PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Camping - Wyoming Style

Footslogger
07-04-2007, 13:31
Headed straight up to the mountains last night after work and hiked into the Medicine Bow. Only carried our bug bivies (and a tarp, just in case).

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17423&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

Was a beautiful night with so many starts you could hardly make out the various constellations. Woke up this morning and as the sun filled the meadow we go this shot of the moon getting ready to tuck behind the ridge.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17424&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

Doesn't get much better than this ...

'Slogger

Topcat
07-04-2007, 15:37
Your a lucky man...cant wait til i am in the same spot some day

squeeze
07-04-2007, 15:45
Awesome!!

Doesn't look like there are many bear bagging trees. Do you use a cannister?

Footslogger
07-04-2007, 17:38
Awesome!!

Doesn't look like there are many bear bagging trees. Do you use a cannister?

===============================

Funny you should ask ...cuz we talked about taking a cannister and then at the last minute we just said the heck with it and took a throw line. We have backpacked in this area recently and saw some rather fresh and plentiful bear patties so it probably wouldn't have been an all together bad idea. But, on the edge of the meadow there were some old lodge pole pines with a few bare branches about 20 feet or so off the ground so we got lucky.

'Slogger

iliketacos
07-04-2007, 18:35
looks like a great time.

Footslogger
07-04-2007, 20:39
looks like a great time.

================================

Only thing better would be if we were on a long distance hike ...but yeah, it was great !!

'Slogger

Cookerhiker
09-15-2009, 23:21
I'm now in Colorado but spent 2 nights and 3 days hiking in the Medicine Bow Mts last week and it was awesome! Sunny days and cold nights, beautiful alpine lakes and meadows, and little in the way of crowds. I base-camped and day hiked but one could put together a 2-3 day backpack in the high country. Some of the designated Forest Service campsites are in beautiful alpine settings but dispersed camping is allowed and is free.

There's some damage from the pine bark beetles but not as bad as Colorado.

Captain
09-16-2009, 03:26
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=36409&postid=12430#post12430

is there a snake i see there in the little shadow of the rock near the bottom itd be directly south of your left foot

sasquatch2014
09-16-2009, 06:18
Man seeing pics like this really makes me miss it out there. The day will come when I will be able to return. There is just something so magical about those Wyoming skies. At times at night it almost looks like a high thin cloud until you see that it is made up of stars.

I used to go up to fish on the Big Horns when I lived up in Sheridan and every once in a while I would fish myself right into dark. Not wanting to hike out at night and wanting to wet my line again in the AM I would just find a good spot and lay down for the night. made the old phrase from the song Hard ground was my bed last night, Rock was my pillow too, very real. Would get a bit chilly before dawn but man when you woke up in the AM you never felt more alive.