PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the dog?

Fenrir
06-24-2007, 23:39
I guess this is almost opposite of the topic of this forum, but maybe you dog lovers out there can help out? The girlfriend and I are considering thru-hiking the AT, probably 08. But we have a dog, what to do with her? Shes a 13 lb Westie, so obviously taking her is out. Do you guys have any ideas? Also, theres not any family that we know of that would be willing to take her for that long, so at this point I'm afraid it means no AT for me :eek:.

Dr O
06-25-2007, 02:17
Kennel not an option?

Get rid of the dog! :)

Cedar Tree
06-25-2007, 09:14
When I hiked, I had a Pug. I took him on a couple shakedown hikes and realized He didn't want to go. I posted on a couple Pug dog websites, hopefully to find another Pug owner. I did correspond with a couple folks, even went and met a gay couple with a little girl Pug. After meeting Kudzu, they declined. Eventually my Mom caved in and kept him. She ended up growing to love him like crazy before I returned.
CT

Freeleo
06-25-2007, 10:30
does it matter that they were gay?????:confused:

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2007, 10:32
While I personally think most "Trail dogs" would be happier at home, you should know that there are many small dogs on the Trail. I've seen people successfully thru-hike with plenty of little dogs, including Jack Russells, which can't weight more than 13 pounds. I'm hiking right now with some folks with a little Sheltie, and the dog is doing just fine. An intelligent, obedient, well-trained dog will most likely be fine on the Trail, regardless of its size, tho really little dogs require extra care and attention (mainly cuz there are things out here that wouldn't mind eating them!).

But if your dog is in good health, and is "Trail trained" (i.e. has experience on the Trail/in the woods) and deals OK with people and other animals, you should be fine.

Small Steps
06-25-2007, 11:46
While I personally think most "Trail dogs" would be happier at home

I am beginning to think not always......

I am actually debating this with myself right now. I have a Sheltie and she love to be with me at all times… If I walk across the house she is there…..

I just come off the trail after a nineteen day section hike. My parents were able to keep my dog while I was gone. They did a great job caring for her but she actually did get sick while I was gone. She has gotten sick before when I have had to travel somewhere for several days. We have come to the conclusion that she suffers from separation anxiety. She will stop eating and gets sick….

Go figure…..

big_muddy
06-25-2007, 12:25
I guess this is almost opposite of the topic of this forum, but maybe you dog lovers out there can help out? The girlfriend and I are considering thru-hiking the AT, probably 08. But we have a dog, what to do with her? Shes a 13 lb Westie, so obviously taking her is out. Do you guys have any ideas? Also, theres not any family that we know of that would be willing to take her for that long, so at this point I'm afraid it means no AT for me :eek:.

Might be a great trail dog . . . my mom's westie is a little hunter. Your dog could help take care of all those shelter mice.

Appalachian Tater
06-25-2007, 12:35
Your dog could help take care of all those shelter mice.

I hope that was a joke. Killing wildlife is against leave-no-trace ethics.

Chaco Taco
06-25-2007, 12:36
Im having my dog train with me. She has been going on every walk/run and any hikes she will be with me. I am starting to think I may take her on sections with me. Fortunately, my gf is not going with me so she will watch after her. Good luck finding the best option but please dont take you dog to a shelter. I know you know better just had to say it.

Fenrir
06-25-2007, 14:05
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I hear what some of you are saying about being an OK trail dog. I suppose that would be the case since it is an earth dog and all that, but even if I wanted to it would be very difficult to trail train, living in Las Vegas gives me fewer options/less time to do it so I'd really rather not. But if anyone has any more ideas please keep them coming! :-?

leeki pole
06-25-2007, 14:47
I have three dogs, a mini dachshund, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and a fiest. The Chessie would love to go, but he's too big. My best trail dog is the (mountain) fiest. She's about 15 pounds. Less food, less space. Endless energy, and she's bred for the hills. I agree with Jack, a terrier is probably the best bet. Of course, if she trees a squirrel, well, you've got a slight delay in your hike (or break, if you know what I mean)!:rolleyes:

SawnieRobertson
06-25-2007, 15:10
Westie Rescue might be willing to help. I know your challenge. I could place one of my Standard Poodles with a daughter in 2003, but I had to take Claire (trailname GRIZ), my brown Standard Poodle with me. Consequently, I chose to go way up to DWG to begin, thinking she'd encounter fewer thru-hikers. That was my initial concern, that she not be a pain for others. She was a barker and was very protective of me. She's very strong, so her pulling at the leash was a concern. Then there was the concern about what I could do if she were injured. She weighs in her birthday suit almost 60 pounds, but it was take her or not get to go back to the trail. Right off we had some stupid things happen, like my Stevenson's 2R sliding down a hill on a hard rain night with us in it. I spent the night holding the demolished tent away from her face, afraid she might not realize she was being asphiciated. (sp?) The next morning we temporarily "buried" some equipment in deep leaves and made for a road crossing. She had begun the morning barking loudly at a backpacker passing maybe 50 yards away. As we waited for some kind soul to give us a ride into a town, I talked with her quietly about how people would like her better if she would not bark at them. She never barked at anyone again that summer. Furthermore, the next thrus whom we met, she lay her head on one guy's leg and looked wi****lly up at him. That was her basic approach to life from then on, love people with hunchbacks and heavy smells. Still, her presence was detrimental to my ability to hike. All I did was worry about her. At the same time, the Advantix she wore killed all ticks and mosquitoes who dared to enter our perameters. And I could talk to her as we walked without being dubbed Crazy Old Woman. Is there advice in this? Yes, take your Westie with you or go to ABKA.com to find the finest kennel in the USA if you can afford it or let the best Westie rescue group in the US help you solve the problem. Ultimately, of course, the best answer is to weedle your way into a family member's heart, but make sure that your Westie has earned Good Citizen diplomas, has become so well-behaved that the relative will be showing him/her off.--Kinnickinic [PS: She never stopped pulling on the leash, and I let go of it only a few times when I had to in order to climb up something. She must have kept thinking about it though because, when I took her out this summer, she didn't pull once. Four years of maturity helped. Do you hear me? It's like taking along a two year old boy who has lots of energy.] :-)

Uncle Silly
06-26-2007, 20:25

not true. more than likely the dog will eat the mouse; problem solved.

besides, these are shelter mice, and shelters, as we all know, are pretty obviously against leave-no-trace ethics. in the strictest sense of the term, of course. since they're useful, we sort of ignore that to allow them. i think a shelter-mouse-killing dog might be the same sort of useful.

now back to your regularly scheduled topic.......

as a dog lover and the hiking partner of a great hiking dog, I'd have to agree: if the dog isn't hiking with you, and you can't leave it with family or friends, and you can't afford to board it for 4-6 months... either don't hike or find it a good home. the choice is yours. obviously it's not an easy choice, but pretending there's another option isn't going to help you make that not-easy choice.

that said, i agree with Jack, that you can make the small-dog-on-trail scenario work, even if it seems like it wouldn't. you'll pretty much have to carry its gear, but that's not a huge deal since a small dog won't need as much food.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.

BucketHeadnBryn
06-26-2007, 23:57

I really don't want to hijack this post because the dog-fostering issue is one I may have to deal with as well but...

Are shelter mice really considered wildlife? Are they any different from good ol'house mouse mus musculus?

superman
06-27-2007, 06:52
I'm a dog person but I have observed that most of the dogs that I've encountered on my various hikes should be left at home. That is because the dogs are not trained for the trail and they don't want to be there. I also feel that people who bring their dogs should stay out of the shelters (shelters suck anyway). Of the dogs that I have encountered that are suited for the trail it seems to me that it comes down to the individual dog and dog owner. Certain breeds have an advantage but that's not the whole story. It's hard for me to make any blanket statement about which dogs can be a thru hiker any more than I can about which people can be a thru hiker. Winter has been a great trail dog but I had many dogs before her who could not have dwealt with hiking. I have been very fortunate to have such a great hiking partner.

Gaiter
06-27-2007, 08:29
if you plan on keeping a house/apt while you hike hire a dog/house sitter, find a responsible college student (grad would probably be better than undergrads) to house/dog sit. I knew a couple that did this, while on a mission trip they continued paying rent while their house/dog sitter paid the utilities and took care of the dog, it worked out well for them.

frieden
06-27-2007, 14:47
I'm so sorry I've been offline for awhile. Ed and I have moved to Oklahoma(don't ask), and we still do not have a phone or Internet yet.

You know, Fenrir, you are welcome to start a Need Dog Sitter thread. Being a trail angel should extend to helping hikers with all aspects of their hike. Ed and I still have not gotten past the section hike status, so we might be able to dog sit for a thru-hiker. A small dog would not be a good idea for us, because Ed doesn't realize he's a big dog, and tends to trample smaller dogs.

Try to find a kind soul to watch your Westie, and go hike! (expect to cover all expenses, like food, vet care, etc)

BTW, I understand that in CA you need a hunting license to set a trap for a mouse. Unless you see the mouse being walked on a leash, I would say they are "wildlife".

shelterbuilder
06-27-2007, 23:56
The girlfriend and I are considering thru-hiking the AT, probably 08. But we have a dog, what to do with her? Shes a 13 lb Westie, so obviously taking her is out.

Why is taking her obviously out? Have you had her out on short trips and you know that she can't handle it or doesn't like it (or mistreats the other hikers)? If you haven't tried it already, take her out next time - she might surprise you!
You also don't say if the dog is SO bonded to you that she might starve herself to death if you leave her; you need to consider this, too.
Is she a yapper? Is she protective of you and "your space"? Is she "dangerously inquisitive" of strange things like snakes, skunks, porcupines, and even other dogs?:eek:
You really have only four options: take the dog along; kennel the dog (either with professionals, or with family or friends that you trust); give the dog away; or don't go hiking.:(
If you take her, she needs to be on a leash ALL the time, for her safety and the well-being of other hikers. She may slow you down, you may have to figure out a way to carry her for part of the time, and, unless they've changed the regulations, you'll still have to board her while you pass through the Great Smokies - but there are local kennels that used to do this.
I have 5 Siberian Huskies and have lost 4 others. One was a great trail dog, one was good, one might be great, but the rest couldn't "cut it" on the trail and need to be left at home.
In the end, there is no easy answer to this question. But don't be afraid to get creative with your own answer. Do your own research, ask EVERYONE for their input, but realize that, in the end, it's your own personal decision. Good luck.:D

berninbush
06-28-2007, 00:30
I have 5 Siberian Huskies

Are you starting a sled team? :D

My dog just died in March. I'm not quite ready to get another one yet. At the moment, the idea of pet-sitting for someone else has appeal. But don't get any ideas.... I will probably have another dog of my own by the time you start your thru.

Fenrir
06-28-2007, 21:19
Thanks for all the continuing advice! I say that shes not up to it because shes never been, she seems pretty close to too inquisitive. My girlfriend refuses to leave the dog with any pro kennel, so it looks like I might have to beg family :(. Thickredhair, I like the idea of subletting or whatever it would be called, but not only is it against me lease (hate to have to deal with that while on the trail, or come back for a nasty surprise :eek:) I also don't know if I could find someone that I would worry about the whole time. Thanks again for all the great help!!

shelterbuilder
06-29-2007, 19:41
Are you starting a sled team? :D

No, I did that 20 years ago - Now I'm just keeping the team going!!:D Really.

Gaiter
06-30-2007, 03:46
Thickredhair, I like the idea of subletting or whatever it would be called, but not only is it against me lease (hate to have to deal with that while on the trail, or come back for a nasty surprise :eek:) I also don't know if I could find someone that I would worry about the whole time. Thanks again for all the great help!!

yeah thats the weird part about that, you have to have respect from both sides in order for dog-sitting to work. i always respected the houses that i dog-sat for, but in a nightmare story, one family that i worked for in high school hired another kid from my school (where she was a teacher at) to dog sit for them after i moved away, and that new dog-sitter threw a huge party in their house, and she has boarded her dogs ever since (she was female dog herself who didn't have hardly any respect from others including her co-workers and my least favorite client, so i'm not too surprised that someone did that to her)

my advice is to work on the family, my parents have kept my dog for almost a year now, and its about to be longer since i'm starting a job on a cruise ship next week. there was a long adjustment period to establish who is alpha but all that tension has been worked out for the most part now. the downside is that my dad has grown very close to her since she is the better behaved than their dogs, don't know if i'll ever get her back (with her there it makes 3 black dogs and she is the smallest at 50lbs, needless to say we have the only house in the neighborhood that wasn't affected by a recent crime spree)

best of luck

Jaybird
06-30-2007, 08:29
I guess this is almost opposite of the topic of this forum, but maybe you dog lovers out there can help out? The girlfriend and I are considering thru-hiking the AT, probably 08. But we have a dog, what to do with her? ..............BLAH,BLAH,BLAH,..................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .:.

i'm a dog lover too....& you can describe yours as cute as you like....but, LEAVE THEM @ HOME!:D

NICKTHEGREEK
06-30-2007, 09:12
I am beginning to think not always......

I am actually debating this with myself right now. I have a Sheltie and she love to be with me at all times… If I walk across the house she is there…..

I just come off the trail after a nineteen day section hike. My parents were able to keep my dog while I was gone. They did a great job caring for her but she actually did get sick while I was gone. She has gotten sick before when I have had to travel somewhere for several days. We have come to the conclusion that she suffers from separation anxiety. She will stop eating and gets sick….

Go figure…..

As a life time dog person one thing I pretty much know for certain is you don't need to walk on 2 legs to be a headcase.

Trail Dog
09-27-2007, 22:18

i thought that didn't apply to pests that lived off of human's failing to practice leave no trace.

-Hiker A left food in the shelter (violated Leave no trace)
-Mouse A found the food and ate it (now an accomplice to violating leave no trace)
-Dog A eats Mouse & left behind food and restores nature to its perfect balance.

Appalachian Tater
09-27-2007, 22:41
If you have a pool and have a grocery store withing walking or bicycling distance, I'll be glad to house sit for you and take care of the dog. PM me.

Fenrir
09-27-2007, 23:48
Thanks for the help guys, the good news is that it looks like we have someone that can look after the dog. :banana

Thanks

frieden
09-30-2007, 10:32
This is a good example of a bad post. This is not a debate forum (please, read the rules again for clarification). This is a place for information and helpful tips, so dog hikers can learn how to hike with their dogs safely and responsibly. Only they know their dogs well enough to know if they like the trail or not.

i'm a dog lover too....& you can describe yours as cute as you like....but, LEAVE THEM @ HOME!:D

saimyoji
09-30-2007, 13:15
This is a good example of a bad post. This is not a debate forum (please, read the rules again for clarification). This is a place for information and helpful tips, so dog hikers can learn how to hike with their dogs safely and responsibly. Only they know their dogs well enough to know if they like the trail or not.

Click on the red triangle with the exclamation point inside to report posts you feel are innapropriate.

frieden
09-30-2007, 14:38
Click on the red triangle with the exclamation point inside to report posts you feel are innapropriate.

Thanks. Goat and I were both notified, and are back in the forum.

HapKiDo
09-30-2007, 14:52
I know a good answer to your question. Place your dog in the family atmosphere at Auntie Deb's Park A Pet in Blairsville, GA.

The info on her website is not accurate, as I believe the rates have gone up. You can find her at http://www.auntiedebsparkapet.com

I leave my dogs and cat there when I go hiking or visiting and am "working" for her in exchange for her keeping my pets when I go out of town and when I Thru Hike next year.

The dog will need to be neutered/spayed and up to date on shots. The dogs are socialized (slowly if not used to other dogs) and small dogs go outside with other small dogs (after they get used to Auntie Deb and her staff) and are played with, cuddled, and cared for in a family atmosphere. Auntie Deb has eleven dogs of her own and works with the SPCA providing care for their dogs and cats. I think she owns seven cats (or they own her).

If you decide to use her, explain that you'll be Thru Hiking the AT. If you're ever in Blairsville, GA, call her and go out to the kennel and check her out.

:sunHapKiDo