PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering about Flip-Flops, Thongs, or sandals

Jones134679
07-01-2007, 11:50
I was wondering about Flip-Flops, Thongs, or sandals whichever one you call them,...

Is it possible to do a through hike using Sandals??

Has anyone ever hiked the whole AT in this style shoe??

Lone Wolf
07-01-2007, 11:54
I was wondering about Flip-Flops, Thongs, or sandals whichever one you call them,...

Is it possible to do a through hike using Sandals??

Has anyone ever hiked the whole AT in this style shoe??

yup. i've known lots of people who have hiked in Chacos/Tevas

rickb
07-01-2007, 13:11
The whole AT?

Kerosene
07-01-2007, 13:19
If people can thru-hike barefoot, then they can certainly do it in sandals of some sort!

CoyoteWhips
07-01-2007, 16:02
Of course, after a thousand miles of "flip, flip, flip, flip...." any companions would likely go insane.

Flip-Flop Madness.

That must be why they don't recommend corduroy pants for hiking.

Peaks
07-01-2007, 18:06
Definately possible, and I'm sure it's been done. But, you might want more protection for your feet, and more support.

Marta
07-01-2007, 18:19
When I ran into Freebird in VT last year, he was wearing sandals. He has done a LOT of hiking (more than one thru-hike) and I've heard other people say that he always wears sandals.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Johnny Swank
07-01-2007, 19:18
I thru-hiked SOBO in Chacos.

gold bond
07-01-2007, 19:30
I have seen alot of people hiking in the closed toe Keens with socks.

saimyoji
07-01-2007, 19:36
I hike the oh so scary PA mountains in Tevas all the time. Leave your boots at home, they'll only give you blisters. Feel free to wear a thong tho....pants are optional...unless you're fat...then just stay home.

fiddlehead
07-01-2007, 22:32
reminds me of when i first moved to Thailand and was in great shape having just done a thru hike and then an ultra races in CO. Anyway, i was climbing a very steep mtn here for some exercise and these two guys (Thai's) were keeping up with me no problem. On the downhill (where i normally shine as i run them all) these guys passed me like i was standing still. They were wearing the cheapest, heavy rubber looking flip flops. I couldn't believe it as i can't walk backwards in those things or go downhills too fast. They must have had some amazing strength in their toes just to keep them on.
I remember a guy who hiked the PCT in one pair of sandals but they were pretty well duct taped over a few times by WA.

Jim Adams
07-02-2007, 00:22
just returned from a failed PCT thru hike (ran out of money @ 1000 miles!) and the big fashion in L.A. is 6" platform flip flops---should be great for those creek crossings.
geek

Gaiter
07-02-2007, 00:33
meet a guy last year (hiked the trail over two summers) who hiked in crocs and a thru-hiker at trail days said he is hiking in crocs

Marta
07-02-2007, 07:02
reminds me of when i first moved to Thailand and was in great shape having just done a thru hike and then an ultra races in CO. Anyway, i was climbing a very steep mtn here for some exercise and these two guys (Thai's) were keeping up with me no problem. On the downhill (where i normally shine as i run them all) these guys passed me like i was standing still. They were wearing the cheapest, heavy rubber looking flip flops. I couldn't believe it as i can't walk backwards in those things or go downhills too fast. They must have had some amazing strength in their toes just to keep them on.

When I was in Thailand I was amazed to see the guys working on boats in flipflops, jumping on and off the boats to tie up at the docks and whatnot. Not OSHA approved. Barefoot would be easier, I think.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Wanderingson
07-02-2007, 11:22
I tried a thong once, but didn't like having to keep pulling it out of the crack of my butt.

humunuku
07-02-2007, 12:21
not sure if they qualify, but I do all my hiking in Merrel Chameleon Web sandle/shoe thingys-havent hikes the whole AT yet though, but I'll wear them when i do