for everything you get out of it.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME 2005

napster
06-28-2007, 09:26
so should I start on ebay or will the company sell em refurbished?also was wonderin if that model has a pan in/pan out feature?
thanks again

MacGyver2005
06-29-2007, 07:55
so should I start on ebay or will the company sell em refurbished?also was wonderin if that model has a pan in/pan out feature?
thanks again

The one I refered to was available on www.tigerdirect.com, which could also be had through www.amazon.com. I don't know if it will pan in and out, but it does hve 2D/3D options. I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend, and how "snazzy" you want this thing to be. This one seems to have the most features and generally better reviews than most twice it's price.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME 2005

buckowens
06-29-2007, 19:27
For my two cents, I am a big fan of Garmin after having used them in both helicopters and cars. I gave my wife a latitude and longitude for a pickup last week at the Forest Road at Blue Ridge Gap and sure enough it worked. She complained about the road being a bit rough :D but there she was.

I have purchased my last few at a place called The GPS Store - http://www.thegpsstore.com/, but I would encourage you to check Walmart and other places. Sometimes they will offer bigger data cards or software bundles that make some purchases more attractive. I carried a Garmin Extrex Legend Cx all through GA and only had a few times tree cover interfered at all. It was always nice to know how far the next shelter was after losing track...