PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag question

hiker5
10-09-2003, 10:55
The bag in question:

LONG 15/30° METAMORPH CONVERTIBLE POLARGUARDŽ 3D SLEEPING BAG by SIERRA DESIGNS (For Men)

I'd like to get some opinions on this bag for a thru hike (SOBO June '04). I like the idea of a convertible to lighten my load during the warmer months, without having to buy a second bag for when nights start to get colder.

So what do you think? :-?

BTW, I really have enjoyed all the info availible on this site. Thanks!

BiteBlaze
10-09-2003, 14:23
Sounds like a crock to me.

Trail Yeti
10-09-2003, 14:40
It would probably be lighter to go with two seperate bags....

chris
10-14-2003, 10:01
A friend used convertible golite this summer and liked it. I'd rather use a down bag, which is going to be a lot lighter than a synthetic, let alone a convertible synthetic. If you only want a single bag, buy a 25 or 30 bag from a respectable company.

MedicineMan
10-15-2003, 00:22
Chris and TrailYeti,,,,,,,share your thought on down quilts....I bought the Arc Alpinist for hammocking but the several times I couldnt use the hammock I used the quilt and loved it...will use it again in the Smokies....I mean you've got to carry a pad so why carry the down that gets smushed under you, you know the theory just curious about your opinions on over quilts.

chris
10-15-2003, 09:02
I haven't used a quilt, so I can't really comment with any authority. SGT Rock uses, I believe, a Nunatuk blanket and he might be able to give some first hand advice. I'm not planning on switching to one mainly because I've got two great sleeping bags. I looked into quilts before buying the sleeping bags, and came up with three problems that dissuaded me.

1) I roll around alot when I sleep. I was worried that the bag would roll with me and I would end up sleeping with the bag on the ground and the pad in the air. This may just be an irrational fear, though, as I haven't tried such a set up yet.

2) Weight. The Arc Alpinist weighed almost as much as the Ultralight, and more than the Highlight.

3) Cost. The Arc Alpinist retails for significantly more than the highlight and as much as the Ultralight.

The weight and the cost were just more than I could bear for buying only the top part of a bag. I think the concept is a good one, but maybe hasn't been executed well. For hammock hangers, in particular, the idea is very good, I think. Western Mountaineering is, I believe, coming out with their own version of a quilt sometime this year. I'm keeping my eyes open.

Take a look at http://backpacking.net/gear-reviews/sleeping-bag-review/

This has a nice review of lightweight options for sleeping. Unfortunately, none of the FeatheredFriends bags are in it, nor are the WM Highlight or Megalight.