PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my first section hike starting in HF

dannoo1985
07-04-2007, 17:10
Hi Guys-

I've been reading this board for awhile now and its been increadibly useful in helping me plan for my first section hike. I have never been on the AT before but I did work on a trail crew for the past two summers so I have plenty of backpacking experience but have never been on the trail for more than 9 days at a time.

I will be arriving at Harper's Ferry in 2 weeks from a 15 hour train ride. The train is scheduled to stop at 11:45 so I could hike maybe five hours after I get some lunch. Where would you recommend I camp for that night? Is it a better idea to stay in town that night or hit a shelter/campsite?

Also, I will be leaving the trail on August 18th. Where would you expect someone to have traveled at that point if they started on July 15th?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jack Tarlin
07-04-2007, 18:32
You didn't say which way you were going, but my guess is North.

One good place to stay would be the relatively new Ed Garvey shelter, just under six and a half miles north of Harpers.

It takes most folks between 2-3 days to hike Maryland, and 15-18 days for Pennsylvania. New Jersey and New York take most folks 5-6 days each. Assuming you have about 35 days for your trip, my guess is you'll finish somewhere in central or northern Massachusetts. Dalton would be a good place as there are several friendly locals who take in hikers.....you could get a good clean-up, and perhaps a ride to the bus or Amtrak station so you could get home.

Have a great trip,and if you've any more questions, keep 'em coming.

Jack Tarlin
07-04-2007, 18:39
P.S.

I forgot to mention that beforeyou hit the Trail, you should definitely visit the Outfitter in Harpers Ferry; it's a great shop and is about a three minute walk from the Train station. Also, the main office of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy is less than a ten minute walk as well, is a cool place to visit, and has all sorts of A.T. related merchandise, internet access, maps and guidebooks if you need 'em, etc. Harpers Ferry is also a cool place to walk around, especially if you have any interest in American History. So you might not want to hit the Trail immediately. (And if you're gonna overnight, your best bet is probably the Comfort Inn; the youth hostel a few miles North of Harpers is good if you're on a budget. For more details, I suggest you pick up a copy of the 2007 Thru Hikers Companion or The Thru-Hikers Handbook. You can check out the On-Line edition of the Companion at www.aldha.org)

dannoo1985
07-04-2007, 18:50
Wow, thanks for the quick response, 6.5 miles to the Ed Garvey shelter sounds like a perfect distance. (you were right about traveling north)

I have a few more questions about sleeping. I see a lot of people recommending a 35* bag during the summer. Does this mean I will be miserable in my old northface 20* bag? Also, I plan to carry a 4 pound tent to sleep as I'm not yet comfortable with the tarping idea. Will i be able to set it up around most shelters? How does that aspect work?

Thanks again for your help.

Jack Tarlin
07-04-2007, 19:00
You sure won't need a 20 degree bag in Maryland, PA, NY and NY in July and August! Even the 35 will be more than you need. Most hikers doing these sections at that time of year use a lightweight summer bag (there are all sorts available for less than 80 bucks); many others simply use a small fleece blanket, which you can get for under $20. If you do this, tho, keep it dry!

Your tent will do fine. Most, in fact nearly all shelters have good camping spots immediately adjacent to the shelter, or often, just North on the Trail a short distance. There are also all sorts of places you can tent.....you don't have to stay at shelters unless you want to. My guess is some nights you'll want company, but other times you won't.

One last item.....it'll be REALLY hot in Maryland in a few weeks. Bring plenty of water with you from Harpers as you'll have a good solid climb up Weverton Cliff. And the water source at Garvey shelter has been known to go dry on occasion, so make sure you check with the ATC office before you leave town and see if they know anything....you don't wanna get there at the end of the day and discover it has gone dry.

Programbo
07-04-2007, 22:31
Jack has given you lots of good advice especially about the heat..Even though this area is called the "mountains" it is low ridges and is very muggy and humid especially at the time of year you are going...If for some reason the spring at the Ed Garvey shelter is dry it`s only a fairly level 4 miles up to the Crampton Gap shelter which has a pretty steady flowing spring..Since the first 3 miles from Harpers Ferry east are on the C&O Canal towpath which is basically a flat dirt road you`ll cover that in like an hour and since it stays light untill 8:30PM that leaves lots of time to make either shelter even arriving at lunch time.....BUT...As someone who`s traveled a lot I`m not sure you`ll want to walk off a train after a 15 hour ride and start up the trail...If it was 2 hours ok but 15 hours on anything wears you out and you may wish to spend that first day in Harpers Ferry just getting oriented..Besides there is Sooooooo much to see there why leave so quickly?

Tin Man
07-04-2007, 22:50
Water can be a problem through NJ, NY and CT in the Summer and early Fall. Here in CT we have had little rain lately, except this evening, so the water sources are probably low already. When it is really dry, I have heard stories that trail magic may include jugs of water just off road crossings - look for these as an opportunity to help yourself and a sign that the trail sources are dry. Also, carry reserves and top off whenever you have the opportunity because you may not see water for awhile.

dannoo1985
07-05-2007, 16:20
Thanks for all the great replies. Thanks for the notes about water. I was expecting to carry about 4.5 liters of water when I go hiking. 2.5 liter platypus and 2 nalgenes. Would you recommend I care another water canister for the dry sections? Also, would a 50* bag be adequate for the weather I am likely to face.

Thanks for all the help

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2007, 16:26
4.5 liters is around 9 pounds of water....that's a lot, and is a lot more than most folks carry. In most cases, you won't need more than 1-2 liters at a time, unless you KNOW, or have reason to believe that a campsite or stretch is likely to be bone dry.

A 45 to 50 degree bag will be fine in the mid-Atlantic states.

dannoo1985
07-05-2007, 16:31
Your probably right about carrying too much water. I need to stop thinking like I'm going to be carrying 90 pounds of gear 5-7 miles and think about doing 40 pounds for 15 everyday. This whole going lite movement is completely new to me. Thanks again for the help, I'll buy my bag now.

OHBob
07-05-2007, 16:38
One quick bit of advice about the arrival time. My son and I were scheduled to arrive at 11:45 a.m. also, but didn't get off the train until almost 3:30 p.m. Our ride was supposed to be 15 hours also, but turned into more. I'd suggest that if that happens, wait a day to start your hike. Unless you're in a sleeper, you probably won't get all that much rest, and you could start your hike already tired. My son and I tried that, and regretted that we didn't just hang around Harper's Ferry the rest of the day and began an early morning start. My guess is, we would have been at about the same mileage in two or three days.

And the advice to stop at the Outfitter and the ATC is good also. Glad we did, though we didn't get to spend much time there since were were in a hurry to get on the trail because the train was so late.

I guess what I'm trying to say is make two sets of plans: 1 if you get there on time, 2 if the Amtrak is late, as it often is.

Programbo
07-05-2007, 17:44
Also, would a 50* bag be adequate for the weather I am likely to face.

I wouldn`t carry a bag at all..Just some sort of light covering will work...One of those older style Army "poncho liners" mentioned in other threads would be great

Tin Man
07-05-2007, 17:58
Great advice as usual from Jack. Nine pounds of anything except food is too much. I guess my point is be prepared for water shortages through NJ, NY and CT, because there is more of a history of water shortages than the rest of the trail. Top off when you can, watch for the signs such as dry creeks and water bottles at road crossings and always ask about water ahead of you. Stay hydrated.