PDA

View Full Version : Gassifier wood stove

Fenrir
07-05-2007, 01:02
Has anyone here used a downdraft gassifier stove (Bushbuddy, Risk's, etc) on a thru hike? I'm considering a light wood-burning stove maybe in conjuction with a light alcohol stove for a backup when I can't/don't want to find dry sticks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2007, 01:14
Lots of folks have successfully used wood-burning stoves on the A.T.
A few things to be aware of: They're not permitted in some places on the Trail as they're considered "open fires". And there will be times when finding dry tinder or fuel will be difficult. And lastly, they're a bit slow; most of these stoves take at least 8-10 minutes or more to boil a quart of water, tho in truth, you usually won't be needing to boil this much, so your actual "cook time" will likely be faster.

Fenrir
07-05-2007, 02:22
I've heard a little bit about people using wood stoves, but never specifically a gassifier type, but its good to know that its been done with the regular type.

zelph
07-05-2007, 11:22
I've heard a little bit about people using wood stoves, but never specifically a gassifier type, but its good to know that its been done with the regular type.

All wood stoves are "gassifiers". When you start your fire with matches, the heat from the match gassifies the tinder and the tinder ignites. Once the tinder is burning it heats the small twigs to a point of being gassified which in turn ignites. The burning twigs in turn heat up the larger finger size twigs and it goes on and on.

Be sure to practice your fire making skills before puchasing your gassifier stove. Do your homework, learn all about the woodburners that are available out there, commercial and do-it-yourself.

Use an alcohol stove as a backup. Ask Skidsteer to make you one of his updated Turbo Tea-Lite II (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=377612#post377612)

Fenrir
07-05-2007, 19:49
Good to know about the gassifer thing, I guess I should have been more specific and said down-draft gassifier. If I end up taking one, I'm more interested in a DIY that a commercial one, can you recommend a good/light DIY stove? Thanks

zelph
07-05-2007, 22:01
Good to know about the gassifer thing, I guess I should have been more specific and said down-draft gassifier. If I end up taking one, I'm more interested in a DIY that a commercial one, can you recommend a good/light DIY stove? Thanks

Here is one that is working out ok.

Wood Burner (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25589)

Here is another but a little more difficult.

Wood burner (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20680)

Fenrir
07-06-2007, 17:23
Wow, I vaugley remember seeing the martha stewart thing before(been lurking for a long time), didn't know it was yours, it looks like what I had in mind! I think its time for a trip to k-mart! Thanks :-?

Fenrir
07-10-2007, 19:44
OK, so does anyone know of any specific data or antecdotal data regarding a regular wood stove (single wall) versus a downdraft gassifier? :confused: Anything at all would be greatly appreciated, at this point I'm torn between the two

Skidsteer
07-10-2007, 19:53
OK, so does anyone know of any specific data or antecdotal data regarding a regular wood stove (single wall) versus a downdraft gassifier? :confused: Anything at all would be greatly appreciated, at this point I'm torn between the two

The best course is to build one of each and decide for yourself.;)