PDA

View Full Version : Erwin to Damascus

Wendell
07-05-2007, 11:24
I am planning a hike between Erwin TN and Damascus VA, about 120 miles. I am planning 10 days to complete. I am not sure if I should pack enough food and eat light for those days or stop and resupply along the way. Any suggestions and where should I resupply? Thanks...

Lone Wolf
07-05-2007, 11:26
Stay at Kincora hostel at Dennis Cove or Braemer Castle in Hampton and resupply for the final 50 miles

Lone Wolf
07-05-2007, 11:33
Stay at Kincora hostel at Dennis Cove or Braemer Castle in Hampton and resupply for the final 50 miles

the owner of kincora gives a huttle to a store. the Castle has a store a short walk away.

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2007, 11:35
1. You don't want to carry 10 days of food ANYWHERE. It takes up too
much space in your pack and weighs too much.

2. There is effectively no (or very poor) resupply between Erwin and Sam's
Gap. So leave Erwin with 4-5 days worth off food at least.

3. Some hikers re-supply in Roan Mountain or Elk Park. I never do this, as
the hitching is difficult and the re-supply (i.e the stores) isn't that
great.

4. Assuming it's open when you're hiking (and it very seldom closes), I
suggest you bring 5-6 days from Erwin, and then go to Kincora Hiking
Hostel in Dennis Cove TN (.2 miles off the Trail). Bob or Pat Peoples
will happily shuttle you to a market where you can get resupplied for the
50-mile stretch to Damascus, which will in all likelihood take you 3 days.

5. Another option other than Kincora is Hampton TN where there is a
good hostel (The Braemar Castle) and a small supermarket.

6. There are some extended articles on lodging and re-supply if you go to
the "Articles" section of this website. Many section and long-distance
hikers have found these articles useful.

John B
07-05-2007, 12:38
I did that exact section this May. I started at Uncle Johnny's and mailed a resupply box to Kincora.

10 days is more than enough time for you. It's a nice section, although I thought that the climb up Roan was the most exhausting of any other section that I've done from Amicalola to Damascus.

I'd ask about for information on water availability. I tented at Roan Mt. shelter and there was no water.

Enjoy the hike.

Jaybird
07-05-2007, 13:06
I am planning a hike between Erwin TN and Damascus VA, about 120 miles. I am planning 10 days to complete. I am not sure if I should pack enough food and eat light for those days or stop and resupply along the way. Any suggestions and where should I resupply? Thanks...

Yo Wendell

this is one of the prettiest stretches of trail in the South...take 5 or 6 days food supply...then re-supply in Hampton (Kincora or Braemers Castle).
Kincora is a must see & stay. Bob & Pat (Peoples) are the BEST!:D

Wendell
07-05-2007, 13:34
John,

How was the climb out of the Nolichucky River Gorge. From what I am reading that is the most difficult climb....but this trail effects everyone in different ways! I thought the most difficult climb between Amicalola and Davenport Gap was Kelly &^()#$^ Knob! How long did this trip take you?

Thanks...

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2007, 13:54
The climb out of Erwin Northbound isn't that big a deal.....heading South out of Erwin is much worse. The two biggest climbs on this stretch are the long slog up Roan Mt. and Big Bald coming out of Sam's Gap.

John B
07-05-2007, 13:59
It took me 8 days. I did the climb up Roan Mt. at the end of a 15 mile day, so perhaps that's the main reason it was so damned hard. But I was low on water and that didn't help, either. It took me 3 hrs. to hike the 3 miles up Roan from Hughs Gap. I've never been so tired in my life after that.

I stopped at Ash Gap (?), which is about the only flat section going up Roan that was supposed to have water. I followed a long blue-blaze down to the spring but didn't find water there. I heard later that there was another spring below that with water.

Personally I liked Unaka Mt. the best, but the balds just north of Carver Gap are outstanding, and the Hump Mts are also great.

Everyone is right about Kincora -- it's a great hostel with laundry and shower facilities.

Damascus is a great town and the people at Mt. Rogers Outfitters are nice people. You can get a shower at a hostel (Dave's Place?) that's right across the street for a nominal fee.

If you'd like to read my trip report, send me a PM and I'll email it.

I hiked up Nolichucky to Fontana last summer in 90 degree heat. That was really hard, too, but for whatever reason Roan Mt. was the hardest thus far.

John B
07-05-2007, 14:09
Well I can't read. Sorry. I thought you meant NOC. Jack Tarlin is right -- the climb out of Erwin isn't bad at all. I tented at Cherry Gap the first night out of Erwin, which was about 16 miles. I'll shut up now. Enjoy the hike.

Johnny Swank
07-05-2007, 14:35
The climb out of Erwin Northbound isn't that big a deal.....heading South out of Erwin is much worse. The two biggest climbs on this stretch are the long slog up Roan Mt. and Big Bald coming out of Sam's Gap.

Heading southbound in 2 weeks for that stretch. If memory serves, that slog out of Erwin was a real pain. Cool area though.

Papaw John
07-05-2007, 17:12
Hey!!!

From what I hear from my old East Tenn hiking buddy, you should be careful about water. Seems the 2nd worst drought on record has settled over my friends garden. During the WORST drought (about 20yrs ago), he and I had to carry like 8 liters of water each from a spring at the base of (if memory serves) Albert Mtn because we had to plan on up to 2 days of dry trail. I still recall how those packstaps burned that day!!!

Papaw John

Johnny Swank
07-05-2007, 18:20
That's what we're afraid of. We prepared to do it if need be, but I'm hoping for some gully washers in the next couple of weeks. Anybody have any up to date 411 on the water situation in that area?

karo
07-05-2007, 21:51
Roan Mt High Shelter was dry two weeks ago, Water at Carver's Gap and the restroom at Cloudlands so ok there. Water seeps along the trail past Grassy Ridge and several other places along the trail. Remember to camel up when you do find H2O.

bigcranky
07-06-2007, 08:33
If you start art Erwin, you won't have to do the climb out of Sam's Gap -- that's 25 miles *south*, so don't let Jack scare you <grin>.

The climb northbound out of Erwin is long, but well-graded. There's a good campsite at Beauty Spot at the top of the climb, out in the open (though it is close to a road and parking area). Get water on the way up.

The biggest climb is up Roan, pretty steep and long, but my worst was the climb just north of Kincora -- Pond Flats? It's almost vertical at the top. If you stay at Kincora (highly recommended), Bob will shuttle you over to US321 and you can hike southbound back to the hostel and stay a second night (also recommended). Then he'll drop you off at 321 the next morning, and you can continue to Damascus.

This is a great section, enjoy.