PDA

View Full Version : Merle Fest 2008

wtmntcaretaker
06-27-2007, 16:00
I am a 22 year old female frome NH and going to do the AT in 2008. I am looking to start my thru-hike in early to mid March. I had been planning to stop off and visit Merle Fest which is generally the third weekend in April. I hike at a moderate speed and was wondering if any one had a clue as to where I might be along the trail at that third weekend in April if I started mid march?
:)

Lone Wolf
06-27-2007, 16:04
I am a 22 year old female frome NH and going to do the AT in 2008. I am looking to start my thru-hike in early to mid March. I had been planning to stop off and visit Merle Fest which is generally the third weekend in April. I hike at a moderate speed and was wondering if any one had a clue as to where I might be along the trail at that third weekend in April if I started mid march?
:)

somewhere around Damascus which is only 1.5 hours from Merlefest

The Weasel
06-27-2007, 16:19
By July you will be a long way past Damascus, but the Doc Watson Music Fest is in Sugar Grove (NC), about an hour's hitch from Damascus, and is far more intimate than Merle Fest. You feel like you're sitting on Doc's lawn with him and his friends, and you actually can talk with the performers (including Doc) while you stand in line for a hot dog. Consider going if you're a fan. Nothing like it.

The Weasel

wtmntcaretaker
06-27-2007, 17:03
thak you very much for the info, I appreciate it greatly. how about first week of june? my friend is getting married and I am curious as to my location then as well. I know this may seem silly but even a ball park estimate makes me feel a little more secure.

MarcnNJ
06-27-2007, 18:40
In 2006, myself and 5 other thruhikers were lucky enough to get a free pass to Merlefest set up my none other than Ms. Janet....The man (goes by the name "B") who heads the volunteer department for Merlefest thruhiked in 2005, along with another Merlefest worker named Larry....Larry was nice enough to pick us up at the US19E crossing and shuttle us back as well.....For the free vip pass, and camping on premises (which is only for vendors and musicians) we had to be secret shoppers. This entailed looking for places where people might jump fences to get in, note where any obsessive partying was going on, try to get backstage (only once were we stopped), ask volunteers if they like their job and how they found out about it, real simple stuff. It was a great time, we ate a lot of expensive funnel cakes. And luckily there was a bar just up the road since there is no alcohol allowed on the premises for the festival. We spent tons of money there, that was the only downfall. Great line-up though that year, including Bob Weir and Rat Dog, Sam Bush, Allison Krause, Bella Fleck & the Flecktones, too many to mention.....

So maybe look-up Merlefest's website and find the link for volunteering....See if you can get in touch with "B"....

As for the first week in June, Id guess you could be anywhere from Troutdale/Daleville area to maybe the northern end of Virginia.......

Tha Wookie
06-27-2007, 21:19
I started on March 11th and made merlefest from damascus. That was 2001. I've been every year since!

warren doyle
06-27-2007, 22:39
I believe MerleFest is the fourth weekend in April.

Another fine 'folk' festival is the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival around the 3rd or fourth weekend in July.

This is less than 20 miles from the trail at Jug End Rd. in MA.

Tha Wookie
06-28-2007, 15:12
I believe MerleFest is the fourth weekend in April.

Another fine 'folk' festival is the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival around the 3rd or fourth weekend in July.

This is less than 20 miles from the trail at Jug End Rd. in MA.

Hey warren.... i didn't see you there this year at MFest.... did you go? I was lokking out for ya in the contra tent!

peace

warren doyle
06-28-2007, 21:26
I went to the Spring Dance Romance weekend near Hanging Rock State Park northeast of Winston-Salem that weekend.

Keep up your good work!

map man
06-28-2007, 23:09
The Merlefest web site says it was held April 26-29 in 2007, but I couldn't find the dates for 2008. Based on this year's dates it appears Warren's recollection that it's usually the fourth weekend in April looks to be right, but it will definitely pay to keep checking the web site. If it is held the fourth weekend next year, then LWolf's estimate that you would be near Damascus then looks like a good one. Of course, that's based on leaving mid-March and hiking like an "average" completing thru-hiker, and there really is no such thing. But if you really are average, that would put you around Harpers Ferry around the first weekend in June, to answer your second question.

If you want to check "typical" hiking progress for yourself, check out the list of articles on the left side of the WB homepage and click on "Hiking Rates by Sections." (Sorry I don't know how to link or I'd include one here.)

Roland
06-29-2007, 03:39
Here is map man's article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=170578#post170578). It is excellent work.

Blister
06-30-2007, 13:01
From your start date, if this is your first through hike, guesstimate a goal of 100 miles per week. It can give you an idea where you will be.
:dance :dance :dance

Uncle Silly
07-02-2007, 23:30
By July you will be a long way past Damascus, but the Doc Watson Music Fest is in Sugar Grove (NC), about an hour's hitch from Damascus, and is far more intimate than Merle Fest. You feel like you're sitting on Doc's lawn with him and his friends, and you actually can talk with the performers (including Doc) while you stand in line for a hot dog.

FYI, that hasn't been the Doc Watson Music Fest in about 4 years; Doc had scheduling conflicts and requested his name be removed. This year they're calling it "MusicFest 'n' Sugar Grove", and Doc will be playing there Saturday evening. This year it's July 13th-14th .. come out if you're around. Saturday morning I'll be playing on the secondary stage with Southern Exposure -- we're providing the side stage with a solar-powered sound system. Stop by and say howdy.

Heater
07-03-2007, 00:17
I sure would like to go to this someday. Kinda like the Eastern version of the Kerrville Folk Fest.

:sun