PDA

View Full Version : hiking is primitive, lonewolf is modern.

mweinstone
06-26-2007, 19:17
it takes alot to be comfortable in ones own skin.we are primatives living in, and operating, a modern world. it leaves us giddy, oft times drunk with power, sometimes in control, and seldom ourselves.
hiking , on the other hand. is not life as we know it. its life as we used to know it. as our forbearers knew life. sometimes lonewolf points out that ridiculusness hikers seem to exude after even one trip to the wilds. we come back all weirded out and acting like asses sometimes. hikers suffer from attitudes and weird afflictions . like gear buffs and knowitalls and holyer than thous and bossy people and not just a normal crossection of weirdness mind you. hikerdom has a big percentage of inspector gadgets and missguided dreamers. to a point where its not only funny. its also not funny. it gets sad. it even makes otherwise sane folks outright angry what with the things hikers do and say and how they act. we are not a groupe of chess players meeting for a match. we arent doctors or lawers when were in hike mode. were downright weird when we're doin what it is we do. all stinky and farting on each other and eating swine. lonewolfs calling a spade a spade is normal. he sees us when were comming off trail all pumped up and stupid. lets face it. were the weirdest organized group of anybodys anywhere. we need lonewolfs crits. he speaks as a modern. to primitves who are really just weekend skitzos.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2007, 19:25
Shelters suck. Hiking poles are for weenies. Real men don't filter water.

Yahtzee
06-26-2007, 20:17
Tater,

Sounds like you drank the Kool-Aid man. I'd like to stage an intervention. Maybe get some of these LW mantras out of your head. I live by Lincoln Center, I would be glad to meet with you and take you somewhere to get some help.

It is child's play to mock the earnest, but LW has decided to make it a daily habit. Come back to the light, Tater. You don't have to be a snark to be cool. That's only in Brooklyn.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2007, 20:18
Actually, L. Wolf is paying me to say those things to save him the trouble. It's inevitable, might as well just give in.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-26-2007, 20:42
::: Dino awaits LW's arrival so she can watch him go medieval on somebody's hinney :::

gold bond
06-26-2007, 20:53
"When I'm hungry...I eat, When I'm tired....I sleep, and when I gotta you know...well, I, you know!"

Dances with Mice
06-26-2007, 22:27
"When I'm hungry...I eat, When I'm tired....I sleep, and when I gotta you know...well, I, you know!"Juggle five flaming torches in continuous backcrosses?

Dr O
06-26-2007, 22:32
Juggle five flaming torches in continuous backcrosses?

All while taking that leak. :)

Skidsteer
06-26-2007, 22:36
"When I'm hungry...I eat, When I'm tired....I sleep, and when I gotta you know...well, I, you know!"

Juggle five flaming torches in continuous backcrosses?

That's rarely happens. Well. Okay. It sometimes happens after an evening appetizer of jalepeno okra.

Nightwalker
06-26-2007, 22:54
All while taking that leak. :)

Through the pants, down the leg.

Dr O
06-26-2007, 23:06
Through the pants, down the leg.

and calculating ounces lost.

Roland
06-27-2007, 03:30
Some of you have way too much free time.

mweinstone
06-27-2007, 05:25
tater zips up and notices roland in the next urinal,"yeah, just took a 2 pounder" gonna hike sweet today!
roland dumps pack in trash can and thumbs home never to hike again.

Lone Wolf
06-27-2007, 07:05

'bout time you realize that city boy:rolleyes:

Dr O
06-27-2007, 07:29
Some of you have way too much free time.

That's a safe assumption when spoken on a forum about a six month walk. :p

redtail
06-27-2007, 11:41
Yeah, it's like a broken record. When a record skips, it's annoying. Even if it's a good song.

Dr O
06-27-2007, 21:21
Yeah, it's like a broken record. When a record skips, it's annoying. Even if it's a good song.

Ever play it backwards? :eek:

octogon
06-28-2007, 00:03
I think theres a lot of pressure on the trail to out-eccentric and out-hippie other long-distance hikers to gain acceptance within the group. Theres always seems to be an unspoken competition between hikers for the oddest trail name or register entry that kind of gets on my nerves sometimes. Honestly, I find about 80 percent of the thru-hiker type people I meet are downright obnoxious. I doubt these people are that annoying in the real world, but theres something about the annonymity of the trail and the increase of energy hikers gain that really makes some people go bat**** crazy.

mweinstone
06-29-2007, 06:43
tater is that you fake posting?

Appalachian Tater
06-29-2007, 09:23
No, you lost me on this thread with your mysterious post at 05:25 on 6/27 but I must say, your posts have started to become perfectly intelligible to me. I am afraid that one morning when I look in the mirror I will have Eraserhead hair just like you.

Johnny Thunder
06-29-2007, 09:34
Fact: Eraserhead was filmed (in part) at the U Arts. Right down the road from Mr Matthewski, himself. Dune too. Well, actually Dune was filmed in AC (but, that's close enough). Lost Highway is actually this story I told David Lynch about this time I got stuck on 95 South but couldn't find any signs and all I had was my Saxamaphone. Then, there's Mullholand Drive...Totally, filmed on Kelly Drive. Fact. Twin Peaks was filmed in Vancouver. Fact

John

scope
06-29-2007, 10:11
Ever play it backwards? :eek:

suck shelters?

gold bond
06-29-2007, 10:34
Well....I use hiking poles due to knee surgery last year and my ortho said it was a "smart" thing to do.

I as well filter my water...not all the time, but most.

I as well use the shelters...I enjoy talking to people and do find them annoying sometimes but for the most of the time I enjoy talking to other hikers and their past experiences etc... I have found that alot of the places I've hiked they have as well or they may have some good advice for trails that I want to hike.

If your a loner or like most "old men" or "old women"....just don't want to be bothered by anything or anyone, you know the ones...their life sucks so bad they don't have anything nice to say, then just have a couple of tshirts made up that says, "leave this unsociable 'ol fart alone....this means you!"

I'm sure everyone will "respect" your wishes...HAPPY TRAILS!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-29-2007, 12:56
If your a loner or like most "old men" or "old women"....just don't want to be bothered by anything or anyone, you know the ones...their life sucks so bad they don't have anything nice to say, then just have a couple of tshirts made up that says, "leave this unsociable 'ol fart alone....this means you!"::: Dino bites gold bond on toes for characterizing us ol' farts as unsocialable :D :::

Blue Jay
06-29-2007, 13:29
I am afraid that one morning when I look in the mirror I will have Eraserhead hair just like you.

That has already happened to me and is a common side effect of mweinstone exposure. It even happens to women. You should see what Jan Lightshoe looks like now.

mweinstone
06-29-2007, 14:00
i have a matfro.

Wonder
06-29-2007, 14:11
::: Dino awaits LW's arrival so she can watch him go medieval on somebody's hinney :::

Dino.....Do I have to take away your Weird Al album again????

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-29-2007, 14:40
::: dino tucks tail between legs and slinks off to corner without Weird Al :::
(Dino was exposed to Weird Al by grandkids)

gold bond
06-29-2007, 17:52
Mr. Dino, I never classified "anyone" (you for certain!) or any "sub-culter" as " 'ol farts" as I am getting to "that period" in my life...but it seems as though there are certain "entities" on this thread that seem to think that any "non sacrifice" or any "convienance" is concidered as "whimpy" or "lazy" (see walking to school uphill in snow and 95 degree weather without shoes and water thread) and have not considered "all" the facts. Alot of "broad generalazations" ( I know..spelling ain't one of mah high points!) have been made without all the facts.

Please, please do not bite my toes...it's sometimes hard enough to walk much less hike with 'em in good condition! I loves what I do....with poles or without 'em...filtering water or staying in a shelter...whatever...I love to get away from the computers...cell phones...whatever.

My spirit just doesen't look down..he looks up and all around!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-29-2007, 19:07
:::: Dino pulls Gold Bond up on lap and patches up his toes ::::
PS - the Dino that post is a she-dino. The he-dino lives on Ebay :D

Nightwalker
06-30-2007, 08:46
I as well use the shelters...I enjoy talking to people...That's my favorite use of shelters. Talking to folks and cooking supper out of the rain. I also like the registers.

I've probably only stayed in a shelter 20 times total. Mostly when I was just too tired to set up, or when I didn't want to set up in the rain, or even when I was lonely and a new friend was in the shelter.

They're good and they're bad, but they're a part of AT tradition, so we'll most likely always have them around.

Gray Blazer
06-30-2007, 15:39
were downright weird when we're doin what it is we do. all stinky and farting on each other and eating swine. lonewolfs calling a spade a spade is normal. he sees us when were comming off trail all pumped up and stupid. lets face it. were the weirdest organized group of anybodys anywhere. we need lonewolfs crits. he speaks as a modern. to primitves who are really just weekend skitzos.

I'm not weird, I'm just like you. I miss you, you crazy nut. I'll be back online in mid August. JJ

Gray Blazer
06-30-2007, 15:54
I'm running out of time here so instead of starting a new thread I'll just post all my news here cuz I know everybody reads Matty's Threads. I did manage to get a coula afternoons on the FL Trail around Keystone Heights. Camp Blanding had some beautiful large N FL lakes with beautiful wild flowers. Etonah State Forest is rather unique. I saw a victim of the drought in the bottom of a dried up sinkhole about 60 feet deep and 100 feet across. It was a small gator that had buried his behind in the sand and died. It was amazing that his bones were left untouched. I think I was the first to find him. Sad. That same afternoon I was stalked by Bigfoot. No $hi+!! A coupla days later going the other direction I ran into a mama bear and her 2 cubs. I got a pic of one cub (the mama ran when I turned on the digital camera) and I'll post it in August if it turned out.

aaroniguana
06-30-2007, 20:22
In Florida, Bigfoot is known as the Skunk Ape. In my youth I saw (and smelled) them several times from Big Cypress to Okefenokee.

thestin
06-30-2007, 21:32
Dino was exposed to Weird Al by grandkids)

You should expose grandkids to Weird Al's father...a famous polka artist.

RockStar
06-30-2007, 22:00
In Florida, Bigfoot is known as the Skunk Ape. In my youth I saw (and smelled) them several times from Big Cypress to Okefenokee.

Those were hikers digesting a Mountain House meal. ;)

aaroniguana
06-30-2007, 22:07
That explains the smell, what about the grunts, the matted hair, the running through the swamps at high speed, the reclusive behaviour...

...wait. Did Baltimore Jack spend any time in FL in the 70s?

Dr O
07-01-2007, 00:03

Sure it wasn't just another hiker? :)