PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use any of these tents????

strez
07-03-2007, 15:32
I'm buying a new semi-lightweight, 3-person tent for when I take my two kids backpacking (my Sierra Designs Lookout did the job well, but is a bit heavy and on its last breath). This is my short list of tents I'm considering. Does anyone have any experience with any of these tents? I would appreciate all comments and opinions. Thanks so much!

MSR Mutha Hubba
Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3
Mountain Hardwear Viperine 3
Marmot Bise 3
Marmot Aeolos 3
Mountain Hardwear Haven 3
Black Diamond Vista

Thanks for any input!

taildragger
07-03-2007, 16:53
How old are your kids, and what kinda trips are you planning to do with them? Also, what do you want out of a tent.

From the ones that you have mentioned on your list, I have heard a lot of good things about the MSR from multiple people. Although I have heard that the MSR is a little flimsy in wind, its truly a 3 season and not a 3+ season like some other tents.

It seems that every review that I have seen of the Marmots (new tents at least) have been good, especially the Aeolos 2p. I really like the design of the marmot tents, and thats probably what I would go with myself.

One other tent that you might want to look into would be the Big Agnes seedhouse.

Dirtygaiters
07-03-2007, 20:46
One thing about the MSR Hubba series tents is that all mesh upper construction is great in a dry climate where you can leave the fly off all night. You can see out on all sides.

LIhikers
07-11-2007, 22:08
My wife and I use a Sierra Designs Sirius 3 tent so we have room for our 80 shephard dog. We're very happy with it. I know it's not on your short list but maybe you'd consider it anyway.

gold bond
07-12-2007, 10:01
Mountain Hardware PCT1 or PCT2. Love 'em!!

rswanson
07-12-2007, 11:11
I'd say the most used (at least by folks you're likely to find here) and well-reviewed on your list is the MSR Hubba series. Is the tent for the 3 of you or just the kids? Just a word of caution- 3 person tents are often more like 2+ person tents. Get the floor dimensions, mark them out on the floor at home, and have everyone lie down in that area. Then, check the tent out set up if you can. Have fun!

gold bond
07-12-2007, 13:40
If looking at the MSR line look at the Seedhouse 1 & 2