PDA

View Full Version : Water situation near Pearisburg,VA

pkinnetz
07-04-2007, 10:49
How is the water situation just north of Pearisburg, VA, this dry summer season? Is the water source that is at the springs south of Rice Field Shelter reliable? Are there any other water sources between Pearisburg & VA635, Stony Creek other than the ones mentioned in the data book (that is, the one just north of Rice Field, and the one at Pine Swamp shelter)? I'm taking some new hikers, and want to keep their pack weight down, so don't want to overload on water, but also don't want to run low, either.

BlackCloud
07-05-2007, 10:54
Haven't been there since April but the ridge is quite dry. There is supposedly a reliable spring 1/2 mile+ DOWN from Spence Field shelter, but I never went down there. The spring north of that shelter could potentially run dry as it wasn't the strongest I've seen.....

trippclark
07-05-2007, 12:38
How is the water situation just north of Pearisburg, VA, this dry summer season? Is the water source that is at the springs south of Rice Field Shelter reliable? Are there any other water sources between Pearisburg & VA635, Stony Creek other than the ones mentioned in the data book (that is, the one just north of Rice Field, and the one at Pine Swamp shelter)? I'm taking some new hikers, and want to keep their pack weight down, so don't want to overload on water, but also don't want to run low, either.

I hiked from Pearisburg to Catawba the first week of June and lack of water was an issue. There were relatively long stetches without any good water sources. I only recall one published water source that was dry and that was at Sarver Hollow Shelter and the lack of water there forced us to go another 5 miles to water at the end of the day. For the most part, the listed water sources were present and were flowing, there just were long, hot stretches without any (mostly on ridges where limited water is often an issue).

This was a neat section though. Lots of good views. It was tougher than I had expected though, and the lack of water was a factor in this. I have more details in my online trail journal.

ASUGrad
07-06-2007, 14:20
We are getting spotty rain now. Some parts of Pearisburg got some rain yesterday. But I would say the water situation is very shaky right now.

veteran
07-06-2007, 14:33
Check this thread.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19955&highlight=Symms+Gap

GlazeDog
07-09-2007, 01:35
I hiked that section in summer of 2005---It felt very long and hot and thirsty. Out of the 500 miles I did in 2005, that stuck out as the thirsty section--no others came close. In hind sight, considering the section was of easy grade , I thought it would make an amazing night hike.

GlazeDog