PDA

View Full Version : Filter question

Nest
06-28-2007, 19:59
Just got a Katadyn Hiker Pro, and had a question about using it with a bladder. I have it set up so that I can fill it without taking it out of the pack, but see a couple of problems.

First, the bladder is designed to be best used with the hose on the bottom of the bladder. This is obviously better, but what about air in te bladder. As I pump, I will pump a lot of air into the bladder. If the hose was on top I could just unhook the pump and release the air. Then continue filling. Does anyone else have a better option?

The other issue is how do I know when it is full? I don't want to tear the bladder, but I also don't want to have half of what I think I have. I can't use the "48 pumps per minute is 1 quart" method because of air and inconsistent pumps.

Before anyone says it, I have tried Aqua Mira. It tastes horrible, and I dreaded drinking water on my last hike when I used it. I don't want to wait 4 hours for the tablets, so filter it is.

oldfivetango
06-28-2007, 20:09
I quit using my bladder-couldn't keep it clean.Pump into a bottle-works
everytime like a charm.Bladders way overrated in my humble opinion.
Oldfivetango

Tipi Walter
06-28-2007, 23:08
Yeah, I'd say ditch the bladder and stick with bottles. I'm on my second or third Hiker filter and like it enough to keep going back, though I've broken two pump handles(cheap-arse design)and replaced a half-dozen cartridges. Of course in the winter it does freeze solid but is warmed easily. With a new cartridge a 50 count pumpstroke is pretty danged reliable, it'll fill a liter bottle pretty much every time.

greentick
06-28-2007, 23:23
I have that filter and have used it with a camelback bladder. I don't recall seeing air bubbles go through it tho. Do you have a loose connection somewhere? When I stopped to fill the bladder, I would drink all the water that was left so I would start filtering an empty bladder (therefore knowing how much to put in). The 48 pumps per liter is repeatable, but I would do maybe 45 per liter to leave some wiggle room.

I did not follow katadyn's instructions for the quick release connectors on the drinking tube. When filling the bladder, I just pull off the bite valve and put one of the male connectors in the (bladder) hose, hook to the filter-outflow and pump away. I figured that if the tubing started getting loose I could just cut off 1/4" and be back in business (it hasn't yet). Putting in the quick disconnect just seemed like it was an extra unnecessary part you could lose or break.

That all being said, I have stopped using the bladder because I found myself drinking too much water just because it was there;) . I have switched to platy collapsible bottles. Easier to be water disciplined for me.

chuckbuster
06-29-2007, 01:06
I used the Katadyn Pocket Filter with hydration bladders on my thru-hike last year. Started out with the Camelbak Un-Bottle but later switched out to the Platy collapsibles to save on weight. I also used the quick disconnects with my system and had no issues. I had intended to fill the bladder while it was in my pack but found that it didn't work too well due to compression while it was in the pack. Ended up carrying the bladder horizontal on top of pack under top cover which turned out to be a much more accessible way to utilize the bladder. This allowed me to drop pack and grab bladder and filter and head to H2O source without dragging the pack all over. I also used a collapsible water bucket that allowed me to fill at source with whatever means was required and then move to a more convenient and comfortable location to do the filtering task. I only got a little air in the bladder at times which was easily displaced by loosening the cap a turn or two and squeezing out the air bubble. I used this system during my entire thru-hike and only had to replace one platy when the corner seams started leaking. The only other maintenance required was cleaning and lubing the O-rings on the disconnects a couple of times. The other advantage with this closed system was that my bladders stayed relatively funk free and only took on a slight discoloration from tannins from some H2O sources along the way.

Krewzer
06-29-2007, 10:00
I used the Katadyn Pocket Filter with hydration bladders on my thru-hike last year. Started out with the Camelbak Un-Bottle but later switched out to the Platy collapsibles to save on weight. I also used the quick disconnects with my system and had no issues. I had intended to fill the bladder while it was in my pack but found that it didn't work too well due to compression while it was in the pack. Ended up carrying the bladder horizontal on top of pack under top cover which turned out to be a much more accessible way to utilize the bladder. This allowed me to drop pack and grab bladder and filter and head to H2O source without dragging the pack all over. I also used a collapsible water bucket that allowed me to fill at source with whatever means was required and then move to a more convenient and comfortable location to do the filtering task. I only got a little air in the bladder at times which was easily displaced by loosening the cap a turn or two and squeezing out the air bubble. I used this system during my entire thru-hike and only had to replace one platy when the corner seams started leaking. The only other maintenance required was cleaning and lubing the O-rings on the disconnects a couple of times. The other advantage with this closed system was that my bladders stayed relatively funk free and only took on a slight discoloration from tannins from some H2O sources along the way.

What he said... Platy and filter on top for quick and easy access. One or two "1" liter platy's (depending on expected water sources) and a "2" liter platy water "tank" work really well for me. (http://www.rei.com/product/646540)

In the evening I fill or top off the water bottles (and me) and fill the tank to carry back to camp. This serves as cooking/cleaning water for dinner and breakfast the next morning.

Krewzer
06-29-2007, 10:03
I should add that I usually only carry one full platy, but always carry an extra, in case I need the extra water or spring a leak in one.

Miner
06-29-2007, 16:43
When I used my GG Vapor Trail back, I never had any trouble filling a 3L Camelbak while it remained in my pack when using a filter adaptor on the tube. You shouldn't see air being pumped into the bag. I also never had trouble keeping my Camelbak clean since I don't put drink mixes in it. I keep a seperate empty Gatoraid bottle for those as I mostly drink plain water during the day with an occasional mix drink at breaks.

I never had trouble with the contents of my pack keeping the Camelbak from expanding when filling it. But I never over filled the pack since it is too large for all my gear and I always put the pack on the ground in order to get the water filter out of the side pocket anyway.

But since I bought a ULA Conduit last month which is a smaller pack, I suspect that I will have issues with being able to fill it while it is stuffed full and will have to move it to one of the outside pockets.

Nest
06-29-2007, 20:27
I get air in the platypus when I have to pump from a falling flow of water. If there isn't an available pool to drop my pre-filter in I just put it into the flow of water. A lot of air gets pumped with the water that way. Putting the bladder on the top of my pack would slove that problem pretty well. I have a Numbus Ozone, and the two top straps would hold it in place real well. That would make it available to release any air. Also would making filling easier if I my pack is full (didn't think about that being a problem.)

I tried hiking without a bladder, and didn't like it. With my pack I have to take it off to reach the side pockets. So, it seems like putting the bladder on the top of my pack would solve all of my problems. Don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

greentick
06-30-2007, 22:17
I get air in the platypus when I have to pump from a falling flow of water. If there isn't an available pool to drop my pre-filter in I just put it into the flow of water...

If you use a cook pot put it under the flow and put the filter inlet hose in the pot. Works well where the flow is slower from a pipe too.

Nest
06-30-2007, 22:48
If you use a cook pot put it under the flow and put the filter inlet hose in the pot. Works well where the flow is slower from a pipe too.

I thought about doing that when in camp, but figured it would be a little bit of a pain for refilling during the day. I got to looking around the house though and found these folding plastic bowls that I got for my dog when I take him camping. They weigh less than an ounce, and would work perfect for the water filter since one could fold up and fit anywhere. That way I don't have to dig into my pack to get out my cooking pot.