PDA

View Full Version : Digital USGS Topo Maps and Nav Software

sdustin101
10-10-2003, 17:57
My company is selling Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide, Pacific Crest, and National Parks navigation software and USGS Topo Map coverage of the entire areas.

Great resource. Let's you print out maps of your route, plot marks and waypoints. Uploads and downloads to GPS.

Check it out at

http://www.andale.com/stores/sf_catHome.jsp?foo=bar&sid=179495&cid=12219434&mode=1&catId=1271266&pnum=1&psize=10&pageIndex=-1

I highly recommend. A+++ reviews.

I got into this business because I believe Maptech has a truly great product and at these prices it is a great deal for the general hiking populace.

Sorry if this was misleading in anyway. Wasn't my intention.

Let's hope most people on the trails aren't like DeedDawg.

jlb2012
10-10-2003, 18:42
hummm ... and your relationship with this vendor is what???

tlbj6142
10-11-2003, 16:42
Good point. Besides, I had read somewhere that the TopoUSA 4.0 software is the "best".

NOTE: I have no reletionship to the makers of TopoUSA 4.0. Just a geek that reads reviews on stuff he'll never buy. :)

bearbag hanger
10-11-2003, 18:49
I've purchase the AT Maptech CDs. They're a little out of date (trail info is from 1999) and Maptech has no plans to update them at all. Don't know about the others, but I assume the year the put them together is the only year you'll ever have acurate info for.

Kerosene
10-12-2003, 09:31
I purchased the Maptech CDs for the AT a few months ago as they went on sale. As an experienced PC user, I was disappointed at the difficulty in configuring itineraries for daily hikes. They do include much of the guidebook info, but the elevation maps are based on the highest and lowest elevations in the section you're viewing, which can be misleading.

The best thing about the software is that, as a section hiker, I can preview future sections without having to purchase all the guidebooks. However, once I decide on a section, I'll almost certainly go out and purchase the latest guidebook and map set.

deeddawg
10-13-2003, 08:16
So, "sdustin101", how come "this company" you recommend has a contact email address of "[email protected]" and also has its products on eBay under the ebay id "sdustin101"?

Hawking your stuff on here is bad enough; implying that you're just a customer is lying and I for one will never do business with a company that has to lie to attract business.

Scumbag.

sdustin101
10-13-2003, 20:05
It wasn't my intention to deceive anyone. Just a poor choice in wording. "Buy my stuff" doesn't come off as too friendly.

Perhaps, using the same email address (as the one posted in the message board, as the contact information for my company, as the eBay seller) seemed like "crafty" deception in the circles you run in, but I thought it quite obvious to even the dim-witted crowd. Again, I apologize if it seemed like deception to you.

Your "scumbag" comment was uncalled for and I doubt very highly, given the chance, you would use it on the trail face to face.

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2003, 20:17
well if the shoe fits...and good fitting shoes are a trail must..or you get blistered....

sdustin101
10-13-2003, 20:24
It takes a big man to fill my "shoes".

Is everyone in here hostile or just against capitalism in general?

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2003, 20:26
well a lot of hikers do like to stay at hostels....

sdustin101
10-13-2003, 20:30
LOL

And with that, the pun award goes to...

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2003, 20:31
LOL maybe they are just honest and upfront

sdustin101
10-13-2003, 20:35
Again, poor choice in wording. Obviously buyers and not sellers in this group.

TJ aka Teej
10-13-2003, 20:41
To spare yourself from further SPAMMING by sdustin101, just click on the profile button in his/her posts and click the 'add to my ignore list' option.

deeddawg
10-14-2003, 09:12
Originally posted by sdustin101
It wasn't my intention to deceive anyone. Just a poor choice in wording. "Buy my stuff" doesn't come off as too friendly.

I honestly doubt that you accidentally posted in the third person. "This company sells" is quite a bit different from "I have available if you're interested".

But who knows, I could be wrong.

Note that I'm not editing my original post either, I'll leave that stand as-is, despite now being out of context given the edits you've made to your post.

Your "scumbag" comment was uncalled for and I doubt very highly, given the chance, you would use it on the trail face to face.

Sorry you feel that way. And you are wrong, I tend to pretty much call it like I see it on the boards and in person.

I'm very pro-entrepreneurship and applaud your efforts to grow your own business. But be forthright and honest in your marketing. Shilling, whether intentional or inadvertant, is pretty universally frowned upon.

Nightwalker
12-04-2003, 16:01
Let's hope most people on the trails aren't like DeedDawg.

It'd be interesting to know what you meant by that remark.