PDA

View Full Version : Ground cloth Eureka Spitfire?

Bruce Hudson
07-05-2007, 16:06
I recently completed my first experience on the AT-- Damascus to Eriwn. It was a great trip and I'm about to head out to hike from Damascus to I-81.

I carried an Eureka Pinnacle Pass 2XTA tent weighing in at 6 lbs., and of course I returned from the trial interested reducing the weight of the pack. For what appears to be the best value I can cut that weight in half with an Eureka Spitfire. But of course they achieve that weigh loss with extremely fragile feeling materials.

My question is whether anybody has had experience with either this or a comparable tent and whether or not it is necessary to use a ground cloth with this fragile a floor. (I don't use one with the Pinnacle.) Also, I use the tent. In general I prefer it to the shelters.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Bruce Hudson
[email protected]
Raleigh, NC

Toolshed
07-05-2007, 16:29
As a Eureka tent owner for several decades (of a number of Eureka and Jack Wolfskin Tents) , I'd say the difference in quality is indistinguishable. The weight savings is in the freestanding versus nonfreestanding design (Pole weight) and the tent size (material needed to make it.)

The Spitfire and Pinnacle Pass are both made from almost identical materials -
There is 50% more PU Coating on the Spitfire, but the nylon mesh is 10 deniers lighter. I'd rather have the extra PU and less mesh if I had a choice.
Otherwise they are both made quick similarly in terms of quality: I would always use a groundcloth under my tents. Others will argue against, but it is nice to hose mud and smooshed slugs off an old sheet of plastic than the bottom of my new tent. It also helps against abrasion from sharp sticks , bits of rock and other organic nature.

Pinnacle Pass
Floor Material 1.9 oz. 70D Nylon taffeta 800mm coating
Fly Material 1.9 oz. 75D 185T StormShield Polyester 800mm coating
Wall Material 1.9 oz. 70D nylon taffeta 800mm coating/no-see-um mesh
Roof Material 50D polyester no-see-um mesh
Netting 50D polyester no-see-um mesh

Spitfire
Floor Material 1.9 oz. 70D nylon taffeta w/1200mm coating
Fly Material 1.9 oz. 75D Stormshield Polyester w/1200mm coating
Wall Material 1.9 oz. Nylon taffeta w/1200mm coating
Roof Material 40D Nylon no-see-um mesh
Netting 40D Nylon no-see-um mesh

You won't notice the difference between the tent construction, though......

troglobil
07-05-2007, 17:20
I use ground cloth for alll my tents. It may or may not be needed, but I would rather put the abuse on a cheap peice of tyvek than my tent floor. It also doubles as a sit pad for breaks on wet days.

Bruce Hudson
07-05-2007, 23:40
Toolshed, that is truly amazing. The Spitfire arrived today. The Pinnacle Pass is on it's way to Calf. with my wife so I couldn't compare them directly. However I set the Spitfire up in the house to see how well I would fit (I'm 6ft. 1 in.), and the floor felt so delicate I was afraid I would tear it just getting in and out in my house. Thanks for the facts.

Bruce

Bruce Hudson
07-05-2007, 23:41
Any recommendations for a cheaper alternative for a ground cloth besides what is sold by REI and other outfitters?

Bruce

taildragger
07-06-2007, 09:11
A peice of tyvek, you just will have to modify it for quick fly setups

Toolshed
07-06-2007, 09:49
you can get a 25' long roll of 10' wide 4mil plastic from Walmart and it will last you the rest of your life for about $4.00 roll off a piece that is 3 feet wide, cut it and unfold it so it is 10' long and 3' wide. Set up your tent over the plastic and trim the excess so it is just slghtly smaller than your tent floor (leaving about 1" of the tent floor unprotected) and you are good to go.

I find a sheet of 4 mil lasts about 25 trips or so, including keeping tears intact with bits of duct tape.

Toolshed
07-06-2007, 09:54
Bruce,
You mentioned the Spitfire, did you mean the Spitfire UL (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39196318&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1).

This is much lighter material. I had one but returned it as it was too small for me.

Spitfire UL
Floor Material 1.1oz. 30D ripstop sil/nylon 1500mm coating
Fly Material 1.1 oz. 30D ripstop sil/poly 1500mm coating
Wall Material 1.1 oz. 30D ripstop sil/poly 1500mm coating
Roof Material 20D Nylon no-see-um mesh
Netting 20D Nylon no-see-um mesh

Bruce Hudson
07-06-2007, 15:49
Toolshed, No, Campmor has the plain Spitfire for $90 verses $170 for the five ounce lighter UL. I'm 6ft. 1in. and about 215 lbs which means I'm still trying to decide if I fit in the Spitfire. REI had a North Face Solo 12 tent for 150 which I is on backorder for me. I'm hoping I can try both of them before heading back to the AT. I'll head out to WalMart this afternoon. thanks.

Bruce

TJ aka Teej
07-06-2007, 16:42
I have the regular Spitfire, only 33 nights in it though. I use clear painter's plastic drops, cut to fit, about 2 or 3 dollars or so for enough for almost ever at Home Depot.