PDA

View Full Version : Is cooking worthwhile?

parintachin
07-02-2007, 18:24
For one who does not drink coffee or eat meat- is bringing a stove (even a lightweight one) worthwhile? I'm trying to think of foods that could be cooked and so far I've come up with oatmeal and rice. I know many people eat ramen noodles... other than these foods, what else are stoves really used for?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Footslogger
07-02-2007, 18:29
I think you pretty well covered all the bases ...

Unless you are REALLY into backwoods cooking it is mainly the boiling of water for rice, noodles or a flavored beverage of some sort.

It is for the above reason that several hikers carry the most simplistic form of alcohol stove these days.

Guess it depends a lot on your re-supply intervals and/or the seasons-weather. In the heat of summer the thought of a hot beverage doesn't appeal much to me. Then again, in Spring, Fall and Winter a warm /lunchdinner and/or a hot cup of coffee, tea or spiced cider makes all the difference.

'Slogger

shelterbuilder
07-02-2007, 18:53
For one who does not drink coffee or eat meat- is bringing a stove (even a lightweight one) worthwhile? I'm trying to think of foods that could be cooked and so far I've come up with oatmeal and rice. I know many people eat ramen noodles... other than these foods, what else are stoves really used for?

I don't use mine much: oatmeal, one-pot meals and tea. I can go for almost two weeks on the fuel in the tank (svea123) and an extra pint!

If you don't need it, why carry it? The extra weight only gets in the way of enjoying the day.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2007, 19:00
On a freezing cold day, a pot of Ramen for lunch can change your entire outlook.

Carrying an alcohol stove is lighter than carrying only foods that do not require cooking unless you plan extremely well.

Doctari
07-02-2007, 19:23
IMHO you don't really save any weight going "No cook", unless you can stand ramen & stuff cold & crunchy. What you save in fuel is (I think) made up by the water weight in the foods you will now be carrying.

I know at least one who lost the stove "To save weight" she (Maine Rose) said it didn't make any difference, & she was using a heavy gasoline stove & not an alcohol stove.

I like to "cook" at the end of the day, I guess cause its part of my ritual in camp. Also after having Hypothermia twice I'm NOT going without a way to get heat into my body in case of an emergency.

FWIW, I do the freezer bag cooking method http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/ Heat a little water, add to the food put in a cozy, go about your camp chores, when done, food is hot & ready to eat.

bigcranky
07-02-2007, 20:28
We did it both ways on one hike a couple of years ago. On a family section hike in NC, it was very hot and humid for early June, and nobody wanted to eat the noodle and rice dishes we brought on the first half. We arrived in Franklin hungry, and with lots of food left over in our packs.

While enjoying the hospitality of the Franklin Motel (and their pool!), we put our stove and cookpot in our mail drop (there with all the hot food that we sent ourselves to resupply), and went shopping at the IGA across the street. We loaded up on cold food: cheese, pita bread, bagels, lunch meat, pop tarts, dried fruit, cereal, tuna packets, tortillas, more cheese, chocolate, nuts, etc.

We found a couple of advantages: food prep was easy -- now every meal is like lunch, just put some tuna or turkey in a tortilla with some mayo and some cheese sticks, and eat. The food was good, too -- very tasty and filling, and much more palatable than Liptons or mac and cheese, especially in the summer.

But, my pack weighed a ton. The cold food far outweighed the stove and cookpot. That said, my pack did get light quickly, as we ate each meal. The other problem was that it started raining and got chilly, even during the day -- more typical June weather. So we missed having hot drinks at breakfast and dinner, and there were some nights that even a hot dinner might have been good.

So, sure, it's possible to hike without a stove in moderate weather. Just be aware that you won't save much, if any, weight by doing so. But you may eat better, if you choose wisely.

Happy trails.

gumball
07-02-2007, 20:43
My small canister of fuel for my pocket rocket is worth it to me--it allows me the luxury of variety and, as others have said, allows that I provide myself with something warm when my body gets cold. I have found that, even on a hot summer day, one good rain storm or a day walking across balds when its windy above (but hot below) can make me colder than I want to be.

I also think I'd get bored with foods that don't need cooked for the entire time I'm out there--just as I would get bored with cooked foods the whole time.

To each his own!!! But the simple pleasure of eating and preparing the food, at least on some days, is MY reward. I really look forward to it.

gum

Programbo
07-02-2007, 22:05
I think most of the answers have covered it..There really only is so much you can carry that requires cooking and almost all of it requires only boiling water..Rice..various pastas and noodles..some beans (Lentils)..Hot cereal...Hot Chocolate is always nice on cold/chilly mornings..If not coffee then at least tea...If you pass close to a store a few miles or hours before you reach the shelter for the night you can treat yourself to some canned veggies etc......Don`t forget popcorn!...To me having a nice warm meal is part of the enjoyment of being out there

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2007, 22:17
Stoves are good for melting snow for drinking water.

hammock engineer
07-03-2007, 00:25
To me food is a huge pick me up. Nothing beats a warm meal on a cold or long day.

oldbear
07-03-2007, 00:53
I'm one of those real serious food people and to me a good meal , properly cooked that tastes great not only nourishes my body but my also my soul and I know darned well that I know that I am going to have days where nourishing the spirit will be far more important to my overall well being than nourishing my body.
As Doctari mentioned there is also the practical aspect to all of this;
I almost died of hypothermia once and what saved me was my Svea 123 and the 2 qts of hot Wylers lemonaide that I made with it. Bottom line is that in a wilderness enviroment you need to raise your core temp .The best way to do that is from the inside out, not the outside in

Heater
07-03-2007, 02:02
As a vegetarian, you will be hard pessed to get enough calories as it is.
I would suggest carrying a stove for the Noodles, Rice and oatmeal.

oldfivetango
07-03-2007, 07:46
I'm one of those real serious food people and to me a good meal , properly cooked that tastes great not only nourishes my body but my also my soul and I know darned well that I know that I am going to have days where nourishing the spirit will be far more important to my overall well being than nourishing my body.
As Doctari mentioned there is also the practical aspect to all of this;
I almost died of hypothermia once and what saved me was my Svea 123 and the 2 qts of hot Wylers lemonaide that I made with it. Bottom line is that in a wilderness enviroment you need to raise your core temp .The best way to do that is from the inside out, not the outside in

You forgot to mention how much the awesome SOUND of the
Svea 123 did for your spirits as it churned that water to a rolling boil!:D
Oldfivetango

CoyoteWhips
07-03-2007, 08:25

I challenge that statement. It's not everybody's cup of tea -- so to speak -- but there are high fat, high calorie raw foods. I believe natural or blended+dehydrated meals that emphasize nuts and seeds exceed cooked flour or grains for protein and calories. If you like almond coconut date bars or garlic flax seed crackers with cashew cheese spread, I'll bet they taste even better on the trail.

But then, the trail makes even Beany-Weenies out of the can taste good! :-D

Appalachian Tater
07-03-2007, 09:35

Vegetarians have no trouble with calories; sometimes protein is a problem.

oldbear
07-03-2007, 12:44
You forgot to mention how much the awesome SOUND of the
Svea 123 did for your spirits as it churned that water to a rolling boil!:D
Oldfivetango
No kidding . The Sound of the stove is very distinctive and as you said very comforting.The 123's have as many ways to light them as they have owners. Once you get your own particular stove Zen worked out and the stove lit you KNOW it's going to perform flawlessly .

the goat
07-03-2007, 12:55
cooking sucks, leave the stove at home.

Heater
07-03-2007, 15:36
I challenge that statement. It's not everybody's cup of tea -- so to speak -- but there are high fat, high calorie raw foods. I believe natural or blended+dehydrated meals that emphasize nuts and seeds exceed cooked flour or grains for protein and calories. If you like almond coconut date bars or garlic flax seed crackers with cashew cheese spread, I'll bet they taste even better on the trail.

But then, the trail makes even Beany-Weenies out of the can taste good! :-D

And I challenge you to eat nothing but nuts and seeds and almond coconut date bars or garlic flax seed crackers with cashew cheese spread for six months straight! :D

I still say bring a stove...

Heater
07-03-2007, 15:47

But without a stove?

It would be much harder to obtain the calories and still have a healthy diet. I would want to have a good understanding of a raw food diet to do this. Seems like that would be heavy though.

When I was vegetarian, I supplemented my diet with Whey Protein Shakes so that was not a problem for me. If you are Vegan, I guess you'd have to go with Soy Protien. B-12 is the only other issue I can think of.

iliketacos
07-03-2007, 15:53
parintachin,

May I suggest setting up a 5-day meal plan that you have for your future hike and eat that plan at home before you hike and see if you can live without the stove. Don't cheat yourself-eat the planned meals and snacks only. I would recommend taking your meal/snack and eat it outside for added enjoyment. For maximum flavor put on all the layers you plan to wear-jump in a cold shower-get out and eat your dinner. If you have to you may walk past outdoor cafes and Yogi food if you get desperate-but you have to do something in return for the food like sing a song or offer to bus and wash some dishes or some such thing. Good luck on your hike.

Heater
07-03-2007, 16:00
But without a stove?

It would be much harder to obtain the calories and still have a healthy diet. I would want to have a good understanding of a raw food diet to do this. Seems like that would be heavy though.

When I was vegetarian, I supplemented my diet with Whey Protein Shakes so that was not a problem for me. If you are Vegan, I guess you'd have to go with Soy Protien. B-12 is the only other issue I can think of.

BTW, When I started as a Vegetarian/Vegan I did so thinking I would lose weight. I GAINED weight! :o

I stuck with it about 4 years though and I think I was much healthier during that time. It also introduced me to a lot of foods that I had not and probably would never have tried had I not made the decision.
Maybe I should reconsider. :-?

Grampie
07-03-2007, 17:36
I guess to cook or not has it's pros and cons. I think that having the ability to cook something or just heat water gives just one more creature comfort to a thru-hike. Having that ability may just give you the added boost to get you through one of the bad spells that you are shure to have. Nothing like something hot after hiking in cold or rain. It's sure nice to have something hot on the days when you have to get out of a warm bag and into a less than perfict world.

The Weasel
07-03-2007, 17:59

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

- Pasta (spaghetti, tortelloni, bowtie)
- "Lipton noodles" packaged meals (multiple flavors)
- Polenta (yellow grits)
- Couscous
- Dried vegetables (tomatoe, peppers, carrots, potatoes)
- Dried soups
- Beans/lentils/peas
- Dry soy meat
- TVP
- Lightweight fish (pouch tuna, salmon)

That's a start. yeah, bring the stove.

The Weasel

saimyoji
07-03-2007, 18:44
Stoves are good for melting snow for drinking water.

Seems like an incredible waste of stove fuel. Wasn't there a survival expose on this?

CoyoteWhips
07-03-2007, 18:46
It also introduced me to a lot of foods that I had not and probably would never have tried had I not made the decision.
Maybe I should reconsider. :-?

Just maybe you should.... :-?

I've been mostly raw vegan since last July. Same as you -- lots of foods I'd never tried before. I'm 70 pounds less than when I started. I lose one or two pounds a week without any other special effort.

One reason why I'm backpacking now, something thing to try with the new body.

Programbo
07-03-2007, 18:57
Skinner: Good morning class. A certain...agitator...for privacy's sake
let's call her...Lisa S. No, that's too obvious...uuuh, let's
say L. Simpson --
[Lisa slaps her forehead in a slient D'oh!]
has raised questions about certain school policies. So, in the
interest in creating an open dialogue, sit silently and watch
this film.

The film starts. "The Meat Council Presents: `Meat and You: Partners in
Freedom'. Number 3F03 in the `Resistance is Useless' series." Open on
cattle country.

Troy: Nothing beats a stroll in cattle country. Hi, I'm Troy McClure.
You may remember me from such educational films as "Two Minus
Three Equals Negative Fun" and "Firecrackers: The Silent Killer".
Jimmy: Mr. McClure?
Troy: Oh! Hello Bobby.
Jimmy: Jimmy. I'm curious as to how meat gets from the ranch to my
stomach.
Troy: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down Jimmy. You just asked a mouthful.
It all starts here, in the high density feed lot. Then, when the
cattle are just right [swipes his finger along the top of a cow
and licks it] Yum...it's time for them to graduate from Bovine
University.

A klaxon blares out a siren and the cattle begin moving up a conveyor
belt into the meat packing plant.

Troy: Come on Jimmy, let's take a peek at the killing floor.
Jimmy: Ohhh!
Troy: Don't let the name throw you Jimmy. It's not really a floor,
it's more of a steel grating that allows material to sluice
through so it can be collected and exported.
-- Troy nearly got in at Hendon, "Lisa the Vegetarian"

They walk throught the door of the plant accompanied by the sounds of
moo-ing and startled cows. Electricity noise sparks in the background
as the camera pans down the length of the factory to a truck marked
"Meat For You" being loaded with raw chunks of meat. Troy and Jimmy
emerge, with Jimmy visibly pale and queasy.

Troy: Gettin hungry Jimmy?
Jimmy: Uhh, Mr. McClure? I have a crazy friend who says its wrong
to eat meat. Is he crazy?
Troy: Nooo, just ignorant. You see your crazy friend never heard
of "The Food Chain". [Flash to a picture of "Food Chain",
with all animals and arrows pointing to a silhouette of a
human.] Just ask this scientician.
Scientician: [Looking up from a microscope.] Uhhh...
Troy: He'll tell you that, in nature, one creature invariably
eats another creature to survive.
[Images of various wild carnivores attacking and eating
others appear.]
Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance,
he'd eat you and everyone you care about! [Image of a cow
quietly chewing cud.]
Jimmy: Wow, Mr. McClure. I was a grade A moron to ever question
eating meat.
Troy: [Laughs.] Yes you were Jimmy, yes you were. [Briskly rubs
his hand on Jimmy's head.]
Jimmy: [Timid] Uhh...you're hurting me.

Heater
07-03-2007, 19:10

I've been mostly raw vegan since last July. Same as you -- lots of foods I'd never tried before. I'm 70 pounds less than when I started. I lose one or two pounds a week without any other special effort.

Eating raw foods might have led to weight loss for me. I cooked a lot of food to experiment and try out new ingredients and recipes. I don't know if I could eat just raw food.

oldbear
07-03-2007, 20:12

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon3.gif This leads directly into the idea that eating raw food is ineffecient.At it's most elemental ,cooking is simply using heat and chemical reactions to partially digest food. Cooking takes large complex molecules and makes smaller simpler and therefore easier to digest molecules out of them. That fact that a particular food item may be nutrient rich is of questionable value . If those nutrients cannot be effeciently utilized then they are of limited practical value.
It may very well be that because cooking allows many more nutrients per given mass of food to be utilzed by the body , the weight of "the kitchen " ,will actualy less than the weight of the greater amount of raw food needed to be nutritionally equal to the cooked food.

CoyoteWhips
07-03-2007, 21:25
It may very well be that because cooking allows many more nutrients per given mass of food to be utilzed by the body , the weight of "the kitchen " ,will actualy less than the weight of the greater amount of raw food needed to be nutritionally equal to the cooked food.

With respect, personal experience and shared anecdotal information with people I know personally outweighs the value of theoretical works. There are very few reliable studies of the value of a raw diet, because nobody is going to make any money from it -- there is no National Raw Food Board.

From my point of view, I am healthier with more energy eating raw vegan than I was eating a standard American diet (sAd). Really the only rationalization I need.

I don't want to hijack the thread with a raw vegan debate, though. If anybody want to PM me, I'd be happy expand on my favorite theories.

oldbear
07-03-2007, 21:53
I don't want to hijack this thread either. Parintachin asked whether or not the weight of a stove was justifiable . I happen to think it is worth it for reasons that my own life experience and formal culinary education say are true.
Raw vs cooked ? measure what went in,measure what came out,note the differences
And I am done with this thread.
I hope that I was somehow helpful

Heater
07-03-2007, 21:54
With respect, personal experience and shared anecdotal information with people I know personally outweighs the value of theoretical works. There are very few reliable studies of the value of a raw diet, because nobody is going to make any money from it -- there is no National Raw Food Board.

From my point of view, I am healthier with more energy eating raw vegan than I was eating a standard American diet (sAd). Really the only rationalization I need.

I don't want to hijack the thread with a raw vegan debate, though. If anybody want to PM me, I'd be happy expand on my favorite theories.

Well... on the other hand, if you have any advice on the subject of eating a healthy raw foods diet, I think that would be of great value to the original poster of this thread if he wants to go stoveless.

Books, websites, forums?

sarbar
07-03-2007, 22:09
I love my stove. Ok, I love ALL of my stoves. I love my Primus Litetech tea kettle and my MSR Titanium Kettle.
Today after powering up a number of steep snowfields, we sank down into a protected nook out of the wind, off of the Wonderland Trail and had a hot lunch (as usual) :)
Fully vegetarian it was:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Rainier/Sun8.jpg

Took about 10 minutes total time and minimal gear. Ford (my son) and I had pasta, mushrooms, peas tossed with EVOO, red bell pepper pesto and Parmesan cheese. It was very good!

I carry a stove pretty much year round, from dayhikes to long trips. For me, a hot meal is what keeps me going.

Heater
07-03-2007, 22:21
I love my stove. Ok, I love ALL of my stoves. I love my Primus Litetech tea kettle and my MSR Titanium Kettle.
Today after powering up a number of steep snowfields, we sank down into a protected nook out of the wind, off of the Wonderland Trail and had a hot lunch (as usual) :)
Fully vegetarian it was:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Rainier/Sun8.jpg

Took about 10 minutes total time and minimal gear. Ford (my son) and I had pasta, mushrooms, peas tossed with EVOO, red bell pepper pesto and Parmesan cheese. It was very good!

I carry a stove pretty much year round, from dayhikes to long trips. For me, a hot meal is what keeps me going.

Ahhhhh, the voice of reason.

CoyoteWhips
07-03-2007, 22:49
Well... on the other hand, if you have any advice on the subject of eating a healthy raw foods diet, I think that would be of great value to the original poster of this thread if he wants to go stoveless.

Books, websites, forums?

That I can do!

Bear in mind that I lived for years on a diet that was mostly animal fat and sugar water, so I'm not terribly concerned about potential vitamin deficiencies. I'm just happy that any random pain the chest area doesn't make me stop and wonder if it's an impending heart attack.

Lots of recipes -- some can be packed, some are inspiration: http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/

However, in actual practice, I think eating raw is deceptively simple. At home I have a big fruit bowl -- when I'm hungry, I eat stuff out of it. When I want something more complex, I take a big bowl of Romaine or baby spinach, drizzle it with olive oil and add a bunch of salad stuff to it. So, my food prep consists mostly of peeling and dicing.

I have no problem traveling with baggies of sun dried fruits and veggies, raw nuts, some little bottles of olive oil and vinegar, sea salt, spices. I wouldn't walk away from any town without some fresh fruit.

Some people tell me they sprout seeds in a mesh bag tied to their pack. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a fun way to get greens. Almonds and buckwheat are particularly easy to sprout.

How does it all work on the trail? I'll have to let you know. I don't have enough experience to be an authority. However, my buddy Tonya Kay, superhero nomad, has done this stuff for years. She has a forum at http://tonyakay.com/phpbb/index.php and actively answers questions.

Jester2000
07-03-2007, 23:11
And I challenge you to eat nothing but nuts and seeds and almond coconut date bars or garlic flax seed crackers with cashew cheese spread for six months straight!

I did that, and it was fine. But at the time I was a chipmunk.

As for what else food-wise you can cook, I like Stove Top. Also potatoes. And soup (which, as Matty will point out, is made primarily of soup). If you want to get all crazy about it, you can cook anything you cook on your stove at home (non-refrigerated, of course), because, you know, you've got a stove.

If, however, you choose not to carry a stove, then you'll have to deal with the fact that you don't have a stove. Foods you carry will, by necessity, be heavier. Want tea? No. Hot meal, 'cause you're cold and wet? No. Need to sterilize a needle to do some foot surgery? Sorry. And don't ask to use my stove or my fuel. I'll help out someone who's short, but I'm not a sherpa, and your bad decision will weigh more if I don't enable you.

Carry a stove. I don't use the alcohol ones many use today, but they weigh as close to nothing as something that useful can.

I know folks who have gotten by for a couple of days without a stove, even a week or two. I have yet to personally see anyone on the trail who did it over the long term who was happy. And happy keeps you on the trail.

Heater
07-03-2007, 23:20
Need to sterilize a needle to do some foot surgery? Sorry. And don't ask to use my stove or my fuel. I'll help out someone who's short, but I'm not a sherpa, and your bad decision will weigh more if I don't enable you.

What if I said, I love you, man... please let me have some fire! :-?

CoyoteWhips
07-03-2007, 23:22
Need to sterilize a needle to do some foot surgery? Sorry.

I know folks who have gotten by for a couple of days without a stove, even a week or two. I have yet to personally see anyone on the trail who did it over the long term who was happy. And happy keeps you on the trail.

Can't you sterilize a needle with a match?

With all I wrote about raw food, I didn't mention, I have a stove. I really like a hot cup of tea in the morning. Plus, how else are you gonna make a hot water bottle for cold nights?

Fire good.

Heater
07-03-2007, 23:29

With all I wrote about raw food, I didn't mention, I have a stove. I really like a hot cup of tea in the morning. Plus, how else are you gonna make a hot water bottle for cold nights?

Fire good.

You have a stove?!! OK. Now you are cheating.

We are considering hiking without a stove... raw foods. No heat. ;)

Jester2000
07-04-2007, 00:21

Of course you can! At least you can tell yourself that it will, and you'll probably be right. Nonetheless, if I ever have to have surgery, and my options are the doctor who steams (boils) his instruments at 250 degrees and the doctor who's holding his instruments over a match (saying, "don't worry. In an emergency this is supposed to work just fine"), I'm pretty sure I know whom I'll choose. How 'bout you?

Nightwalker
07-04-2007, 01:12

I love TVP in Ramen. Just make sure to soak it 10 minutes and pour off the water so as to avoid the soy-farts

Nightwalker
07-04-2007, 01:23
I really like a hot cup of tea in the morning.

Hot tea three times a day. That's reason enough for a stove right there! Irish Breakfast in the morning, Earl Grey at lunch and Lapsang Souchon in the afternoon. Rotate and vary. Tea is my favorite trail food, home food, whatever food. And maybe why I'm posting at 1:30 AM! (Bavarian Wild Berry at 11:30 PM probably caused that one.)

parintachin
07-19-2007, 19:52
This is the first time since posting I've been able to check back; thank you, everyone, for the plethora of responses! With only a week to go 'til I start out for 500 miles of trail this my only decision left to make, and you've definitely helped out. Thanks again!

ASUGrad
07-24-2007, 15:51
I like the idea of freezer bag cooking but what is a "cozy"? I didn't know that freezer bags could stand boiling water.

Slosteppin
07-24-2007, 20:23
I like the idea of freezer bag cooking but what is a "cozy"? I didn't know that freezer bags could stand boiling water.

You can (I do) pour boiling water from the kettle into the freezer bag.
I dehydrate soups & stews and put one serving in a quart freezer bag. In camp I boil water and pour in enough to cover the dehydrated food.
I put my freezer bag in an empty Gater Aid powder plastic can. This holds the freezer bag up to I can easily pour into it. Then I close the bag and screw the lid on. After 15 minutes it is still hotter than I want to eat. I then open the freezer bag and pull the top down over the sides of the plastic can. This makes it easier to eat from.

The "cozy" is an insulated package, in many shapes, to hold the heat longer.

Slosteppin

JAK
07-24-2007, 20:46
I don't cook real meals, but I eat lots of oatmeal and drink lots of tea with lots of milk and honey. I even drink tea, milk, and honey while travelling. I use a Kelly Kettle mostly because it is really fast and will burn most anything, and even use hot water for dishes, laundry, sponge bathing. I leave the base at home which saves a little on bulk and weight. Anyhow, that's not what this post is about.

If I hiked somewhere I couldn't burn sticks I would still brink an alcohol stove, but I would probably need to conserve more so I might skip the oatmeal and use all my hot water for tea, milk, honey. I bring tea like chai that has lots of spices in it. I also make my own from bark and needles and twigs and whatever else falls in. I am also a pyro, so fire is a pretty much a given. I think I would leave food behind before fire.

mnof1000v
07-24-2007, 20:49
I always wonder about "going cold", but I never actually do it... I really like a cup of hot tea at the end of the day - even in summer.

From a strictly practical point of view, cooked food is easier for your body to digest. It actually conserves energy.

JAK
07-24-2007, 20:53
El Guapo: "Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?"
Jefe: "Yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora."
El Guapo: "Jefe, what is a plethora?"

Heater
07-24-2007, 23:54
El Guapo: "Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?"
Jefe: "Yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora."
El Guapo: "Jefe, what is a plethora?"

Ah HAH! So I am not the only one who immediately thought of that line when I read the post. :D

hopefulhiker
07-25-2007, 16:43
A cozy is an insulated wrap made of various materials. For example I used one made of duct tape and bubble wrap. You can make them out of those blue foam pads or other insulating material. You "cook" the food by wrapping your hydrating bag or pot in the cozy and letting it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes. I even used my fleece cap as a cozy for a while.