PDA

View Full Version : Erwin Hiking Center

Miss Janet
06-25-2007, 13:46
Well, the perfect land has been found for the project...

Two problems... toooo much land and not enough money....

Does anyone want to buy a mountian building lot for that future retirement cabin? I figure we could sell 14 1 acre sites perfect for cabin sites for and pay for the entire tract. That would give us 4 acres for the Erwin Hiking Center and Miss Janet's Village.

SawnieRobertson
06-25-2007, 15:16
What is the water situation?--Kinnickinic

Lilred
06-25-2007, 16:58
How much per acre? Where is it located? Might be interested if the price is right. Hmmm let's see, I buy an acre, Miss Janet's Place takes off like lightning, property values soar because of it, hmmmmmm

mweinstone
06-25-2007, 17:45
i have some friends. they lost two kids. their my best friends for 30 years. their one son greg died climbing mount ranier. it happened while i was working on their house. we celebrate gregs life with many philanthorpic gifts that john, his father has givin. i want to go to him with a proposal . hes very much into hiking related things , as greg was not only a thru hiker, a world class climber, the sports newscaster in seattle, and a slew of human endevors in the vain of charity works , but he was loved. and is sorely missed. miss janet is someone ive talked about and john and terry followed my hiking career. they just gave me a limited edition of benten mckeys hardbound book made for congress. john would buy your land. and then hed cut me out a job and a tax deal. hes allready all but offered to help me with my , now 150,000. $ debt. john would get alot out of it. him and terry could be part of gregs old world , anew. i think im a social butterfly. on your request, i would have you meet to talk. even on the phone. john does things in his retirement like , well,... he saved the russian potatoe crop when the wall fell in 89. he insured the crop. he built box factorys. he refrigerated the trains. and all because the government asked him to. where the train used to pull in to the feilds and workers would throw the potatoes in, now they arrive at market freash like ours. thats the kind of stuff john does. regularly. he just bought a sculpture and had one of his freight companys move it to the dome where the katrina people slept. and died. hes alot like me. he thinks big, but worrys for each small guy too.janet and john and terry would make fine partners. as janet also, is neither a money based person, nor a dishonest one. rare. and deserving of my pollination. should you like this idea,.......we'll talk.im working at their home this week. i could feel it out. if i weave in the idea of him and you, helping me out of a tax jam,.......well,...he'll like it more. and imagine janet,.....my cleaning obsession, against all those dirty hikers. i would accept the challenge. and be your worker for pennies. i would be the happyest jesus freak this side of the collection box. i would wake each morning from my lair near the dog kennnle,...eger to scrub. and i would be the resident artist. painting my weirdo art wherever you like.
i love you in any event miss janet of erwin.

Krewzer
06-25-2007, 21:10
....14 acres adjoining Miss Janet's .....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sounds like a good place to start retirement villlage for AT Veterans.

Miss Janet
06-26-2007, 01:53
Ever wonder where old AT hikers go when they can't hike any more??

How about a hiker retirement "Trail"... little "shelters" all along a nice mountain trail. I am laughing at the thoughts of all the old guys and gals sitting around at night telling war stories about "Well, when I did the AT it was UPHILL all the way... and I only had one sock and I used it on a different foot every day... and it snowed 10 foot deep but I still had to go hike..." Oh, well actually, this sounds like some of you now!

But seriously... I am really into brainstorming mode right now and this doesn't sound too crazy.

On the other hand.... MATTY... you been eating brownies or something??? It scares me that you almost sound serious...

Jaybird
06-26-2007, 05:08
Ever wonder where old AT hikers go when they can't hike any more??How about a hiker retirement "Trail"... little "shelters" all along a nice mountain trail. I am laughing at the thoughts of all the old guys and gals sitting around at night telling war stories about "Well, when I did the AT it was UPHILL all the way...

"Baltimore Jack" in cabin #1..."Lone Wolf" in the last cabin on the left.....uphill!:D
how often can we visit the "old hikers home?" hehehehehehehe

mweinstone
06-26-2007, 06:35
sleeping on my own weird ideas is harder than an iron shelter. first you have to re-examine them early in the first light of morn. then you have to act like you like the idea cause you came up with it. actually. on second thaught, im waitin till my art sells to buy miss janet a mountain.

MacGyver2005
06-26-2007, 07:10
Miss Janet, I would need to know more about the situation, especially the price of the land. I have a decent chunk of change laying around that I could possibly "invest" in you for a bit of time. Email me with some specifics and hopefully something can be worked out.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Lone Wolf
06-26-2007, 07:31
"Baltimore Jack" in cabin #1..."Lone Wolf" in the last cabin on the left.....uphill!:D
how often can we visit the "old hikers home?" hehehehehehehe

i don't really like hikers all that much so don't look for me to be part of that community

Yahtzee
06-26-2007, 08:26
i don't really like hikers all that much so don't look for me to be part of that community

So says post 8956.

If you dislike hikers so much, why comment so often. LW, you gotta get some positivity into your life. Just quit the whole hiking thing for good if it all sucks as much as you say it does.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2007, 08:51
So says post 8956.

If you dislike hikers so much, why comment so often. LW, you gotta get some positivity into your life. Just quit the whole hiking thing for good if it all sucks as much as you say it does.

never said hiking sucks, just you and shelters and i comment so often cuz weenies like you are so upset by it.:banana

Krewzer
06-26-2007, 09:56
Ever wonder where old AT hikers go when they can't hike any more??

How about a hiker retirement "Trail"... little "shelters" all along a nice mountain trail. I am laughing at the thoughts of all the old guys and gals sitting around at night telling war stories about "Well, when I did the AT it was UPHILL all the way... and I only had one sock and I used it on a different foot every day... and it snowed 10 foot deep but I still had to go hike..." Oh, well actually, this sounds like some of you now!

...that's what I'm talking 'bout.

Hiker Haven Retirement Home Cafeteria menu:
Monday:
Breakfast: String cheese Oatmeal, pop-tart parts
Lunch: Peanut butter, M&M tortilla roll-ups.
Dinner: Mashed Potato Mac'n'cheese....tuna for a dollar

Tuesday:
Breakfast: granoloa bar, vienaa sausage, snickers
Lunch: Peanut butter, grape jelly and sweet or dill pickle relish in a pita.
Dinner: Minute rice with Taco Bell salsa and Duck Sauce....tuna for a dollar

Wednesday:
Breakfast: Mystery fruit roll ups, raisins, crushed butter finger.
Lunch: Peanut butter and beef stick on a blueberry bagel.
Dinner: Cous Cous Soups and ketchup....tuna for a dollar

Thursday:
Breakfast: Chem Flavored U-shaped Power Bars with Crunchberries, powdered milk optional.
Lunch: Peanut butter, gorp and tabasco on rice cakes.
Dinner: Zatarain's special burned on bottom jambalaya....tuna for a dollar

Friday:
Breakfast: Haven's Special Forgotten hardboiled eggs and smashed Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies.
Lunch: Peanut butter, sardine, zagnut and Gatorade powder on squished white bread.
Dinner: Ramen with dark specks and dried leaves....tuna for a dollar

Saturday:
Breakfast: NutterButter cheesey Oatmeal and Hershey Bar.
Lunch: Cheese Burgers with real cheese and real burger.
Dinner: AYCE Pizza night... AYCD beer for a dollars

Sunday:
Breakfast: Pepto-Bismol and Tums
Lunch: warm beer
Dinner: Immodium AD and saltine crackers.

Tabasco
06-26-2007, 10:01
Krewzer:

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever read.
Thank you for making my morning.

Tabasco

leeki pole
06-26-2007, 11:34
Krewzer:

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever read.
Thank you for making my morning.

Tabasco
I'll ditto that!:)

Frosty
06-26-2007, 11:37
This is so funny my eyes are watering

My favorite (been there. done that, scrubbed the pot with sand):

Dinner: Zatarain's special burned on bottom jambalaya....tuna for a dollar.

Marta
06-26-2007, 11:54
You are making me hungry!

Thanks for that post, Krewzer.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Cookerhiker
06-26-2007, 11:57
...that's what I'm talking 'bout.

Hiker Haven Retirement Home Cafeteria menu:
Monday:
Breakfast: String cheese Oatmeal, pop-tart parts
Lunch: Peanut butter, M&M tortilla roll-ups.
Dinner: Mashed Potato Mac'n'cheese....tuna for a dollar

Tuesday:
Breakfast: granoloa bar, vienaa sausage, snickers
Lunch: Peanut butter, grape jelly and sweet or dill pickle relish in a pita.
Dinner: Minute rice with Taco Bell salsa and Duck Sauce....tuna for a dollar

Wednesday:
Breakfast: Mystery fruit roll ups, raisins, crushed butter finger.
Lunch: Peanut butter and beef stick on a blueberry bagel.
Dinner: Cous Cous Soups and ketchup....tuna for a dollar

Thursday:
Breakfast: Chem Flavored U-shaped Power Bars with Crunchberries, powdered milk optional.
Lunch: Peanut butter, gorp and tabasco on rice cakes.
Dinner: Zatarain's special burned on bottom jambalaya....tuna for a dollar

Friday:
Breakfast: Haven's Special Forgotten hardboiled eggs and smashed Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies.
Lunch: Peanut butter, sardine, zagnut and Gatorade powder on squished white bread.
Dinner: Ramen with dark specks and dried leaves....tuna for a dollar

Saturday:
Breakfast: NutterButter cheesey Oatmeal and Hershey Bar.
Lunch: Cheese Burgers with real cheese and real burger.
Dinner: AYCE Pizza night... AYCD beer for a dollars

Sunday:
Breakfast: Pepto-Bismol and Tums
Lunch: warm beer
Dinner: Immodium AD and saltine crackers.

Geez Krewzer, you mean I can't have my bulgur wheat and peanut sauce?

Can I at least wash my dishes in hot soapy water?

Krewzer
06-26-2007, 13:16
Geez Krewzer, you mean I can't have my bulgur wheat and peanut sauce?

Can I at least wash my dishes in hot soapy water?

Bulgar Night with Hot Soapy Pitas........... sounds more like contra dance night at the "home" featuring one of Warren's bands doesn't it?:p

Marta
06-26-2007, 13:44
The menu possibilities are so rich:

Coffee with bits of noodle floating in it.

Runny mac 'n cheese with crushed Goldfish mixed in.

Mac 'n cheese flavored with orange mystery powder, which turned out to be Tang.

Swiss Miss with a hint of teriyaki chicken.

Marta/Five-Leaf

mweinstone
06-26-2007, 18:13
what i ate one time was so messed up, old age hiker retierment communitys from bajha to new foundland scamper for the recipie to this day. the most unusual food ever created by accedent, hikerdom has seen since minnesota smith made a trailside canned octopuss smothie with granola. this recipie is so weird, so deadly nuroshingly horrid, in a super caloric kind of way, that it can only be mixed in total darkness as no one would be able to watch and then eat. it must be consumed unwittingly and only in a caloric emergency.
1/2 can hormell potted meat product . must be carryed one full week in open can in hot pack till rancid. if no rancid smell is detected, replace in pack extra day.
make pancake with white flour and water only. do not add other ingredients like salt or anything that may cook thouroly and taste like food.
add rancid meat to batter and burn hard. eat while still frowning.pot must be thrown away if prepared properly.

Cheesewhiz
06-26-2007, 19:18

After you thru hike and you meet some of these "characters" you realize some of them are real tough guys. tough enough to hit you in the back of the head with their KEYBOARDS when your not even looking.

what a SUCKER punch L.wolf

mweinstone
06-26-2007, 19:25
i thaught that story of rancid meat was good. no?

mweinstone
06-26-2007, 19:29
why not not post at all? serious question. is it the powerful pull of whiteblaze excitment? cause if i were you that wouold be my reason. im an addict. ive been riding the white blaze two years. i wouldnt leave if he hit me twice.

applejack
06-26-2007, 20:32
i'll offer you some praise matt. in fact, i think you should begin up your own 'in praise of matt' thread and and see if you can't compete with jester

Lone Wolf
06-27-2007, 07:30
After you thru hike and you meet some of these "characters" you realize some of them are real tough guys. tough enough to hit you in the back of the head with their KEYBOARDS when your not even looking.

don't know what you're talking about but i really don't like or associate with a lot of hikers. that ain't being tough, just truthful. i also wouldn't have a problem hitting you in the front of your head with a keyboard while looking you in the eye, if you deserved it.

Heater
06-27-2007, 08:01
The menu possibilities are so rich:

Runny mac 'n cheese with crushed Goldfish mixed in.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Mmmmm... THAT sounds good!

I usually use tadpoles though. They are free and you don't have to do extra miles to get to the pet store before it closes.

Skyline
06-27-2007, 08:58
If this hiker retirement village was close to Asheville, I could be very interested. Erwin ain't where it's at for me, tho I know a few really great folks live there starting with Miss Janet.

wilconow
06-27-2007, 09:52
don't know what you're talking about but i really don't like or associate with a lot of hikers. that ain't being tough, just truthful. i also wouldn't have a problem hitting you in the front of your head with a keyboard while looking you in the eye, if you deserved it.

this is why i make sure to read every single lone wolf post.

Nightwalker
06-27-2007, 22:42

He doesn't like hikers that think they're all special just because they're hiking. What's the problem with that? There's too damned many of them out there (and in here), and it gets old.

You treat him good and he'll do the same to you. He treats me better--in person--than most of the one-timers and never-been-theres around here do.

Miss Janet
06-28-2007, 13:07
Hey, Boys!!! Go muck up some other thread! I am trying to have a half way serious discussion about something very important to me. If you guys want to horseplay in my backyard I will be forced to get my big wooden spoon after you.

Marta
06-28-2007, 13:10
Hey, Boys!!! Go muck up some other thread! I am trying to have a half way serious discussion about something very important to me. If you guys want to horseplay in my backyard I will be forced to get my big wooden spoon after you.

...And make them wear silly aprons!:D

Have you got any ballpark figures on the acreage cost?

Marta/Five-Leaf

RiverWarriorPJ
06-28-2007, 13:26
x
price per & approx Lat/Long..??..

scothiker
06-28-2007, 15:19
Maybe - been looking for some land in GA/TN/NC mountains. GA - very expensive in most areas.

Questions - location, price/acre (or, what is the listing price of the larger parcel), is there sewer/septic, are there already gas/electric lines, or would we have to run them in? Roads? And you have to think about how to structure the purchase - how do the investors put their money in, and how and at what point is the larger parcel subdivided into the 15 sites (14 cabin sites for investors, 1 for the village) - and will the county allow the subdivision?

Great idea. All the properties I'm interested in are large parcels and more than I want to buy.

Cheesewhiz
06-28-2007, 18:00
Im sorry Miss Janet. My appologies. I'v always said I wanted to live in that area. I have family all up and down Roan, Iron and Holsten mountains. That entire area is absolutely breathtaking.

swift
06-28-2007, 18:09
so Janet, I'm interested. How about sending me some numbers and business plan. What you are needing to get, what you are wanting to get out of it, etc etc.

Miss Janet
06-28-2007, 19:33
Thank you all for your genuine interest in being a neighbor tp this project! I actually think it would be a great idea. I am encouraged to look at some other peoperty that I may have not even considered before. I will keep your questions in mind.

The land that I started this thread about is considered "mostly walkable" which means that not all 18 acres would be conducive to building on. About 3-4 acres is cleared and mostly level. There is public water at the road and several springs on the property but no public sewer... yet.. It is located on a dead end road that has several very close neighbors. Right now that is the biggest negative. I also think they are way toooo high at close to 13,500 an acre. But the search is really just beginning.

mweinstone
06-28-2007, 22:20
neighbors can be won over. or waited out till they die. morbid, yes. byt effective!

mweinstone
06-28-2007, 22:21
or did you mean close as in proximity. i assumed you ment close friends and not hiker friendly.

Miss Janet
06-29-2007, 01:05
I think I mean both??? Close friends as in good friends and close as in proximity. I think I could handle having most of you as neighbors... most of the time. Hey, if I got tired of someone then I could always send them HOME. Now I have to take them out into the woods and make them hike when I get tired of them. Boy, you can hear some of them crying and yelling for miles as I drive away and leave them with nothing but the pack on their back! I am not a nice person.

THOUGHT
I met a man who operates a business in Gatlinburg. He manages rental cabins. The way he works is that individual owners place thier property with him to take care of and to market and rent out. He has everything listed from rustic cabins to furnished chalets and condos. The owners let him know when thier property will/will not be available. Could something like this work with what I have in mind?

NEXT
I will be meeting in a few days with an attorney to discuss the pros and cons of incorperating as a Not For Profit. I am also being matched with a SCORE councelor. I have an appointment coming up with the SBA office locally in a few days as well. So, most question about a business plan and legal issues; I will be better prepared to discuss very soon.

Miss Janet
06-29-2007, 01:09
neighbors can be won over. or waited out till they die. morbid, yes. byt effective!

I understand what you mean now. I am just a little suspicious of the neighbors to the property I have been looking at. It seems like a very close knit little group all sharing driveways and such. They don't seem to be happy that this place is on the market. I have tried to speak to them when I am walking around up there but I haven't gotten good vibes.

Heater
06-29-2007, 01:22
I understand what you mean now. I am just a little suspicious of the neighbors to the property I have been looking at. It seems like a very close knit little group all sharing driveways and such. They don't seem to be happy that this place is on the market. I have tried to speak to them when I am walking around up there but I haven't gotten good vibes.

You gotta talk to the neighbors and be upfront. If there is bad vibes, go elsewhere or the hassles might be more than it is worth..

Also, can this land be subdivided?

berninbush
06-29-2007, 09:51
THOUGHT
I met a man who operates a business in Gatlinburg. He manages rental cabins. The way he works is that individual owners place thier property with him to take care of and to market and rent out. He has everything listed from rustic cabins to furnished chalets and condos. The owners let him know when thier property will/will not be available. Could something like this work with what I have in mind?

This very thought occurred to me last night, and I was wondering if I should suggest it to you. I thought about it because I was talking to my dad.... my parents currently live in Maryland for his job, but they might like to retire to your neck of the woods someday (they adore the Smokies). Buying land there *might* be a sensible investment for them if they had some kind of facility that could be rented out to recover the cost. But someone would have to be on-site to manage it for them. If you have time for that sort of thing, you'd be a logical choice.

scothiker
06-29-2007, 10:58
Miss Janet - if the neighbors aren't crazy about the land being sold, and you might even have to have it rezoned to have residential there, in addition to the subdivision, they could make it very dicey for you if they chose to take the time to come to public meetings, etc.

I still love the idea. Maybe it's just not the right parcel of land. Keep us posted.