PDA

View Full Version : Best 3-5 Day Trip in South

sportscenter26
07-04-2007, 16:07
I have hiked from Hanover to Katahdin, and sections in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, but never down South. What are the best sections in Virginia, NC, etc.?

Cookerhiker
07-04-2007, 16:22
I have hiked from Hanover to Katahdin, and sections in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, but never down South. What are the best sections in Virginia, NC, etc.?

Of course it depends on your pace during those 3-5 days as well as time of year. Off the bat, I'd recommend:

Either half of the Smokies - Fontana to Newfound Gap or Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap. The first you cover the highest point on the AT Clingman's Dome and have some impressive views in other places like Thunderhead. The second finds you also over 6,000' in a few places and cool side trails to Charlie's Bunion and the Mt. Cammerer fire tower. If you're hiking in the summer, these stretches are the best to minimize hot weather. However, the views are better in the Fall.
Davenport Gap to Hot Springs - takes you over Max Patch and Snowbird
Erwin/Nolichucky River to Rt. 321/Hampton - takes you over Beauty Spot, Unaka Mountain, Roan Mountain, past Laurel Falls, and up Pond Flats. Although lesser elevations than the Smokies (except for Roan Mt.), probably more strenuous on the uphill side. A wonderful hike in the Spring when the flowers are profuse.
Damascus to VA Rt. 16 - takes you over Mt. Rogers, highest point in VA).You'll probably get some better advice from the southerners but I like these segments. Happy Trails!

sportscenter26
07-04-2007, 17:18
I've been told that the Grayson Highlands are nice, any suggestions?

Nearly Normal
07-04-2007, 18:47
Try the Foothills Trail.
Little to no people, no shelters, plenty of water, lots of waterfalls with the highest fall east of the Mississippi, and the Chattooga River section is the finest hike in the South including class 5 rapids.
Great guide and map availible.
76 plus miles of southern rain forest.
Best done in early spring when the leaves are still off.
Some difficult, mostly moderate to easy.
Shuttles easy to find.

Nearly Normal
aka pete56

Jack Tarlin
07-04-2007, 19:12
You've already heard about some great sections.

For short sections in the South my favorites would be Erwin TN to Rte. 19E;
Damascus to VA 16; Bland VA to Pearisburg VA; VA620 to US220 (Cloverdale/Daleville,VA); and US501 to VA 56 (The Tye River).

And if I only had time to do one of these, I'd go from Erwin to 19E.