PDA

View Full Version : Fitted footwear?

Miu
07-02-2007, 19:51
Today I was looking at Runner's world magazine, and they had a guide to figuring out what kind of arch (low, normal or high) you have on your foot. Just dip your foot in water and step on a piece of paper, then match the imprint to examples in the magazine. This info was supposed to clue you in to which kind of running shoe you should use.

My question is this: would it be worthwhile to have shoes fitted to your feet prior to your hike? Usually I choose shoes based on appearance, and whether the shoe feels comfortable on my foot, but how do you know if the shoe is compatible with your arch type and needed support?

I've been following Persistent's and Certain's trailjournals, and both women have had foot problems due in part to their shoe choices. They had to go to an outfitter, explain their problems to a shoe expert and try on basically every shoe in the store to determine proper fit/flexibility/support.

Could this type of problem be avoided by having shoes professionally fit before the hike, or will your shoe needs change significantly when you start hiking regardless of the fit beforehand?

Whistler
07-02-2007, 22:09
Your feet may or may not change. Either way, why not start with a good fit guided by someone who knows what they're doing? If you're already active when you buy your shoes (through regular running or hiking) you'll be at an advantage--you'll know more about the fit you'll need, and the changes will be less dramatic.

Also, that's one more reason not to buy the absolute top-of-the-line $$$ shoes. Don't be afraid to go through a couple pairs/styles between now and then. What you don't use for "serious" purposes can always be used around the yard... or for trail maintenance :)
-Mark

hammock engineer
07-03-2007, 00:23
I just got a pair of Montrail insoles. They have a plastic piece on them that you heat up and mold it to the bottom of your foot. It makes a custom fit for your arch. Feel pretty good to me.

I thought Presistant, posts here as Michele, thought she had plantar fasitous (spelling). I thought that was a viral infection. I may be wrong on this one.

Marta
07-03-2007, 04:47
Miu--I think it's worth the time and money to go to a good running shoe store for a fitting. The height of your arch is just the beginning. They will take a look at the various angles your feet, ankles, knees, etc. make, analyze your walking/running motion, and fit you with a shoe that should help you prevent overuse injury. OTOH, you can just start out and see what happens, then deal with it when it does.

HE--plantar fasciitis isn't a virus. It appears to be an overuse injury. I think the usual treatment is stretching the bottom of the foot, manually flexing the heel and toes.

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic429.htm

(Where are you in the countdown?)

Marta/Five-Leaf

Quoddy
07-03-2007, 08:44
My question is this: would it be worthwhile to have shoes fitted to your feet prior to your hike? Usually I choose shoes based on appearance, and whether the shoe feels comfortable on my foot, but how do you know if the shoe is compatible with your arch type and needed support?

Check out most running and trail shoes, and the videos that quite thoroughly explain fitting and what the listings for each shoe means at Running Warehouse (http://www.runningwarehouse.com/). I've found this to be very helpful in my purchases.

hammock engineer
07-03-2007, 09:35
Miu--I think it's worth the time and money to go to a good running shoe store for a fitting. The height of your arch is just the beginning. They will take a look at the various angles your feet, ankles, knees, etc. make, analyze your walking/running motion, and fit you with a shoe that should help you prevent overuse injury. OTOH, you can just start out and see what happens, then deal with it when it does.

HE--plantar fasciitis isn't a virus. It appears to be an overuse injury. I think the usual treatment is stretching the bottom of the foot, manually flexing the heel and toes.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Thanks for clearing that up for me. The countdown is T-10 days. Already done with the job, in the process of moving all my stuff into my family members garage. Spending a few days with my family, then I'm off.

leeki pole
07-03-2007, 09:49

Marta/Five-Leaf
And take an old pair of shoes when you get fitted. The soles tell a story of what you need, and a good fitter will know exactly what you need.

And plantar faciitis is tough. Inflammation of the sheet of tissue on the sole of your foot, takes forever to heal because of poor blood supply. BTDT:rolleyes:

oldbear
07-03-2007, 12:56
And take an old pair of shoes when you get fitted. The soles tell a story of what you need, and a good fitter will know exactly what you need.

And plantar faciitis is tough. Inflammation of the sheet of tissue on the sole of your foot, takes forever to heal because of poor blood supply. BTDT:rolleyes:
The wet foot is an old physical therapist technique. A physiacl therapist will have you get your feet wet and then take a walk across the carpet. The wet walk will reveal much about your feet and all that's attached to them.
Shoe's are the absolute best guideline for evaluating how you walk because they show the long term history of body.