PDA

View Full Version : Summer time foot care

Chaco Taco
06-25-2007, 22:41
What are some good socks for hot summer hiking? Also, any special secrets for handling the pain after a long sweaty day on your feet?

Footslogger
06-25-2007, 22:59
What worked best for me in 2003 was Ibuprofen, and Aspercreme foot rub and elevation ...oh yeah, and a good dinner and hydration.

And, if you're close to a cool stream ...a good foot dip !!

'Slogger

hammock engineer
06-25-2007, 23:07
I like my Smartwool socks year around. I always try to get my feet dried out at the end of the day. Airing them out feels really good. I use trail runners, so my feet seem to be wet from either rain or sweat in one form or another.

Lyle
06-25-2007, 23:13
Group foot rub circle. Everyone sits one behind the other, all facing the same direction and form a large circle. Place your feet in the lap of the person infront of you. You end up massaging the feet of the person behind you. It helps tremendously if everyone is very friendly, and "family". Also saves some potential sexual unease if there are equal male/female :-)

This feels incredibly good!!

buckowens
06-25-2007, 23:52
I just used my Smartwool Medium weight socks with Bridge dale liners for the last two weeks and they worked great! I had some Fox River socks as well, but the Smart wools were much better for me.

greentick
06-26-2007, 01:05
Smartwool Adrenaline socks rock. They are snug where they need to be an provide good padding. I wore them with trail shoes (dunham nimble xt). I compared them to dahlgren alpacas and eurosocks path woolsupremes (rei-outlet and STP addict). The adrenalines win hands down (for me). I would consider paying full price I like em so much.

fiddlehead
06-26-2007, 04:59
try lightweight nylon socks. they work for me when it's hot.
Earl Schaeffer didn't wear any socks. I tried it but my feet stank too much. Ruins the shoes too.

Jaybird
06-26-2007, 05:11
What are some good socks for hot summer hiking? Also, any special secrets for handling the pain after a long sweaty day on your feet?

the LITE hikers (shorties) always seem to work for me...:D

Quoddy
06-26-2007, 09:14
Smartwool Adrenaline LT socks and Inov-8 Terroc 330 (or Roclite 315) trail runners. Extra comfort and protection using Hydropel.

wilconow
06-26-2007, 10:05
I just starting using wrightsocks with my montrail trailrunners and it worked well on a week long trip.

http://www.wrightsock.com/

It may be a good idea to bring some extra liners, just in case you need some more padding

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-26-2007, 11:03
Whenever I'm on a 12-18 mile day, I like to stop mid-day somewhere near cold water and soak my feet for ten or fifteen minutes. I allow them to air dry thoroughly in the Sun while I have lunch, and then put on clean sock liners under thick wool socks. Then I wash out the morning's liners and hang them on my pack to dry.
Yes, the outer socks are warm, but the extra padding has always prevented hot spots and blisters!

Marta
06-26-2007, 12:00
I like well-ventilated trail runners, thin socks, several shoes-and-socks-off stops during the day, and a Purell foot cleansing followed by self-massage at the end of the day. (The self-massage also works great if you get tourist-foot tramping around museums and city streets.) I wash my socks often (hence the importance of thin socks that will dry easily) and take the insoles out of my shoes to dry them at night.

Yeah, I'm a clean freak.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Time To Fly 97
06-26-2007, 15:01
A friend of mine on the PCT (Tripod) brought a tennis ball to roll around under his feet whenever he stopped. I tried it once and it felt great. No weight either.

Happy hiking!

TTF

hammock engineer
06-26-2007, 15:39
A friend of mine on the PCT (Tripod) brought a tennis ball to roll around under his feet whenever he stopped. I tried it once and it felt great. No weight either.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Duel purpose item, something to entertain yourself with. You could always ask people if they know where the closest tennis court is.