PDA

View Full Version : Hiking GA in July. Any H2O still there?

rgayer
06-27-2007, 16:18
I'm a semi-expirence hiker and was wondering how bad the water situation was getting in GA. I plan to hike GA and into part of NC for about 10 days. Is there still water out there or just dry creek beds? Any advise on current GA trail conditions would be grand.
:sun

iliketacos
06-27-2007, 16:28
rgayer, when are you planning on hiking? I assume you are doing a part of the AT, yes?

rgayer
06-28-2007, 14:08
Starting July 8th. Doing GA heading N.

John Klein
06-28-2007, 20:51
I'm a semi-expirence hiker and was wondering how bad the water situation was getting in GA. I plan to hike GA and into part of NC for about 10 days. Is there still water out there or just dry creek beds? Any advise on current GA trail conditions would be grand.
:sun
Local Atlanta TV news (Channel 11) is supposed to have a special story tonight on the drought situation in North Georgia. I think they may archive video news stories at 11alive.com

FatMan
06-28-2007, 23:03
I was up at my property today at Grassy Gap (between Gooch Gap and Woody Gap) and the spring fed creek (Grassy Gap Branch) was running well. We are currently building and the site was damp which leads me to believe we have had some rain recently. I didn't walk any of the trail today but those springs that feed the creek have been a pretty good indicator for the first 30-40 miles of the trail.

While running errands I drove into some heavy rainfall just north of Slaughter Mtn on Wolf Pen Gap road this afternoon. The storm looked to be headed towards Blood Mtn. More rain is expected in the next couple of days. Based upon what I saw today I don't think water will be a huge problem on the trail in the next couple of weeks. Just check with other hikers as you go. They are your best source of information.

Mother Nature
06-29-2007, 08:08
I was out doing trail work on my AT section north of Blue Ridge Gap yesterday. Ran into four backpackers having now completed GA and heading into NC. They report water is dire in most places. Some streams are still flowing as recent rains fill them with run-off. The spring at the campsite just north of Blue Ridge Gap on my section has a small muddy puddle and is not currently flowing. WIth care these backpackers retrieved water and reported to me that "that was the best they had seen for awhile."

We are expecting showers on and off all week which should help temporarily but we are is desparate need of a long soaking rain. The showers are hit and miss of late. My property, east of Unicoi Gap, hasn't had a good rain in weeks.

MN

rgayer
06-29-2007, 15:58
Thank you all so much. If conditions change either for better or worse please continue to post. This is invaluable info for me. :-)