PDA

View Full Version : New here

oreotragus
07-03-2007, 22:46
Hey everyone, my name is Jenni, and I'm new to the forums. :)

I am a 20 y/o college student in south Georgia. I'm planning on doing a southbound thru-hike of the AT when I graduate from Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College in maybe two years. It's all I can think of... I just got back from a 5-day vacation in the north GA mountains with my family and my boyfriend and I got to hike on several trails while there, including some of the AT at Neels Gap. It was very inspiring for me, and it was hard to turn back. I kept saying to my boyfriend, "just a little further, then we'll go", "just around that bend, then we'll turn around", etc.

Glad to be here! I'm going to soak up all the knowledge here in the long time I have before my thru.

Jenni

dixicritter
07-03-2007, 22:48
Welcome to WB.

Jester2000
07-03-2007, 22:53
Jenni, Jenni, two years from now, and it's all you can think of? You'll go insane. Think a little bit about the Braves. Wait. That's not gonna solve the problem.

Welcome, and good luck!

oreotragus
07-03-2007, 22:56
I could do that. I like the Braves.

Heater
07-03-2007, 23:10
Hey everyone, my name is Jenni, and I'm new to the forums. :)

I am a 20 y/o college student in south Georgia. I'm planning on doing a southbound thru-hike of the AT when I graduate from Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College in maybe two years. It's all I can think of... I just got back from a 5-day vacation in the north GA mountains with my family and my boyfriend and I got to hike on several trails while there, including some of the AT at Neels Gap. It was very inspiring for me, and it was hard to turn back. I kept saying to my boyfriend, "just a little further, then we'll go", "just around that bend, then we'll turn around", etc.

Glad to be here! I'm going to soak up all the knowledge here in the long time I have before my thru.

Jenni

Pay no attention to my postings.

:welcome to WB. :D

Chaco Taco
07-03-2007, 23:31
Rock on. Good luck and enjoy the ride. Im in the same boat. Just waiting til March 09:welcome

Mr. Clean
07-04-2007, 09:45
I'm waiting for 2013 to do long sections till my currently 13 month old and 3 yr old boys are old enough for it, though by then they will be blowing by me.

mudhead
07-04-2007, 11:46
If you have the "I wonder what's down there?" mindset, it's all over. Enjoy.

Kerosene
07-04-2007, 13:02
The nice thing about starting to plan for a thru-hike two years from now is that you have the time to shake out your gear, figure out your hiking "rhythms", and get a sense for what it means to a linear walk with all your gear on your back. See if you can carve out a few week-long trips this year and next (or at least long weekends). You don't have to hike the AT on these trips, but it will be kind of cool to recognize sections you've done as you hike south in 2009.

There's a lot of info (and opinion) on WhiteBlaze. Spend some time to just scan topics of interest; learn how to use the Search functions; ask specific questions of the WB community; and identify a handful of people from their postings who seem to fit your style and might be willing to correspond with you on specific topics.

Welcome and enjoy!

TJ aka Teej
07-04-2007, 13:37
Hey everyone, my name is Jenni,
:welcome Jenni!
Be sure to check out the Southbounders forum here!

buckowens
07-04-2007, 13:41
Jenni, :welcome

I just did all of Georgia with my 9 year old daughter Roo beginning on the Approach Trail.

We got back about two weeks ago and I am now back to work and my "off trail" life. The trail is now all I can think of... Yes, it was a great experience to share with my daughter, but it was also a very, very simple life. We almost ran out of water one day as Georgia was dry. It really puts the other "big" concerns in your life in perspective pretty quickly :D . We also met some of the nicest people that I have probably ever met. It would seem that a shared experience that not everyone can do brings out some of the best folks.

I am constantly thinking of how to get back down to do some more. My daughter says she wants to do more, and my 6 year old son has shown interest as well. Life is good!

Welcome to the site, and I am sure you will learn a bunch just as I did. You will still make mistakes and make adjustments just like everyone else does, but it helps to read the experience of others.

Wonder
07-04-2007, 14:33
I had it in my brain for about a decade before I got out on the trail.....keep it alive in you and just get out there! Enjoy the ride....it'll change your life!

T-Dubs
07-04-2007, 17:29
Welcome and there isn't a better place to get a whole bunch of opinions on every aspect of hiking that trail. The articles are a great source of information.

Tom