PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best overnight hike around Gatlinburg TN.?

RockStar
06-26-2007, 21:59
I will be going to Gatlinburg for work around July 16 or after. I am looking for an overnight spot for myself and an inexperienced friend. (*mumbles shes my crutch for the fact that Ill be going slow b/c I am out of shape...again... .;) ) Basically nothing too strenuous though it IS HIKING.

She will be using a tent and I will be using a hammock...if they are permitted. If not I will be using *gulp* a tent. Oh the horror. :eek: I will check all that info out when I get the park passes. Any advice will be much appreciated. :banana

Cookerhiker
06-26-2007, 22:13
I will be going to Gatlinburg for work around July 16 or after. I am looking for an overnight spot for myself and an inexperienced friend. (*mumbles shes my crutch for the fact that Ill be going slow b/c I am out of shape...again... .;) ) Basically nothing too strenuous though it IS HIKING.

She will be using a tent and I will be using a hammock...if they are permitted. If not I will be using *gulp* a tent. Oh the horror. :eek: I will check all that info out when I get the park passes. Any advice will be much appreciated. :banana

A few weeks ago, I did a one-nighter starting at Cosby Campground, hiking up the Lower Mt. Cammerer trail to the AT, hiking south on the AT to Cosby Knob shelter where I stayed the night, and returned the next morning down the Cosby Trail at Low Gap. 13 miles first day (plus we did the side trail to the fire tower, RT of 1.2 miles) and more significantly 2,600' of net elevation gain so it may not meet your criteria for "nothing too strenuous." Second day was only about 3 miles.

Chaco Taco
06-26-2007, 22:42
Hike up to Mt Cammerer from Davenport Gap and stay in the tower or stealth near the side trail just off the AT, also just go to Cosby Knob Shelter. Lots of up through the day but nice on the way down. Park at Standing Bear and head up. Either way, enjoy your trip!

KG4FAM
06-26-2007, 22:55
Though it is not much of a hike from Newfound Gap, Icewater Spring Shelter has a beautiful view from the shelter. One thing to do to add on to this option is Charlie's Bunion and stay the night at Icewater.

Chaco Taco
06-26-2007, 22:57
Though it is not much of a hike from Newfound Gap, Icewater Spring Shelter has a beautiful view from the shelter. One thing to do to add on to this option is Charlie's Bunion and stay the night at Icewater.

Ah yes, very nice. :sun

Chaco Taco
06-26-2007, 22:58
And there is always Max Patch if you have nice weather.

Krewzer
06-26-2007, 23:54
Mt LeConte. Book into the lodge and dayhike up with no gear other than lunch, water and snacks. Take the AT and Boulevard Trail up and Alum Cave Bluff trail down.

RockStar
06-27-2007, 06:45
Thought about starting at Newfound and saw the shelter was kinda close but, still an option to go farther.

Mt LeConte. Book into the lodge and dayhike up with no gear other than lunch, water and snacks. Take the AT and Boulevard Trail up and Alum Cave Bluff trail down.

I for SURE want to stay the night in the woods. As I miss being in the woods AND I have yet to sleep a night in my hammock. I have set it up and lounged in it, no sleep. I need the practice. I do want to climb LeConte in the future though!

Thanks all. I'm gonna check out th logistics of the mentioned.

Cookerhiker
06-27-2007, 07:38

No way there's vacancy at LeConte on such short notice unless you call on the day and hope someone cancelled.

stumpy
06-27-2007, 08:54
You could do the La Conte hike and stay in the shelter, but it will probably be crowded. It is very, very hard to get a room in the lodge. It would be impossable to get one on short notice, unless there is a cancelation.

hammock engineer
06-27-2007, 10:26
You might want to get a Smokies Trail Map. There is something like 800 miles of trails in the park, with only 80 something on the AT.

If you want a nice day hike the Chimmey Tops are a pretty popular spot. Not too bad until you get towards the top. Probibly only 3 or 4 mles round trip.

hammock engineer
06-27-2007, 10:28
Forgot to add that you can drive and park within 100 yds or so from the top of Clingman's Dome. Not a bad little touron walk on a paved trail to a giant cement sturcture. Good views from the highest point east of the Mississippi.

tombone
06-27-2007, 16:55
on monday they started a road repair project on clingman's dome road - i think it is to shore up the road from a rock slide. i don't know how that'll impact traffic up there, prolly a flagman at least. the paving project on the nc side of 441 was known to tie up traffic for quite a while some days over the past year or so.

Ridgerunner50
06-27-2007, 17:28
It's a little drive from Gatlinburg but an east beautiful hike can be had from Big Creek. There is an east five mile hike along the Big Creek back to campsite 37, I believe. I used my hammock there on three occasions with no problems. The elevation gain is really easy and there are two waterfalls along the trail. We actually took a break and had lunch on a huge boulder in the middle of Big Creek. There are many options out of Big Creek as the Mt. Cammerer tower is to the north and the Mt. Sterling tower is to the south, both within a days hike but at a steeper climb. I find myself drawn back to this area year after year.

RockStar
06-27-2007, 18:06
Thanks guys! I actually want to hike in -camp- hike out. I will have to help tear down my bosses booth and pack his precious stained glass after hiking. So I don't wanna push too much but, don't want to miss the beautiful hiking and sweet slumber in the woods! I also would prefer to avoid crowded shelters. I am going to let my friend use my old *gulp* tent. :eek: I know friends dont let friends sleep on the ground but, friends also don't sleep with friends in a single nest hammock!:confused: ;)

Big Creek sounds nice. I am a sucker for a waterfall! hehe I am just going to work several different options out and see whats what when we get there.

I appreciate all the info though! You guys really are great! Thanks!

kyhiker1
06-27-2007, 18:39
Big Creek Trail out of Big Creek Campground has a gentle upslope for around 5.1 miles,passing Mouse Creek falls and you could stay at campsite #37 at Walnut Bottoms.The trail doesnt end here but junctions with Low Gap Trail,Swallow Fork Trail and on to Gunter Fork Trail.The area is beautiful and I frequent here 5-7 times a year.

RockStar
06-27-2007, 19:27
You guys are selling me on this big Creek Trail. Tell me one of the Waterfalls is really a Dark-Lager-Fall and Im sold.

Lone Wolf
06-27-2007, 19:31
You guys are selling me on this big Creek Trail. Tell me one of the Waterfalls is really a Dark-Lager-Fall and Im sold.

it's one of my favorite blue-blazes in the smokys. GREAT swimming hole about 2 miles south of the campground/ranger station

RockStar
06-27-2007, 19:35
Swimming! L.W.s favorite spot! Blue Blaze KINGS favorite spot. Im there. Do I still need a permit to hike there? If so/not will the Rangers Station have maps to sell or the outfitter in gatlinburg? I like maps. Great TP in case of emergency. ;)

Lone Wolf
06-27-2007, 19:38
Swimming! L.W.s favorite spot! Blue Blaze KINGS favorite spot. Im there. Do I still need a permit to hike there? If so/not will the Rangers Station have maps to sell or the outfitter in gatlinburg? I like maps. Great TP in case of emergency. ;)

Get the Nat. Geographic Trails Illustrated map of the Smokys. Best map out there