PDA

View Full Version : DriClime Pants???

Dirtygaiters
07-03-2007, 19:36
OK, so I read all the rave reviews here about the Marmot DriClime windshirt and was at REI the other day to check out their midsummer sales and sure enough, the DriClime winshirt was marked down to $60 and I picked one up. I won't really have a use for it for a couple of months, but I'm thoroughly impressed with its construction and apparent versatility.

I've noticed that Marmot also makes a DriClime pant with full side zips. It seems like a ligtweight, windproof, insulating and versatile piece of clothing, but I haven't been able to find one in any of the local stores. Does anybody have experience with this pant?

Blade
09-29-2008, 17:52
I know, I know ... this is a fairly old post. I'm bumping it because I'm interested and can't find much information on the web.

I'm also interested in the Driclime stretch pants ... which are lighter and have a partial zip.

bigcranky
09-29-2008, 19:14
I like my Driclime jacket. Love it, in fact. It's often the only warm layer I bring, and I wear it 24/7 on winter hikes.

For pants, I prefer a separate base layer and windproof shell. The Driclimes would, for me, be too hot to hike in most of the year, and the full zipper adds excess weight. (My homemade wind pants weigh 2.7 ounces.)

Let me add that many hikers prefer a separate baselayer and wind shell on the top, too, and there's a good argument to be made for that. But you can pry my Driclime wind shirt out of my cold, dead... no wait, that's something else.

Mooselook Marty
09-29-2008, 19:24
I have the Driclime windpants for hiking in cool or moderately cold conditions (10 to 35 degrees). They are exceptionally comfortable, lightweight and toasty. The full zips work well for ventilation. Snow does not stick to them. They are also a nice alternative to carrying fleece pants or long johns for cold weather backpacking or as an emergency layer. The price is also very reasonable.

They do have a couple of potential drawbacks, however:

They have only one pocket. I like having lots of pockets while winter hiking to easily access things without having to go into my pack (examples: glove liners, shell mittens, food, bandana, hand warmers, etc.). I compensate for this by wearing a decent xized fanny pack.
They are not waterproof, so you might need a pair of rain pants over them in wet conditions, like cold rain or when snow is melting from the trees. I recommend rain pants with full zips ot thigh vents for ventilation.
I sometimes wear them below 10 degrees with a pair of light long johns, but often opt for my insulated snowboarding pants, as they are fully waterproof, have lots of packets and are really warm.

Can't give you a recommendation here. It really depends on your intended purpose. Hope this helps.

Marty

Blade
09-29-2008, 21:25
Guess I should have given more information!

I have a driclime jacket, and love it! I was thinking that these pants would be comfortable for lounging around in camp, but not really looking to hike in them. Paired with a warm jacket, they seem like a nice match to boost my sleeping bag during shoulder seasons.

I agree that the lack of pockets may be an issue, but the tradeoff is keeping the weight down ...

As with most things, opinions will vary. I was hoping to get some opinions of the product, as it looks like I'll have to order them over the web as they don't seem to be carried anywhere nearby.

Thanks for the info/opinions!

bigcranky
09-30-2008, 10:17
OK, for lounging around camp in cold weather, I have a pair of Powerstretch fleece tights. They are quite warm, and work well inside my sleeping bag. With my wind pants (or rain pants) on top, they are way warmer than the Driclime pants, and I think the combo is lighter. Of course, they don't have full zippers.

But yeah, I can see the Driclime pants for a warm apres-hike layer around camp.

Blade
09-30-2008, 19:00
OK, for lounging around camp in cold weather, I have a pair of Powerstretch fleece tights. They are quite warm, and work well inside my sleeping bag. With my wind pants (or rain pants) on top, they are way warmer than the Driclime pants, and I think the combo is lighter. Of course, they don't have full zippers.

But yeah, I can see the Driclime pants for a warm apres-hike layer around camp.

Just one question, when you say this combination is warmer than the Driclime pants, is that based on experience with the product or your familiarity with the jacket version?

I REALLY love the jacket; I was hoping that the pants might be a great middle-of-the-road piece of gear like the jacket ... not necessarily the warmest or lightest, but fairly warm/fairly light that I am comfortable wearing in a wide range of temperatures.

bigcranky
09-30-2008, 20:59
Yes, I was projecting from two pieces of info: 1) my experience with the Driclime jacket, which I have owned and used for many years, and 2) my experience wearing light long john bottoms and my UL wind pants. Together these are the same weight, thickness, and warmth as the Driclime material. The Powerstretch tights are thicker and warmer. Together with my wind pants, there is no contest.

Yes, the Driclime pants would be a great middle of the road piece -- neither too warm nor too heavy nor too cold. Go for it.