PDA

View Full Version : another bear attack

smokymtnsteve
10-09-2003, 15:22
Black bear attacks sleeping camper in remote area in eastern Utah

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - A black bear tried to drag a teenager out of his sleeping bag as he and other campers slept under the stars in a remote canyon - the first bear attack in Utah in 11 years, officials said.

Nick Greez, 18, was treated for puncture wounds and lacerations at a hospital in Price and released, officials said. The animal grabbed him by the head and neck, but the other campers chased the bear away after hearing Greez's screams.

Wildlife officers tried to find the bear to kill it, but the animal apparently had left the area, said Bill Bates, southeastern region wildlife manager for the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.

Greez was part of a group of 15 campers and five instructors from the Utah Outdoor Leadership School who were sleeping in the open early Monday in the canyon about 120 miles southeast of Salt Lake City.

"Bear attacks like this are extremely rare, but they do occur," said Craig McLaughlin, mammals coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources.

The group was on an 80-mile, four- to five-day float trip on the Green River.

Bruce Palmer, executive director of the National Outdoor Leadership School headquarters in Wyoming, said it was the first time he had heard of a bear attacking one of the school's groups. The school, founded in 1965, specializes in whitewater rafting trips in areas including Alaska, the Pacific Northwest, Chile and New Zealand.

"We do operate in remote areas. There's a whole variety of risks," Palmer said.

Greez was on his way home to Oregon on Wednesday.

Copyright © 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Copyright © The Billings Gazette, a division of Lee Enterprises.

Ankle Bone
10-09-2003, 16:01
Gotta be one of two things:

The bear belonged to Las Vegas Roy, and he was just trying to "help" the kid.

The bear had not read Steve's previous black bear post and does not realize he's a vegetarian.

squirrel bait
10-09-2003, 16:27
I will not stash candy bars, beef jerky, etc. in my sleeping bag.
I will not stash candy bars, beef jerky, etc. in my sleeping bag.

Lone Wolf
10-09-2003, 16:30
Never fear. Keep a Glock near.

smokymtnsteve
10-09-2003, 17:47
this bear did not eat the tennager...

and luckily the bear escaped!

I will not stash candy bars, beef jerky, etc. in my sleeping bag

you probably got that right ..squirrel bait

Ankle Bone
10-10-2003, 08:13
Actually, I think black bears are omnivores. You got your carni's who eat just meat (Dr. Atkins bears) your herbi's that eat no meat (PETA bears), and your omni's. Omni's will eat meat, veg, whatever is available.

You're right that black bears are shy and much more likely to eat veggie's and nuts, but they will eat meat. To label them as vegetarians is incorrect.

smokymtnsteve
10-10-2003, 09:02
when the do eat meat ..it is grubs and such ...they will also carrion but usaually onlyafter it gets 'ripe" ....they do not hunt and kill for food....they are basically veggietarin...I'm basically a veggietarin..cept I eat fish...

Ankle Bone
10-10-2003, 11:37
I think you're confusing a couple of things: Diet vs behavior.

Black bears are not herbivores, or vegetarian if you want to use that word. They are omnivores, which means they will and do eat meat. If they were veggie's as you suggest, they would have no interest in meat, be it fresh, decayed, marinated, or kicked up a notch.

You are right that they are not normally preditors, ala grizzlies, wolves, etc., so they don't stalk us for food unless the scent of those snicker bars lure them in. If we happen to be dead and ripe, then they'll probably show more interest. But to suggest that they won't eat meat and label them as veggies is incorrect.