PDA

View Full Version : Hiking poles and benefits to be gained from UL poles?

Dirtygaiters
06-29-2007, 13:29
Hello all,
In converting my heavy old school gear into ultralight gear this past summer, I've come to this conclusion about trekking poles: it seems like hiking poles might be the one piece of gear that I'm not too concerned about going ultralight, for distance hiking, mountaineering, or otherwise because this is the one piece of gear that actually helps me go farther. My poles are 9 oz each, over a pound for both of them. That seems pretty light in my hands, where they uually stay, but on my back another pound is no different from any other pound. When I look at some of the carbon fiber poles available, gearhead that I am (that is, gearhead that I've become as late), I get to wondering...

Does anybody think these ultralight 3 or 4 ounce poles are that much better from a more standard-weight trekking pole? Is this a topic that most people don't care that much about because poles, 3 oz each or 12 oz each, actually help you walk farther?

Ender
06-29-2007, 13:53
It depends on how you use them, I'd say. If you're using them primarily for balance, then 2 ounce poles are just as good, probably much better than 12 ounce poles. If you put a lot of your body weight onto them during decents and whatnot, then the 12 ounce poles would likely be much better.

I rest a lot of my weight, some times all of my weight, on my poles, so I use the heavier poles. I only do this when going down hills or crossing stream (or vaulting streams), so it's extra weight on the up hills and flats, but it's worth it for me.

Quoddy
06-29-2007, 14:13
I have been using Leki Super Makalu poles (21.7oz) for several years, but after trying out lightweight CF poles I decided to get a set of Titanium Goat adjustable carbon Fiber poles. At 6.4oz PER PAIR it's like night and day. Very positive locking system and strong... once the idea of something this light being strong sinks in. Needed the adjustable type since I use hiking poles for my Contrail. The only thing I miss is the positive angled grip since several years of using it has conditioned my thinking a little. If I wanted to more than double the weight (and pay $50 more), I could have gone with Leki CF poles and had the positive angle too.

The reason: To lower the weight and effort needed to gain the benefit of using poles. I think it does.

Ender
06-29-2007, 14:39
...I decided to get a set of Titanium Goat adjustable carbon Fiber poles. At 6.4oz PER PAIR ...

Quoddy,

I was intrigued by these... do you think they could hold up 200+lbs of hiker and gear? And I mean resting on them with both of my feet off the ground, all my weight on the poles. If so, I would really consider buying them...

Quoddy
06-29-2007, 14:53
I believe that they're strong and I'm heading out on a through hike of the Long Trail in four weeks, so they will definitely be tested. I think that as long as they don't get wedged in a rock and then forced in a bad direction, they should be fine. I weigh 192 and can't think of a time in the last five years that I've put my absolute full weight on a pole. BTW, although they aren't warrantied, TiGoat will work with you on any breakage (if it happens).

chief
06-29-2007, 15:19
In 2000, I made it as far as Neels Gap without poles. An icy flat boulder atop Blood Mtn convinced me I needed poles. I bought a set of Super Makalu. My point is, since day one, I never felt the poles were too heavy, nor ever felt my arms or shoulders were fatigued by the poles. Heck, with my huge pack, I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway. Having said the above, I'm all for lighter poles, if they are very stiff and able to hold my weight if I keel over fording a stream or something (my balance sucks). Quoddy, please tell us your experiences with the poles on the Long Trail.

chief

Ender
06-29-2007, 16:10
Quoddy,

yeah, let us know how they work out for you. I'm constantly putting my full weight on my poles, so I need something strong enough for that, but if these can handle it they're certainly worth considering. And have a great hike on the Long Trail!