PDA

View Full Version : More specific about water in GA right now

Goon
06-27-2007, 16:38
I see there's already a thread about water in GA, but I have a much more specific question and I didn't want to hijack his thread. :)

I'm doing a short AT section hike this weekend with some friends, from Woody to Neels Gap. Anyone know if the springs on that section are all running, especially around Woods Hole shelter?

SunnyWalker
06-27-2007, 16:45
Goon: do you use potable aqua (Iodine tablets) or a water filtration system?

-SunnyWalker

scope
06-27-2007, 16:53
Goon: do you use potable aqua (Iodine tablets) or a water filtration system?

-SunnyWalker

Is that a real question, or are you making a point? Because those aren't the only two options.

I'm interested also as I'm doing that same section in Sept.

soulrebel
06-27-2007, 18:31
That section sucks for water in the first place--jarrard gap is merely a trickle and is usually weak enough to warrant the hike down to lake winfield--which is enough to not wanna come back up lol. don't know about beyond that

i correct myself there are a couple trickles potentially along the way but i'd hike with 2-3 quarts if leaving woody gap.

Dances with Mice
06-27-2007, 19:05
It's about 10 miles and there are two reliable water sources spaced perfectly apart. Three, if you count the spring at Woody. The next is a stream you'll have to step over, I forget the gap. It's exactly where you'd need water if you left Woody with 2 liters. It's about 30 minutes north of the intersection with the trail to Dockery Lake. Resupply at that stream will get you to Slaughter, and a liter from there will get you to Neels.

Anything else you find is golden.

Goon
06-27-2007, 19:24
Thanks for the info guys. It's gonna be a hot weekend.

(And I use a filter.)

Goon
06-27-2007, 19:25
Oh... how's the water at the shelter? (Woods Hole)

Passionphish
06-27-2007, 20:17
I hiked this section exactly not a month ago. And we found almost no water. Everything near the trail had dried up. We found one small stream two miles or so from walasi-yi. And by small, I mean small. If I hadn't brought my pump filter, we would not have been able to get water. The stream was a trickle that fed into a 2 inch by 2 inch puddle. It was bad.

Skidsteer
06-27-2007, 21:06

I really doubt that it's flowing well if at all.

No worries. There is a generally reliable piped water source about three or four tenths of a mile North just shy of the Slaughter Creek campsites.

UnkaJesse
06-29-2007, 11:06
Over Memorial Day weekend, I camped @ Miller Gap. Two streams come together there and both were flowing well. We've had some rain since then, so you should be able to find water there easily. I concur that Jarrard Gap is just about worthless. I would only pump out of that mudhole if I were in dire straits.

The "step over" stream south of Miller was trickling and the stream between Jarrard and Blood Mtn was running well. That might be the one @ the Woods Hole shelter, but I'm not sure. It was just south of the tent sites on the back side of Blood.

Nightwalker
06-30-2007, 09:17

The water is rarely flowing any good at Wood's Hole or Springer. Anywhere that there's a stream is fine, and most of the other springs are as well. That's from one month ago, and we've had good rain since then.