06-29-2007, 14:12
granite gear question??
nimbus zone vs. latitude vapor:-?
any comments orr suggestions
thanks in advance
jch

Footslogger
06-29-2007, 14:38
Don't have direct experience with the Latitute Vapor but ...I own the Vaport Trail (used it on my thru in 2003) and recently picked up the Nimbus Ozone for my upcoming PCT thru.

Truly like the Vapor Trail and it's bigger brother, the Nimbus Ozone, carries weight even more comfortably. Reason I personally went for the Nimbus Ozone was the solid frame sheet. I anticipate carrying loads closer to 30lbs on the PCT, whereas my AT packweight was at 24 - 26lbs.

'Slogger

Quoddy
06-29-2007, 14:38
The Latitude Vapor has the same frame as the Vapor Trail which is not quite in the same league as the Ozone's frame. At very close weights, size, and cost it comes down to whether you want the better frame and carrying of the Ozone, or the benefits of a panel loader with the Vapor Latitude.
The Ozone is presently my winter pack.

Kerosene
06-29-2007, 15:28
You could go with the Nimbus Latitude (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_latitude/index.html) to keep the more substantial frame of the Ozone while adding panel loading. You pay about a 6 ounce penalty when compared to the Nimbus Ozone + Lid (and I'd really suggest a small top pocket regardless of which one you go with).

Personally, I'm not convinced that the weight penalty is worth the convenience of loading, but I'm down to trying to cut every ounce I can.