PDA

View Full Version : camping noob and hammocks

jiggatravels
06-26-2007, 13:21
Ok so I am a complete noob to the whole camping thing. I've been on numerous day hikes in Florida and in the Appalachians and Arizona but have yet to actually sleep outside. I know, I know. That said, the desire and work interrupting daydreaming about hiking the entirety of the AT has pretty much consumed my every waking moment for the better part of 2 years. I am toying around with the idea of a 2009 thru hike but obviously I am starting from scratch with even the basic equipment. I've been lurking for a few days and trolling google and have discovered the rabid followers of the hammocks. I have to say probably my biggest issue and challenge to doing my first actual camping trip is the annoyance of knowing that I have to hike long days...then sleep uncomfortably on the ground with spiders. Emphasis on the latter.

So here's the question (the first of many I'm sure), what is the feasibility of a complete camping newbie starting with a hammock and just completely skipping over the tents altogether? Also is there an easy way to set up said hammock in my backyard sans trees (considering my idiot of a landlord just cut down my one and only tree)? Oh and I'm 5'11 and not skinny by any stretch, is a hammock going to annoy the ever loving crap outta me?

Any advice would be great. I am really loving this place so far!

peace,
jenn :sun

dshepard
06-26-2007, 13:29
I would say yes, you can skip tents. I am just now getting into hammocks with my son and they are so much more comfortable than tents (IMO). Check out http://www.hammockforums.net/ for all the info you could ever want on hammocks.

scope
06-26-2007, 13:44
Completely feasible. If getting into and out of the hammock is an issue of potential annoyance, then you may do better with a Hennessy that has the bottom entry.

hammock engineer
06-26-2007, 14:03
Hammocks are great. I think without them or a really thick DAM I would have issues on a long hike.

You can make one really easily if you know how to sew. If not I would suggest checking out www.speerhammocks.com (http://www.speerhammocks.com) in addition to hennessy. Those are the 2 biggest ones out there.

I bought a commerical stand. It was a little pricey, but I like it. You can make one of these for pretty cheap.

Don't worry about starting from stratch. I did that a couple years ago. Hammocks have a definite learning curve to them. Not a lot harder, just different than tenting. Just don't give up without asking or a lot of practice.

redtail
06-26-2007, 14:30
As far as your yard being treeless shouldn't be a problem, you can make or buy a stand. Jump over to http://www.hammockforums.net/ and search for "hammock stand", there are lots of messages on the subject, both homemade and store bought.

peter_pan
06-26-2007, 16:37
Skipping the cost of tents is a great idea if you think you'd like to go the hammock route.... you'll save money and be more comfortable.

Pan

FanaticFringer
06-26-2007, 18:47
Come on over to the dark side at www.hammockforums.net
I would first recommend that you go to www.tothewoods.net
and go to the hammock camping section. Really great info.that a noob
like yourself needs to read about from the get go. It is run by the
moderator at hammockforums.net

jiggatravels
06-26-2007, 21:36
Wow thanks for all the help! I'll have to saunter on over the hammockforums it seems. :)

FanaticFringer
06-26-2007, 22:06
Wow thanks for all the help! I'll have to saunter on over the hammockforums it seems. :)

Consider yourself a "Made" woman in the hammock hangin mafia.:cool:

peanuts
06-27-2007, 08:36
also check ed speers hammock group in yahoo. he is full of wise info.

RockyBob
06-27-2007, 08:53

Welcome to the hammock hangin mafia :welcome