PDA

View Full Version : Any Boonies here

Chaco Taco
06-28-2007, 17:51
I figured Id ask because it sort of relates to hiking. Im looking at moving to Boone in a few months. It will be nice to be close to the trail and other great hikes. Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for places to rent?

jb2638
06-28-2007, 20:24
whats you coming to boone for.
and check out www.wataugademocrat.com (http://www.wataugademocrat.com)

Chaco Taco
06-28-2007, 21:42
I went to school in Banner Elk in 95 and loved it. I want to move closer to the mountains and want to finish school. Im tired of Chapel Hill and am ready to head for higher ground.

Uncle Silly
06-28-2007, 21:57
c'mon up, the weather's fine! no good suggestions on places to rent; try the Mountain Times (mountaintimes.com) or High Country Press for classifieds.

warren doyle
06-28-2007, 22:29
I live on-campus at Lees-McRae College. We have guest beds if you need a base camp while looking for housing in the area.

Elk Park, NC and Roan Mountain, TN would have more economical rents than Boone/Banner Elk.

Was atop Roan today. Even in the fog and rain it was stunning! I feel very fortunate to live in this area.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." Muir

Tipi Walter
06-28-2007, 22:56
I moved to Boone in 1973 and left in 2001 so I spent 28 years camping and backpacking pretty much in every corner of Watauga County. The city fathers and Know-Nots want to see Boone become another Gatlinburg, heck it's pretty much already there, so don't be too disappointed by the crowds, the terrible traffic and the high rents. It's a college town with good youthful energy and there's even a few backpackers scattered here and there, and up by Watauga Lake there's the AT and north in Virginia there's Mt Rogers and Grayson Highlands, etc. My regular stomping grounds was along Upper Creek in Pisgah near Table Rock.

There's alot of national forest nearby so with a good pack and bag you just might never have to pay rent again. Something to consider.

ASUGrad
06-29-2007, 09:28
ASU grad obviously. That's really nice country but overgrown now. Boone is a traffic nightmare. But the area west of Boone looks pretty much the same.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2007, 10:24
I figured Id ask because it sort of relates to hiking. Im looking at moving to Boone in a few months. It will be nice to be close to the trail and other great hikes. Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for places to rent?

the heck with boone. too many hippie-wannabes and floridians. come to damascus where real folks is

RiverWarriorPJ
06-29-2007, 11:23
the heck with boone. too many hippie-wannabes and floridians. come to damascus where real folks is
x
Hook me up w/a room/small apt & a min wage job & i'll be there in Aug. LW..:D

Wonder
06-29-2007, 11:39

Watch out!! The hippies are movinginto Damascus!!!
One thing that I love about living here, is that I'm only an hour from Boone. It's a fantastic town, and I hope to move there in a few years!

Chaco Taco
06-29-2007, 16:33

I am considering it LW. If the job market was a little better I would. However, I do know there is a going to be some vacancies in the local PD. Sorry, couldnt resist.:cool:

Chaco Taco
06-29-2007, 16:34
I live on-campus at Lees-McRae College. We have guest beds if you need a base camp while looking for housing in the area.

Elk Park, NC and Roan Mountain, TN would have more economical rents than Boone/Banner Elk.

Was atop Roan today. Even in the fog and rain it was stunning! I feel very fortunate to live in this area.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." Muir

I was a student at LMC. I miss it. Is Archie Miller (?) still there? He was my Western Civ teacher. What an awesome guy!

Chaco Taco
06-29-2007, 16:37
ASU grad obviously. That's really nice country but overgrown now. Boone is a traffic nightmare. But the area west of Boone looks pretty much the same.

Good thing I dont drive (by choice).
Yea, I remember it being hell in traffic. I like the town because it is alot like where I am now, but its obviously in the mountains. I want to finish school at App, so I am thinking about the jump. I remember Otto saying he had live dthere til his thru.

Uncle Silly
07-02-2007, 23:18
Otto was in school at App. apparently he left to hike after graduating.

warren's right, Elk Park & Roan Mtn are cheaper rents, but if your job or school is in Boone the commute would suck.. esp if you don't have a vehicle. Ashe Cty is also better rent-wise, but again, the commute sucks.

BucketHeadnBryn
07-02-2007, 23:43
I seem to remember a housing or rental company whatchamacallit specifically for grad students featuring some of the nicer rental properties downtown. It's been 4 years since I lived there so I can't be much help, but it's worth checking into.

Tennessee Viking
07-02-2007, 23:46
Boone is a college town. So there are a number of places to rent. Also look towards Blowing Rock & Valle Cruicis, or anything on US421/321. Grandfather/Banner Elk/Linville can get very expensive because of they are tourist traps. The only draw back to Boone is its a small college town, but growing. And when its summer time, the town is kind of quiet.

If you are not stuck with a job in Boone. Might I suggest the TriCities, Kingsport, Bristol, & Johnson City and surrounding areas. The TriCities, especially, Johnson City and Elizabethton, are in easy driving distances with several sections of the A.T., and Cherokee/Pisgah forest areas Johnson City is also a college town but also a major business area.

I live in Johnson City, and I can drive to Damascus/Roan/Watauga Lake/Unaka/Bald Mtn in less than an hour.

And if you end up in Boone, stock up on supplies at Mast General Store Outfitters.