PDA

View Full Version : Cheap/light pot for two?

Fenrir
07-02-2007, 18:54
Does anyone know of a good cheap and light cookpot large enough for two people? I'm kind of hoping for something a la grease pot. If anyone knows of one please let me know. Thanks!

Skidsteer
07-02-2007, 18:56
Does anyone know of a good cheap and light cookpot large enough for two people? I'm kind of hoping for something a la grease pot. If anyone knows of one please let me know. Thanks!

Go to K-Mart and buy a grease pot. Holds about a quart, cheap, light.

Roland
07-02-2007, 18:59
If the Grease Pot is too small, try AntiGravityGear (http://www.antigravitygear.com)'s 2 qt pot.

It's available in non-stick and hard anodized finishes.

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2007, 19:10
Two smaller pots may be more flexible than one large one. You can have two different dishes, food and beverage, use them to eat from, etc., and they pack smaller.

Weldman
07-03-2007, 10:42
If it just water you are heating up, how about a using 24oz Heineken beer keg can. Will hold 20-22 oz max without boiling over, perfect with a
MSR pocket rocket.

the goat
07-03-2007, 13:00
Cheap/light pot for two?

i would go with some jamaican outdoor schwag.:D

GlazeDog
07-04-2007, 11:29
AntiGravityGear's 2qt pot is the way to go. It's lighter than MSR's 2Liter Titan Pot too and way less money. I love mine.

GlazeDog

jasonklass
07-04-2007, 14:44
I thirg the AGG pot. They're great, cheap, and durable. Much more durable than the Greasepot.

jrwiesz
07-05-2007, 07:52
i would go with some jamaican outdoor schwag.:D
The price is light?:D

Seeker
07-05-2007, 14:05

i was in the Houston REI a few days ago, and they had an aluminum pot for sale at the MSR cookware display. it's not an MSR product, but it was a 1.5 Qt pot, and iirc, it was about $7. there was a shelf marker for a 2 Qt pot, but they were out. probably could find it at REI online.

Fenrir
07-05-2007, 19:57
Thanks seeker, that seems like what I'm looking for, but all I can find on the site is an Open Country two quart pot for $12, but I'll keep looking. Thanks!

Programbo
07-05-2007, 20:26
Anti-Gravity Gear?..MSR?..REI?...Geez..Just go in any K-Mart or Wal-Mart to the area they have the el cheapo camping equipment and get a 2 qt covered pot for like $8-$10...Might weigh 8 ounces as opposed to the 6 ounces of those high-tech "ultra-light" companies..Heaven for bid!

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2007, 20:38
I know a place on the Trail that sells Titanium fuel bottles (for around sixty bucks!)

Or, you can get the same sized regular MSR fuel bottle.....for around ten bucks.

It weighs perhaps an ounce more, maybe not even.

This whole titanium-ultra lightweight thing is getting way outta hand.

Just say NO and refuse to be a gram weenie.

Spending an extra forty-odd bucks to save an ounce and a half is nothing less than stupid.

Appalachian Tater
07-05-2007, 20:42
Or you can buy a Nalgene bottle for under $3.00 and it weighs less: http://tinyurl.com/2o9m4d

soulrebel
07-05-2007, 20:55
coughlans makes a 2L pot for $9.99.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13888&memberId=12500226

mine actually weighs about pot (5.7 oz) w/o the lid (1.6oz) i guess that makes 7.3oz and mine is crusty w/ fire char, so i dunno know why it says 8oz.

a ti 1.3L pot weighs around 5.8oz total w/ lid and doesn't have near the convenience of a top bail handle imo

Ti is a waste of ****ing money plain and simple unless it's your prescription glasses :)--correction I have long handled TI spoon dammit man.

GlazeDog
07-06-2007, 00:47
Fenrir--
That Open COuntry Pot on REI or Campmor is the same as the AGG pot minus the bail handle. The bail handle can snag your back and/or its contents. Just lay out the $17 instead of $12 and get the AGG pot. How cheap does it need to be???? They're both 2 liters.

GlazeDog

GlazeDog
07-06-2007, 00:47
That was supposed to read pack not back that the handle could snag---ooops. lol

Pokey2006
07-06-2007, 07:13
Hey, check out yard sales. Tis the season for those... and you could find a good deal on a nice, light cooking pot. My main pot is one I found under the counter in my kitchen, an ancient, banged-up (even before the hike) leftover from a former roommate. It was made of aluminum, sturdy, yet light, with a handle that came right off with a twist of a screw. Similar cooking pots would be easy to find after hitting a couple of yard sales, I would think. No need to spend a fortune at REI.

Fenrir
07-06-2007, 12:10
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice so far. I think I may have not been clear on what I was looking for. I'm just looking for a simple/cheap pot, hoping that the simple ones are light like the grease pot. I don't have an exact standard for how cheap it needs to be, I just like hearing all the options/opinions before I decide. Thanks again for all the help!