PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on Shenandoah

twosticks
06-27-2007, 10:15
All,
I am putting together a plan to section Shenandoah NP next year and I was wondering what the best time to do that hike would be. I guess the best mixture of tourons, bears, weather and heat. Thanks for your input.

twosticks

Creek Dancer
06-27-2007, 10:39
My favorite time in the SNP is October. Beautiful fall colors, lower humidity, crowds are down, and cool evenings.

QHShowoman
06-27-2007, 10:44
I second what creek dancer said. Aim for late Fall -- Oct/November. We only get like 2 weeks of real spring weather before the heat and humidity kicks in, so fall is the best time, in my opinion.

wilconow
06-27-2007, 10:47
damn tourons stand on the left side of the metro escalator!

i would go either during the week and/or to the southern section to avoid the crowds

heat in the forest doesnt bother me much but i still cant imagine it getting too bad anytime of year at 3-4000 ft

wallace
06-27-2007, 12:08
I recently finished section hiking SNP. I chose to go the last week in May for the following reasons.

All the park's camp stores, waysides, etc.... are open.
Alot of through hikers in the park going north. I went south with the hopes of meeting and talking to some.
Won't be too hot although it was hotter than average the week I went.
All the foliage is out and flowers were blooming.
Unlike the fall, the days are long.
Memorial day was in the week and hence one less day of vacation to use.

Here is my blog with details and pictures.
http://homerandthumbsgohiking.blogspot.com (http://homerandthumbsgohiking.blogspot.com/)

pumatrack
06-27-2007, 12:34
I hike in SNP twice a week... The best time is late Sept, early Oct. before the colors come out. The tourons will drive you insane if you go later than that.:eek:

Bear Bait

teachergal
06-27-2007, 12:41
I too hike in SNP frequently - personally I like early Spring - March and April. It's still cold (I like it cold!), the leaves are off the trees so they aren't obscuring the views, the snow/ice is mostly gone, and there aren't that many people because most of the facilities aren't open yet. Now I just do day hikes, for backpacking you might want the facilities.

My other fav season in the park is winter....although prob not to backpack.

I find fall to be way to crowded and summer is way too hot!
Have a great hike and be sure to post here with a trip report!

Cookerhiker
06-27-2007, 16:32
I've hiked all 4 seasons there and experienced everything. Like most of the other posters, I like the fall also but I still recommend Spring, specifically the 2nd and 3rd week of May to take in the wildflowers - Trillium, Fringed Phacelia (my favorite, higher elevations only), Wild geranium.

I also like Teacher Gal's points; hiking after the dead of winter but before the leaves are out is one of my favorite times. A few flowers push up (eg Bloodroot), you can see views through the still-denuded trees, days are warm enough for hiking, nights are not frigid.

It's a wonderful Park - you should have a great time.

leeki pole
06-27-2007, 16:57
my wildflower favorites this time of year are passion flower and spiderwort:D beautiful park

BlackCloud
06-27-2007, 17:02
:sun WINTER BABY!:sun

There ain't no one out there. It's the only time there aren't Harleys roaring down the Drive, ruining that "wilderness" experience.

twosticks
06-29-2007, 12:55
Thanks all for the ideas. I'll fill you in on when it was and how it was, but it'll be next year. Thanks again.