PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded 'blue blaze' question...

T-Dubs
07-04-2007, 17:39
I am planning to hike the entire trail but in 3 long section hikes without a real time limit. I'm recently retired and think wandering that path sounds like a beautiful way to spend some time.

A few months ago there was some talk about the best 'blue' trails along the AT. A member (RAT) informed me that this information was available at one time on another site (hobocentral.com) of which I have no knowledge. Is there a source out there for those side trails that might appeal to a specific interest? I'd take a trail off the AT to see any scenic overlook, interesting geological formation or old-growth forest.

Where does one go to find specific information on this subject?

Thanks,
Tom

shelterbuilder
07-04-2007, 18:15
I am planning to hike the entire trail but in 3 long section hikes without a real time limit. I'm recently retired and think wandering that path sounds like a beautiful way to spend some time.
A few months ago there was some talk about the best 'blue' trails along the AT. A member (RAT) informed me that this information was available at one time on another site (hobocentral.com) of which I have no knowledge. Is there a source out there for those side trails that might appeal to a specific interest? I'd take a trail off the AT to see any scenic overlook, interesting geological formation or old-growth forest.
Thanks,
Tom

I would think that some of that information would be in the guidebooks for the AT. But I don't know if anyone has ever taken the time to pull ALL of it together into one source. Try asking someone at ATC in Harper's Ferry. It should also be in the NPS features inventory, and may be available on CD if you connect with the right person in Harper's Ferry. (NPS/ATC use that data for making their "5-year plans" and such.)

emerald
07-04-2007, 18:49

I suggest you start a thread on WhiteBlaze.;) :-? Maybe you just did.

I once threatened to start a thread on that subject, but didn't follow through. I look forward to any replies to your question and will see if I can contribute some myself when I have more time.

boarstone
07-04-2007, 21:10
If it was me--I'd take'em all just to see what they were all about..I don't think you'd be disappointed and you may not pass that way again and you'll want to experience it all.:banana

napster
07-04-2007, 23:52
Im Just A Section Hiker TOO, Hiked From Ga To Va And I Travel Most All Blue Blazes And Dont Regreat Any . The Sites Are Beautiful.Go With Your Heart.IF YA GOT DA TIME TAKE EM ALL . YOU WILL KNOW WHAT IS A BECON AT YE HEART AND SO RUN WITH IT. , YA MAY NEVER GET THIS OPPERTUNITY AGAIN.

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2007, 00:22
Speaking of Blue Blazes, I just spent a week in Shenandoah National Park and ended up doing quite a bit of walking on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I got to see all sorts of things I'd never seen before, as well as some spectacular views (there are more Overlooks with great views on the road than one can possibly count; if scenic views are your thing, you'll probably see more of them by roadwalking the Park than you would if you stayed on the Trail!)

I like your plans, Tom. Go where you want, see what you want, hike where you want. There are all sorts of beautiful places VERY close to the A.T., all sorts of great Trails, views, waterfalls, swimming holes, you name it.....that most folks never ever see. If you want to do some side Trails or roads in addition to the Whiteblazed trail....or INSTEAD of theWhiteblazed trail, well more power to you.

Have a great time!

Lone Wolf
07-05-2007, 03:51
Speaking of Blue Blazes, I just spent a week in Shenandoah National Park and ended up doing quite a bit of walking on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I got to see all sorts of things I'd never seen before, as well as some spectacular views (there are more Overlooks with great views on the road than one can possibly count; if scenic views are your thing, you'll probably see more of them by roadwalking the Park than you would if you stayed on the Trail!)

I like your plans, Tom. Go where you want, see what you want, hike where you want. There are all sorts of beautiful places VERY close to the A.T., all sorts of great Trails, views, waterfalls, swimming holes, you name it.....that most folks never ever see. If you want to do some side Trails or roads in addition to the Whiteblazed trail....or INSTEAD of theWhiteblazed trail, well more power to you.

Have a great time!

i've been doing this for over 20 years on the trail. oh, and you walked on skyline drive in SNP no the BRP

superman
07-05-2007, 08:33
When I hiked the AT all I did was try to get my daily mileage in. I didn't look at the cool stuff along the way. When Pat from Maine and I started to re-visit the AT we re-hiked sections and saw tons of stuff that I'd just walked by. Going back to the AT is like going to visit an old friend. It's also like re-watching a good movie in that you can see something you missed the time before.
Some of the people who I was hiking with that did the math concluded that they couldn't finish by hiking straight up to Katahdin so they either quit or they flip flopped. I didn't do the math so I summated Katahdin on 7 Oct. It's your hike to hike your way...have the best hike that you can...its all good.

PS when you finish your hike remember to cut back on your thru-hiker appetite and the pain in your feet will most likely pass.

Skyline
07-05-2007, 09:46
Blue-blazed trails, including many that connect with the AT, are sometimes more visually interesting and have more history and natural features than does the AT which more often than not stays close to ridgelines.

When I decided to do the whole AT, I wanted to do just that and was careful to stick to the white blazes. It was a great experience, with lots of viewpoints. But now that's done and I seek out alternatives that can involve both the AT and blue blazed trails for loop hikes. So far, this seems like a good decision . . . more variety, usually more solitude, and there's always the excitement of hiking someplace new.

Lone Wolf
07-05-2007, 09:51
Blue-blazed trails, including many that connect with the AT, are sometimes more visually interesting and have more history and natural features than does the AT which more often than not stays close to ridgelines.

I learned that on my first "thru hike" by the time I got to Hot Springs back in 86. My blue-blaze career began then. I have a Master's degree in blueblazology

sherrill
07-05-2007, 11:38
I thrued in '83 between semesters in college (skipped spring to hike). Finished in a little under 4 1/2 months hiking with two buddies from summer camp. It became sort of a competition to get in big miles at the end, as well as we were young and impatient to (ahem) "git 'er done".

Since then I've blueblazed my ass off and have enjoyed it immensely. I wouldn't take back my thru experience for anything, but I've enjoyed my later hikes in different and much more special way.

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2007, 12:17
Lone Wolf is absolutely right. The Blue Ridge Parkway ends at RockfishGap, near Waynesboro. The roadwalk in Shenandoah National Park is indeed the Skyline Drive and it's a completely separate entity from the BRP.

P.S. People planning to blue-blaze or take side trails in SNP should ask at Visitor Centers and Campgrounds in the Park, esp. places like Skyland. They have detailed maps there showing all sorts of side trails, waterfalls, etc., and you're probably NOT going to find these maps anywhere else.

tlbj6142
07-05-2007, 14:25
Where does one go to find specific information on this subject?2 I have done both in ME are mentioned in this old trip report. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5754)
Mt. Abraham's <-- this was really nice the day I was up there.
Sugarloaf Hut -- if the weather is great, you can see Mt. K and Mt. W at the same time. Optionally hiking down the ski slopes to get a nice deli sandwich at the bottom is a bit rough on the knees.And here's an old thread on the same subject. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

Skyline
07-05-2007, 15:16
Lone Wolf is absolutely right. The Blue Ridge Parkway ends at RockfishGap, near Waynesboro. The roadwalk in Shenandoah National Park is indeed the Skyline Drive and it's a completely separate entity from the BRP.

P.S. People planning to blue-blaze or take side trails in SNP should ask at Visitor Centers and Campgrounds in the Park, esp. places like Skyland. They have detailed maps there showing all sorts of side trails, waterfalls, etc., and you're probably NOT going to find these maps anywhere else.

Slight change of subject.

South of SNP, I know you were hoping to blue-blaze Crabtree Falls and visit one of the campgrounds on VA56. Hope you got to do that; the Falls are amazing during a wet season (which we haven't had unfortunately). I haven't been to Crabtree for about three years, but hope the campsite advice I provided last winter is still valid.