PDA

View Full Version : Train into NYC

jmcdonou
06-26-2007, 21:11
I'm headed SOBO and was wondering where I could meet a train to take me into New York City.

jamarshall
06-26-2007, 21:33
There's a station near Pawling NY where the trail crosses NY22. No idea what the schedule is, I passed it on a Saturday and saw no trains.

Cookerhiker
06-26-2007, 21:56
Use this link (http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm) to arrive at the Metro NY route map and navigate from there. You'll find that service from Pawling (a reasonable hitch down Rt. 22) is fairly frequent. I've done it myself twice. In fact, if you look at the photo galleries under Trail Towns for NY & NJ, you'll see my photos of the train in Pawling and of me in full backpacking regalia on the streets of NYC.

The Appalachian Trail train station where the AT passes by only has 2-3 trains and only on weekends.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2007, 21:58
Bus from DWG or Bear Mountain.

Shasta
06-26-2007, 22:48
Going southbound- In the southern part of Harriman State Park, after you go through the lemon squeezer, cross the interstate and climb back up agony grind you'll come across a blue-blaze trail crossing the AT. It's not marked as to what it is but to the right (reverse for northbound) it's the sapphire trail that goes about ~1.5 miles and dumps you out on a road across from the Metro-North Harriman Train station (To the left it goes to a lookout I think- again reverse for northbound) This is the Port Jervis line. If you look it up on the MTA, they can get you schedules but it's a commuter train that runs fairly frequently.

Alternately, if you can hitch a few miles into Tuxedo Park at the road just before Agony Grind (just after agony grind going north), the same train stops at the commuter rail station there. I've taken the train out to Harriman, hiked up the blue-blaze, joined up with the A.T., crossed the road , hiked around Harriman and made my way through the park back to the town of Tuxedo Park to pick up the train back to N.Y.C. several times. :)

I'm new to NYC and might have made some mistakes in the above description, but have found it to be successful so far. Good luck on your hike!

Good luck!

Shasta
GA->ME '06

jmcdonou
06-26-2007, 22:55
Thanks for all of your help.

Widespread is playing Radio Music City Hall and I may take a few zeros downtown

mrc237
06-26-2007, 23:13
July 26 they're at Wallingford Ct an AT town!

oldbear
06-26-2007, 23:17
Where are you ? Amtrak has a train that will take you from White River Jct VT to Penn Station. Take a cab from Hanover NH
LV WRJ 11:05 AM ARR NYP 6:25 PM $58.00
LV NYP 11:30 AM ARR WRJ 6:50 PM $58.00

Alligator
06-27-2007, 08:41
Use this link (http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm) to arrive at the Metro NY route map and navigate from there. You'll find that service from Pawling (a reasonable hitch down Rt. 22) is fairly frequent. I've done it myself twice. In fact, if you look at the photo galleries under Trail Towns for NY & NJ, you'll see my photos of the train in Pawling and of me in full backpacking regalia on the streets of NYC.

The Appalachian Trail train station where the AT passes by only has 2-3 trains and only on weekends.I think that is Rt 20 that goes into Pawling. Nobody picked me up:( . During weekdays, the train runs about every 2 hours from Pawling.

Cookerhiker
06-27-2007, 08:43
I think that is Rt 20 that goes into Pawling. Nobody picked me up:( . During weekdays, the train runs about every 2 hours from Pawling.

Nope, it's NY Rt. 22 which runs up the entire eastern strip of NY.

US Rt. 20 runs east-west further north of Pawling. The trail crosses US 20 in Mass. near Pittsfield and the Mass Pike.

Alligator
06-27-2007, 08:55

US Rt. 20 runs east-west further north of Pawling. The trail crosses US 20 in Mass. near Pittsfield and the Mass Pike.I don't know Cookerhiker, I just walked it last friday but I honestly didn't remember, so I looked it up in the AT database. I did see the oak tree at this crossing.

P.O. (2.9E), SUPPLIES (2.9E), CAMPING (3.1E) - Pawling, NY 12564, County Rte 20 (West Dover Road);—Ron and Holly Champion, and their sons, Kevin and Patrick, who live in the gray house east of the Trail, have Coleman fuel for sale; water is available from a tap at the end of their lower walk. Please don’t knock at door. East 3.1 miles to Pawling, N.Y. [P.O. ZIP 12564: M–F 8:30–5, Sa 9–12; (845) 855-1010]. Camping: The town allows hikers to camp in its EdwardR.MurrowMemorial Park, 1 mile from the center of Main Street. The park offers lake swimming, restroom, town on West and pay phone. No dogs permitted. Two-night maximum. Lodging: Sharadu B&B, (845) 855-1790, regularly $75, special hiker rate of $55, with continental B, no pets, call ahead. Groceries: A&G Food Market (long-term resupply). Restaurants: Vinny’s Deli & Pasta and Great Wall Chinese. Other services: coin laundry, banks with ATM, pharmacy, bookstore, bar, and Metro-North station with train service to NYC. Call (800) METRO-INFO for fare and schedule.
Dover Oak— Located on the north side of West Dover Road, this is reportedly the largest oak tree on the A.T. Its girth four feet from the ground is 20 feet, 4 inches, and it is estimated to be more than 300 years old.

P.S. I think the house mentioned above is purple not gray. The Companion says purple and there was a purple (light) house.

Appalachian Tater
06-27-2007, 09:12
http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&tab=wl&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=map%20pawling

It's Rte 20 north of the city where the trail crosses and passes the oak. [Rte 22 is in Pawling as well.] I

n 2006 the house was definitely purple. I walked into Pawling in 2006 (no ride) and took the train home. There is a great Mexican restaurant/grocery store behind the train station--ate there when I went back, too. I did get a ride back out to the trail from a very nice man with a pickup truck full of bags of charcoal and got water at the purple house.

Cookerhiker
06-27-2007, 09:13
I don't know Cookerhiker, I just walked it last friday but I honestly didn't remember, so I looked it up in the AT database. I did see the oak tree at this crossing.

P.O. (2.9E), SUPPLIES (2.9E), CAMPING (3.1E) - Pawling, NY 12564, County Rte 20 (West Dover Road);—Ron and Holly Champion, and their sons, Kevin and Patrick, who live in the gray house east of the Trail, have Coleman fuel for sale; water is available from a tap at the end of their lower walk. Please don’t knock at door. East 3.1 miles to Pawling, N.Y. [P.O. ZIP 12564: M–F 8:30–5, Sa 9–12; (845) 855-1010]. Camping: The town allows hikers to camp in its EdwardR.MurrowMemorial Park, 1 mile from the center of Main Street. The park offers lake swimming, restroom, town on West and pay phone. No dogs permitted. Two-night maximum. Lodging: Sharadu B&B, (845) 855-1790, regularly $75, special hiker rate of $55, with continental B, no pets, call ahead. Groceries: A&G Food Market (long-term resupply). Restaurants: Vinny’s Deli & Pasta and Great Wall Chinese. Other services: coin laundry, banks with ATM, pharmacy, bookstore, bar, and Metro-North station with train service to NYC. Call (800) METRO-INFO for fare and schedule.
Dover Oak— Located on the north side of West Dover Road, this is reportedly the largest oak tree on the A.T. Its girth four feet from the ground is 20 feet, 4 inches, and it is estimated to be more than 300 years old.

P.S. I think the house mentioned above is purple not gray. The Companion says purple and there was a purple (light) house.

Aha! That's County Route 20 - the Dover Oak is at the road crossing. A much more obscure road. - no wonder you had trouble getting a ride!:o

NY State Route 22 is only 2.4 trail miles north of County Rt. 20 and a much easier hitch.

Alligator
06-27-2007, 09:25
Aha! That's County Route 20 - the Dover Oak is at the road crossing. A much more obscure road. - no wonder you had trouble getting a ride!:o

NY State Route 22 is only 2.4 trail miles north of County Rt. 20 and a much easier hitch.I see where you are talking about. The Companion doesn't note that RT 22 goes to Pawling, but Tater's map helps. I didn't go that far because the train is listed farther from 22 to Wingdale than Rt 20 to Pawling.

You are correct, County Rt 20 is not a great hitch. It had plenty of traffic (early afternoon) but the shoulder was narrow (no pulloffs) and everyone was doing 50+ MPH. There wasn't a decent place to wait at the AT road crossing (near the oak) as far as I could see. It's a fairly flat walk though I did it in under 45 minutes.

QHShowoman
06-27-2007, 09:36
July 26 they're at Wallingford Ct an AT town!

That doesn't seem right. The AT runs through the northwestern side of the state, starting in around Kent, CT and exiting around Salisbury. Wallingford, CT is in the central part of the state, south of Hartford. Are you sure you're not thinking of Wallingford, VT?

Uncle Silly
06-27-2007, 09:47

NY State Route 22 is only 2.4 trail miles north of County Rt. 20 and a much easier hitch.

You'll know you found NY State Rte 22 when you cross the train tracks next to the platform that says "Appalachian Trail". The road is a few more yards down trail (up trail?) from the tracks.

mrc237
06-27-2007, 12:33
That doesn't seem right. The AT runs through the northwestern side of the state, starting in around Kent, CT and exiting around Salisbury. Wallingford, CT is in the central part of the state, south of Hartford. Are you sure you're not thinking of Wallingford, VT?

My bad! Still may have a better chance getting tix there than RCMH.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-27-2007, 13:01
Weekends Lv AT Station 2:41PM [/URL]Arr Grand Central 4:35PM (http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/ref.htm) 4:41PM 6:35PM (http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/ref.htm) 6:35PM [URL="http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/ref.htm"]8:34PM
One-way fare is $11.50
This is the RR Station adjacent to the AT crossing of NY RT. 22. It stops at this station ONLY on Saturday and Sunday! There are morning trains from Grand Central to the AT on weekends.

Appalachian Tater
06-27-2007, 13:02
It also stops there on holidays like 4 July.

ATFLASH2003
06-13-2008, 15:54
And I think it's $12 unless you purchase tickets ahead of time.

I thru-hiked in 2003 and am hiking with my mom (Sash) in NJ/NY and am going to take the train into the city on Sunday. Any suggestions, warnings, encouragements, contacts, etc?

sasquatch2014
06-13-2008, 20:53

US Rt. 20 runs east-west further north of Pawling. The trail crosses US 20 in Mass. near Pittsfield and the Mass Pike.

Yes that is true but it is also correct as there is a Dutchess County Rd 20 which is the route most hikers use to get from the trail into town. Its the road right at the Dover Oak Tree.

If you need help with the train thing when you get to the AT train stop give me a shout my number is posted on the small kiosk with train schedule if you happen to need to get to the town train stop during the weekday. I will be gone a bit this summer so if you know better as to when you are planning this send me a PM. Glad to help.