PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin Trail Closures

TJ aka Teej
10-09-2003, 13:03
Good reasons to time your GA>ME AT hike to get to Baxter State Park and Katahdin prior to October 1st:
10/3 IV
10/4 III
10/5 III
10/6 III
10/7 IV
10/8 IV
10/9 III
Class II = open, not recommended above treeline.
Class III = some trails closed at trailhead.
Class IV = all trails closed at trailhead.
Note that Baxter Park closes trails at *trailhead*, not treeline.
The Park Director was inside Baxter on the 6th, reportedly considering closing the mountain for the season. On the 7th and 8th, several ATers climbed Katahdin in violation of Park safety rules, apparently without concern for what thier actions might have on future hikers.
Overnight camping, including for thruhikers, ends Oct. 15th every year. Flipfloppers should also note that the free Kennebec canoe ferry service ends in mid-October.

Peaks
10-09-2003, 15:20
Is winter coming early to the North country?

icemanat95
10-10-2003, 10:09
Killington has started making snow as conditions allow. I expect to be skiing by the end of the month.

It has been on the cold side for the time of year.

Miss Janet
10-10-2003, 11:36
I have been in Baxter since 10-7 and it was BEAUTIFUL!! So don't let the weatherman tell you what to expect. This mountain makes it's own weather! Over 40 hikers made the climb yesterday led by Baltimore Jack and his trusty side kick, Jester and his trusty side kick, Ugly Bunny. His "retirement summit" was an awesome day with lots of excitement, daring rescues and lots of friends. After 2 days of questionable Class IV Days everyone was excited.