PDA

View Full Version : Canned butter?

aaroniguana
07-04-2007, 16:47
Anyone tried this or know how long it lasts after opening?

http://www.internet-grocer.net/butter.htm

Grumpy Ol' Pops
07-04-2007, 17:06
I've used a butter bell at home for many years. It's a two-piece ceramic jar in which to store butter at room temperature. The butter is put into a hollow part of the top section, and it is then inverted and placed into the bottom section. A small amount of water is placed into the bottom section to form an air-tight seal that retards spoilage. It's the oxygen affecting the butter that causes spoilage! Butter usually lasts at least a week or two in my kitchen this way and is always soft enough to spread easily. When the bell needs refilling, I wash the two sections thoroughly and start over again.

I would assume that, if this type of canned butter has a resealable lid available, the butter could last indefinitely if it was water-sealed, and stored upside down. Be sure to change the water weekly!
If you ever see mold beginning to grow, wash the bell thoroughly and try a pinch of salt in the water, or change brands of butter.

oldbear
07-04-2007, 17:24
It's clarified butter or what is called Ghee on the Indian sub-continennt. The portion size of 12 oz reveals that. A twenty five per cent loss of product is the culinary standard that is used when making clariifed butter from whole butter .They started w/ 16 oz. lost 25% and wound up with 12oz.
It's fairly easy to make and safe to store unrefrigerated. As with all butters it will pick up off -flavors easily so care must be taken to prevent that from happening.

aaroniguana
07-04-2007, 17:45
Thank you gentlemen. The internet store that sells it does offer plastic resealing lids. I thought this might be tastier than olive oil and will try it this fall.

PJ 2005
07-04-2007, 18:34
Imported canned butter will definitely turn some heads ;)

Topcat
07-04-2007, 20:28
Backpacking Magazine has a good article this month on making and cooking with ghee. I am experimenting with it at home and plan on having it my next trip with some pancakes

Fiddleback
07-05-2007, 11:43
I'm not sayin' it doesn't happen...I just haven't seen it. Has anyone experienced 'spoiled' butter? What were the circumstances?

In my household, the container of whipped butter is never refrigerated once it's opened and sits on the counter for the two to three weeks it takes to consume it (house temps range from mid-50s to mid-70s this time of year). I remember my grandparents kept their butter stick on the counter as well, in a typical butter dish.

Perhaps it's not time that causes a perceived spoilage problem as much as exposure to 'bugs'...butter kept in containers are kept safe from flys and such. After all, butter has been around much longer than refrigeration and I doubt the 'oldtime' butter was made from pasturized cream like today's.

In any case, my butter is never refrigerated...makes it too hard to spread.:-?

FB

Appalachian Tater
07-05-2007, 12:23
The butter the OP linked to is NOT ghee, it's just canned butter.

Fiddleback
07-05-2007, 18:57
The butter the OP linked to is NOT ghee, it's just canned butter.

...and I note that the author of the referenced url doesn't refrigerate his butter either...

FB

Appalachian Tater
07-05-2007, 19:12
For long-term storage, it is better to keep butter in an air-tight container in the freezer, where it will stay fresh for several months. In the refrigerator or on the counter, the temperature will affect how long it will be edible. Keeping it safe from odors is important.

tallfran
07-06-2007, 10:10
I haven't tried this canned butter, but way back when while I was in nursing school, a friend of mine received commodity foods, and butter was one of the things they received. They gave a lot to me, because they didn't use nearly the amount they received. It was a real treat for a starving college student!

Farr Away
07-06-2007, 23:29
My parents always kept butter in an open dish on the counter. We never had a problem with spoiled butter, but it was used up within a week or so, I think.

I also keep my butter in a butter dish (but with lid) on the counter. I've never had it spoil, and I don't use it up nearly as fast - a month is typical. Oh, and my house is usually in the high seventies this time of year.

Your mileage may vary.

Smudge
07-07-2007, 02:21
My mom still keeps the butter on the counter in a covered butter tray most of the time. I made it though 18 years at home with no ill effects.... I think:D

katagious
07-07-2007, 07:33
I'm not sayin' it doesn't happen...I just haven't seen it. Has anyone experienced 'spoiled' butter? What were the circumstances?

FB
Butter doesn't really "spoil", it becomes bitter or rancid. Have you ever heard the diddle about "a bit of better butter not bitter butter"?
At any rate, I would think on the trail Ghee would be a much better choice because it's basicly butter minus the extra water and oil. Note, I did not say "fat" as the dairy portion of the butter remains. Also, you'll want a tight container as even then it will melt and become a runny mess. I suppose you could set it in cold spring water while preparing your meal so that it thickens up enough to ...spread it... Although pouring your butter would be less labor intensive..
*snicker*

orangebug
07-07-2007, 09:04
Ghee is great as a fat source. I like olive oil better, personally.

This thread is another indication that more of us are finding that local ethnic grocery stores are excellent sources for supply.

2caninesandme
07-07-2007, 09:18
I have seen canned butter at large grocery stores in Chinatown.

Topcat
07-07-2007, 09:25
I used to live in the Domincan Republic in a town on the border of Haitii and i have seen butter go rancid while sitting out for too long at the local general store. We actually ate shortening for butter there more often. Amazing what you can get used to.

Just Jeff
07-07-2007, 09:32
Why is this better than squirt butter or margarine?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-07-2007, 09:36
I have real salted butter out on the table, but it doesn't last a week with all the homemade biscuits and such that frequent the table. I have melted both real butter and margerine, poured it in a bottle and carried it on hikes without any problem. It never got rancid. I use olive oil these days as our docs want us to cut the saturated fats and transfats from the dino diet.

Fiddleback
07-07-2007, 09:43
[quote=Topcat;378186We actually ate shortening for butter there more often. Amazing what you can get used to.[/quote]

I have a friend whose German mother fixed her lard sandwiches for school. I myself found lard (with bacon/ham bits) sitting on a restaurant table in Germany...just as we would find butter pats here.

Spread on some dark bread and salted down it was quite yummy. Of course, I'm on cholesterol medication now...:D

FB

Just Jeff
07-07-2007, 09:48
I have real salted butter out on the table, but it doesn't last a week with all the homemade biscuits and such that frequent the table.

I'm coming to your house...

I myself found lard (with bacon/ham bits) sitting on a restaurant table in Germany...just as we would find butter pats here.

I had some of that and thought it was...edible, not much more. I just dipped my bread in my soup. That's the one thing I always miss when I spend any length of time in Europe - soft bread with butter. And pizza with thick crust.

Heater
07-07-2007, 10:25
Why is this better than squirt butter or margarine?

Transfats...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-07-2007, 12:56
I have real salted butter out on the table, but it doesn't last a week with all the homemade biscuits and such that frequent the table.
I'm coming to your house...::: Dino seen FedEx'ing biscuits to JJ :::