PDA

View Full Version : bus station

wolf
06-27-2007, 20:34
GOING TO NEW YORK BY TRAIN TO PENN STATION HOW FAR IS THE BUS STATION-GOING TO BEAR MTN BRIDGE, CAN I TAKE A TAXIE TO STATION:confused:

Appalachian Tater
06-27-2007, 20:45
Well, you could take a taxi, but the Port Authority terminal is only 8 short blocks uptown from Penn Station, like a ten minute walk maybe.

fiddlehead
06-27-2007, 21:18
Bring a water bottle (full) last time i was there, it was $4 for a litre.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-27-2007, 23:21
You also don't want to use taxis in NYC unless you have wisely budgeted quite a few extra dollars fo that luxury! Just to open the cab door is now $2.50! Mileage is much extra. MTA subways aren't all that bad a way to get around, and the walk isn't very bad as long as you know the correct avenue and cross street of your destination.
Any idea just where in Manhattan you want to go?

Appalachian Tater
06-27-2007, 23:24
It would cost $2 to take the subway, $5 max with tip to take a taxi. For three people a taxi would be cheaper.

A liter of water at $4 is extremely expensive. I have only seen imported mineral water at that price, outside of restaurants. There are water fountains in Penn Station and Port Authority.

oldbear
06-28-2007, 00:42
Walking is going to be the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to do this. The actual distance is 8 blocks @ 20 N/S blocks per mile.
The secret is finding your way out of Penn Staion and then getting oriented
You are looking for the 8th ave exit or 8th ave & 34 th St
If you are looking at the Empire State Building then 8th Ave is behind you.
Nothing to it
BTW if you do opt for cab make sure that you catch it going up 8th Ave. .
Going once around the block will add a buck or two to your fare depending upon how much traffic you get stuck in.