PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Sleeping Bag

nightcrawler
07-02-2007, 10:12
I have read about people switching out bags during their hike when the weather changes. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a single bag to be used for the whole hike. In particular a SOBO starting at the beginning of July.

nightcrawler
07-02-2007, 10:16
I meant temperature rating for the bag, but specific bag recommendations are certainly welcome too!

Johnny Swank
07-02-2007, 12:36
You're still likely to get plenty of nights in the lower 40's on a SOBO hike before fall really kicks in. I'd take a 30 degree bag until mid Virginia, then switch to a 15-20 degree bag for the rest of the hike if I were to do it again. I'd also plan on NOT using a 20 degree bag in the dead of winter when it was getting consistanly in the 0-10 degree range! I don't think I slept for a month.

Frosty
07-02-2007, 13:27
I have read about people switching out bags during their hike when the weather changes. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a single bag to be used for the whole hike. In particular a SOBO starting at the beginning of July.30* down bag. You can use a liner in it in Maine and White Mtns in hte summer, and the Smokies in the fall, and just lay it over us as a quilt Mass thru Va. Sometimes in ME-NH-VT you will be chilly, you will definately be hot in PA-VA, and will be chilly again at times in the Smokies, but a 30* bag with a liner should do the trick.

The question is why? Why not simply use a 20* bag to start, mail it home when it is too warm, use a 45* bag until the Smokies, and then use the 20* bag for the rest of the the trip?

$60 bucks for a 45* bag isn't so much to save to be worth carrying a heavier too-hot bag for 1000 miles in the middle of the hike, and the samings will be gone if you take a single zero to avoid weather too cold for the 30* to handle.

Frosty
07-02-2007, 13:29
30* down bag.

You can use a liner in it in Maine and White Mtns in hte summer, and the Smokies in the fall, and just lay it over to use as a quilt Mass thru Va. Sometimes in ME-NH-VT you will be chilly, you will definately be hot in PA-VA, and will be chilly again at times in the Smokies, but a 30* bag with a liner should do the trick.

The question is why? Why not simply use a 20* bag to start, mail it home when it is too warm, use a 45* bag until the Smokies, and then use the 20* bag for the rest of the the trip?

$60 bucks for a 45* bag isn't so much to save to be worth carrying a heavier too-hot bag for 1000 miles in the middle of the hike, and the savings will be gone if you take a single zero to avoid weather too cold for the 30* to handle.

D-wreck
06-13-2008, 00:06
I am also looking for a sleeping bag for my upcoming SOBO (leaving July 1). Right now I have a marmot helium and a North Face Allegheny.

The Helium is great, but way too warm unless it's cold out (15 degree rating). The half zip really limits it's flexibility, hard to use as a blanket.

The Allegheny is nice, but it's a pretty heavy (2.5 lbs) and not all that warm.

Should I start with the helium and switch to a summer bag when I get out of the whites? I have a feeling this might be too warm. I could use the Allegheny, suffer the weight, and use my base layer if it gets too cold out.

Another option is to get a better summer bag. I've been looking at:

Marmot pounder (sounds a little cold, but I could add a liner and still be under 2 lbs)
Big Agnes Horse Thief 35 degree
Eureka Silver City 30 degree ($60, 2 lbs, full zip, warmish?: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45322)

Any thoughts?

I have a Big Agnes insulated air core pad. I might consider ditching it for something lighter once I get my trail legs, but so far it's given me the best sleep I ever had outdoors.

Thanks!

warraghiyagey
06-13-2008, 02:22
I use a zero degree Quest rectangular. Lot's of leg room, I'll NEVER be cold, extra padding to sleep on - on warm nights and only a pound and a half more than the fancy pantser bags. It's worth the weight considering six to eight hours a day of use.:)

hammock engineer
06-13-2008, 08:37
Your'll see some nights into the 40's starting out. The Whites can be freezing all the time. Last year I sent home too much cold weather gear and was freezing at night a few times in VT. The weather seems to change a lot from very hot to cold on the southbound hike. I had a few hot nights, but looking back nothing to send my fall gear home.

Start with what you would use in the fall. Keep it until it is time to get your winter gear. Some people last year kept 45 degree bags until VA. They had some super cold nights. Just depends on where you want to sleep and how many clothes you have.

Red Hat
06-13-2008, 08:51
I'm taking my 20 degree WM bag. May use my summer Deuter as a liner for it when it gets really cold this winter...

bigcranky
06-13-2008, 11:13
I dunno about a single bag. It'll be cool at night to start a SOBO, but you'll get into some good cold weather in the South starting in November. I'd start with my 30F down bag, and switch to my 5F bag in mid-November or so.

Dakota_
06-14-2008, 14:37
Good sleeping bag question and responses. I'm thinking about going with a MontBell 15* bag (2lbs, 7oz). It has a full zipper which is nice for warmer temps. Being a southerner, it is still hard for me to imagine 30* and colder weather in July/Aug?! One hiker mentioned he was still comfortable in his 15* bag in N. Virginia in Aug and it was after that he moved to a summer bag. During the hot months, I may just by a cheap bag somewhere. Maybe I will run into a hiker looking to sale his bag for bus $.

What do you think? Is a 15* too warm?

mindi
01-04-2009, 10:38
I'm debating this issue as well. Right now I have a 40 degree down bag, but I'd really rather just get a warmer bag and carry it for the whole hike if necessary, and sleep in the silk liner when it gets warm.

boarstone
01-05-2009, 10:38
Here is my "twocents" worth:
I too have been wanting a new bag for hiking and like all of us, have searched extensively for what I MAY want. I find 1st, one needs to decide on a synthetic vs. down. ( 15deg. ) Here are my synthetic results on my search, be advised it's from only one internet site, but the stats will be the same, maybe not the price from other sites:

From Campmor:
$140 Big Agnes 15* fill wt.-24oz. Total wt. 3lb.5 oz.
$40 Eurika " " " 36oz. " " 4lb.
$70 Marmot " " " 35oz. " " 3lb.8oz
$170 Mt. Hadwar" " " 34oz. " " 2lb.14oz

Women Specific:
$140 Big Agnes 15* fill wt. 25oz. Total wt. 3lb.3oz
$70 Marmot " " " 28oz. " " 3lb.5oz
$170 Mt. Hardwar. " " " 35oz. " " 3lb.

And just for colder weather:
$45 Slumberjack Latitude 0* fill wt. 45oz. Total wt. 4.0lb

I got to looking at the FILL WEIGHTS of these vs. wt. I was willing to carry vs. being warm. You may have a light bag, but look at the fill weight of that bag. 1lb of fill vs. 2 or more for the same advertised degree it is rated at would get my attention. As it did, hence my experience with this comparison table. May this help.

Tinker
01-05-2009, 12:53
Fill weights must be taken into consideration by looking at:
1) What is the cubic inch down loft measurement (ex: an ounce of 650 fill down doesn't fill up as much space as an ounce of 800 fill down, so more down weight is required to provide the same loft, which is where the warmth comes from).
2) The size of the sleeping bag itself (ex: wider bags have more fabric to fill, thus requiring more down, regardless of the fill #).

garlic08
01-05-2009, 23:56
If I were limited to one bag for the whole trail, I'd use the Campmor 20 down bag. It does not have side baffles, so you can shift down from top to bottom and vice versa for different conditions, it has a full zip, and it's reasonably priced. I used this bag for the entire PCT and it worked down to its rating and was OK in summer heat (but not as humid as the AT).

wcgornto
01-11-2009, 22:45
I am going SOBO starting June 15. I plan to take a Marmot Hydrogen 30 degree bag with liner. Depending on my pace and fall weather in the south, I can switch out to a 15 degree Marmot Pinnacle.

Chiaroscuro
01-17-2009, 13:39
Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on the LaFuma bags?

bionicJ
05-30-2011, 18:34
I have the lafuma warm n light 35. the lowest i have taken it was 40ish in a THICK bivy wearing synth tights. I was cold but not miserable. the bag is cut far too big is its major shortcoming imo.

Its a toss up for with that or my pinnacle.
I am heavily leaning to the lafuma with a space blanket because now I have a tarp tent.

pinnacle it a dead of winter bag to me, too heavy and always warm.
if you go pinnacle there is no real need for a pad imo, just flip it upside down if its warm enough so you can save a lot of weight there.

Mismatch
05-30-2011, 23:21
I am going to attempt to use my synthetic North Face Cat's Meow 20* bag for my SOBO thru this year. If needed I will use a liner come colder weather. I enjoy it anywhere from 30* to over 60* in my hammock and could probably push it farther laying on a shelter floor.

RyanK817
05-31-2011, 01:34
I've had the same question, and I'm also going with a 30* bag I think, the Marmot Never Winter. I figure I can either pick up a 10-15* bag on the way, or Sea to Summit makes some very nice liners that can add a ton of warmth.

wcgornto
05-31-2011, 02:27
I used my 30 degree bag until Daleville, VA. then I swapped to a 15 degree bag. It was none too soon as there was a very cold, rainy week at that time in mid October, with a bit of snow as well. If I had waited until Pearisburg to swap out my bag, I would have been pretty cold for a few days.

I did hike with a couple of other SOBOs who used 20 degree Cat's Meows the whole way. A 20 degree bag is a nice compromise for those using a single bag for a SOBO hike.

Barbarella
01-27-2012, 21:25
I'm going SOBO late July to Aug 1rst. I have a 20 year old Sierra Designs bag that was originally rated -20. Obviously that is no longer the case. I have been hiking with it lately this winter and it keeps me warm into the 20's. I sleep in a hammock with a closed cell foam pad and tarp. If it gets really cold, I pitch the tarp low. My question is, will this bag suffice for the entire hike since i'm starting in Maine later in the summer? I am doing this thing on a tight budget and am trying to avoid buying a bag. I like my bag. I can always sleep on top if its warm or not use it at all, right?

Papa D
01-27-2012, 21:49
Hiking the trail SOBO, you are automatically inducted into a proud little clan - welcome - you will make life-long friends SOBO - nothing against NOBOS but there are more of them ...... you might like a 20 deg bag in NH depending on the weather but you will be hitting that state at the optimal time so your regular, generic 32-40 degree bag might be just fine - especially if you have a nalgene bottle to make a hot-water bottle with .... The place where you will get cold is NC/TN - DO NOT underestimate the fall / winters down-south - there will be snow in October in the Smokies almost always. I would transition to a down bag in Erwin,TN - Uncle Johnnies Hostel will hold it for you. I recommend a Western Mountaineering Versalite 5 Degree bag - if you are running late, you might want to get it as soon as Damascus VA - Mt. Rogers Outfitters or the Hiker's Inn, or the PO there would be good drop locations. Best of luck on your SOBO!!

Tinker
01-27-2012, 23:23
Forget a 30 degree bag in 30 degree temps. when you are half-starved, wet, and dehydrated. I have personal stories, but to save you the boredom, here's the gist: I've been cold in a bag rated to -70 at 30 degrees - really! (and I had used it in -20 weather in an open shelter, comfortably, when well fed, rested, and dry). I was tired, dehydrated, hungry, and damp from sweat. I shivered in that bag for about an hour before I finally got warm enough to melt some snow and make dinner.
Get a good bag rated at least 10 degrees colder than you think you're likely to experience and wear warm clothes in it or use a vapor barrier liner (the only kind of liner worth buying for very cold temperatures).
Liners are single use items and make it difficult to get into and out of the bag. I've used them, and have reverted to wearing long underwear, socks, and a hat. That way when I get out to pee in the middle of the night I won't be freezing when I exit the bag.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2012, 00:05
I'm going SOBO late July to Aug 1rst. I have a 20 year old Sierra Designs bag that was originally rated -20. Obviously that is no longer the case. I have been hiking with it lately this winter and it keeps me warm into the 20's. I sleep in a hammock with a closed cell foam pad and tarp. If it gets really cold, I pitch the tarp low. My question is, will this bag suffice for the entire hike since i'm starting in Maine later in the summer? I am doing this thing on a tight budget and am trying to avoid buying a bag. I like my bag. I can always sleep on top if its warm or not use it at all, right?How fast are you going to hike? Big difference in a 4 month hike ending Dec 1 and a 6 month hike ending Feb 1. Even so, anytime after Oct you may want a warmer bag especially once you get back to higher elevations in VA. And you may want to be prepared gear wise to "go to ground" in a winter storm as early as mid-October. Can your hammock tarp be pitched as a teepee? Is it big enough / right shape, etc.? Unless you have "doors" for the tarp and an underquilt it sounds like a cold setup for true winter conditions.

lemon b
01-28-2012, 00:50
I been packing a high end 20 degree bag. That said the pad is the key. Kids been using that bulkly winshield thing. Hell the liner to that been on the trail for years. My experience is the bag plus a big agnus pad and a sheet underneath. On them there cold nights up north. Then again guess I sleep warm.

Barbarella
01-30-2012, 06:32
I have a solite aluminum reflective pad for my hammock and an 8x10 rectangular silnylon tarp. I am getting a liner for my bag that adds 15 degrees of warmth. I am switching to a tent and thermarest at either Harper's Ferry or Damascus. I plan to finish around Dec 28,29. Thanks for all the input. I always sleep in thermal underwear, a down vest, gloves, down booties and a hat, when its cold. Some times, more.

Derek81pci
02-14-2012, 19:49
I'm going with my -40 degree military issue sleep system. Hot or cold, take something off or put it back on, no worries here. It will be worth the weight I'm thinking.

Barbarella
02-14-2012, 19:57
I'm testing my 20 year old -20 down bag this weekend, coupled with a brand new Reactor Sleeping bag liner and an aluminized solite pad in my hammock. The temps are supposed to be down in the 20's. Should be a good test.

Sassafras Lass
04-02-2012, 23:24
I'm taking my Mt. Hardwear synth 0 degree bag for the whole trip, + a silk liner to use as a sheet for the warm nights and to boost my comfort when I'm dehydrated/freezing outside.

LilRedTX
05-20-2012, 17:36
So far, my plan is my Big Agnes Peggy (15 degree down bag) with the Big Agnes Insulated Air core pad. I will be getting some sort of liner to use in warm weather and for extra warmth in colder temps. I don't plan on nor can I afford two bags to switch out, so I think I've got may bases covered with this selection, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

melloco89
05-20-2012, 18:44
Big agnes Mystic sl 15 degrees 2lb 4oz,im starting SOBO june 3 and just planning on using one bag.

Tree Nerd
02-01-2013, 13:24
Resurrection of a dead thread.......what are you 2013ers bringing? I am still on the fence about one bag or two.

I am bringing a polyester bag liner and I currently have a 20 degree synthetic that I plan on replacing with one or two bags for my thru. If i went with two I would get a down summer bag between 30 and 45 degrees and a down winter bag between 0 and 15 degrees. If I went with one I think I would go with a 15 degree down bag with a full zipper.

lumberjaime
03-10-2013, 21:15
Tree Nerd:

I'm starting june 1st with a 15* down bag. My plan is to mail that home somewhere around VT/MA and trade it for my 45* bag plus a liner. I'm sure I'll want to switch back before the end, but I'm hoping to finish by mid-late october so I'm not sure exactly where that will happen. I've spent the last two summers in the Whites, and I can say that it's worth having a warmer bag than you think you need. I've woken up on an August morning to find frozen water, and I've roasted in June. So, I guess nothing is perfect, but it might not be a bad idea for you to think about a 15* bag.

Nomadog
03-15-2013, 01:15
I recently purchased a military modular bag. It's the same as a layering concept with 3 attaching layers and a gortex bivy. You can get a used one under $100

jbhh
04-12-2013, 01:00
I've got a north face dolomite 40* down and a liner. I am a warm sleeper, but it's done me wonders hiking 3 seasons the Smoky's throughout college.