PDA

View Full Version : New 2007 "Thru-hiker alert" from Baxter State Park

TJ aka Teej
07-05-2007, 19:01
Jean Hoekwater of Baxter State Park has just sent this updated version along:

KATAHDIN THRU HIKER ALERT!

What You Need to Know for Your Entry into Baxter State Park
Overnight Camping
Until October 15th - At BSP’s Long Distance Hikers site, “The Birches” near Katahdin Stream Campground: Visitors hiking at least 100 continuous miles and arriving at Baxter State Park without reservations may stay at “The Birches” site (limited to one night stay), which has a capacity of no more than 12 (two 4-person lean-tos and one tent platform). Standard per person, park-wide fee applies (2007 prices: $9/person). Large groups or commercial entities will not use the Birches, but will use their advance knowledge of trip itineraries to work with the BSP reservation system.

At Katahdin Stream Campground – There are no Thru-Hiker designated sites, but you may check with any ranger you see for availability of a regular public site (2007 prices: $9/person with an $18 site minimum). Availability is least likely in August and on fall weekends, most likely mid-week after Labor Day.

Phone-in, Credit Card Reservations: for regular campground sites (not the Birches), 14 or fewer days before the desired date, can be made using credit cards over the phone—call Park Headquarters at (207) 723-5140. However, as has always been the case, ranger stations inside the Park do not accept credit cards. The Park does not allow “work for fee” camping or other discounts. Please take care of all your food, supply and payment needs before entering.

After October 15th - There is NO overnight camping ANYWHERE within the Park so you will need to: Camp at the private Abol Bridge Campground OR the Maine DOC Abol Pines Campsite just downriver of Abol Bridge. Both charge fees. There are no other options for authorized overnight camping near the trail after October 15. Your hike to the summit is thus 15 miles (one way) from this area outside the Park. Most late hikers end up staying in a motel in Millinocket instead, and hire a taxi to shuttle them in and out of the Park on the day of their hike.

Your Climb of Katahdin
Until October 15th - No restrictions unless a Class III (some trails closed) or IV Day (all trails closed at trailheads) is declared in the morning, when all climbing is prohibited. A Class III or IV Day is declared when there are dangers and risks to (1) hikers, (2) those who may have to be called on for Search and Rescue efforts, and (3) the fragile alpine environment itself.

After October 15th - The Park is open for Day Use only (sunrise to sunset) to ALL hikers (regular visitors as well as Thru-Hikers), conditions permitting. Again, restrictions apply on Class III Days and no climbing is allowed on Class IV Days, which are more frequently declared at that time of the year due to ice and snow. Vehicular access to the Park usually ends completely by November 1 or whenever conditions that pose a threat to personal safety or the resource have locked in for the season.

The ATC, the MATC and the Park all strongly recommend you complete your climb of Katahdin before October 15th - after that there is too high risk of winter conditions and increased likelihood of harm to the environment. If you do not feel you can reach Katahdin by that date you may wish to “Flip-Flop”, climbing Katahdin earlier and returning to the rest of your hike afterwards.

For further details to help you plan your visit to the Park, please ask for the BSP Distance-Hiking Brochure by contacting BSP or private hostels and campgrounds along the trail in New Hampshire and Maine. Contents include: BSP’s philosophy of management, arrangements for pets, meeting friends/family in the Park, terrain conditions, Class Days, mail and messages, and much more. The Park telephone number is (207) 723-5140. Find us on the web: www.baxterstateparkauthority.com

Thank you!

Baxter State Park Appalachian Trail Conference Maine Appalachian Trail Club

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2007, 20:08
Teej:

This is REALLY useful information; thanx for sending it along.

Lone Wolf
07-05-2007, 20:27
Teej:

This is REALLY useful information; thanx for sending it along.

this info has been out there for years.

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2007, 20:33
Yeah, and the information re. Baxter seems to change just about every year, too, especially as regards user fees; where one can camp; where one is supposed to sign in, whether or not certain places require reseervations, etc.

In point of fact, it is indeed useful to have current (i.e recent, up-to-date) information, and Teej is performing a valuable service here.

Lone Wolf
07-05-2007, 20:47
There are rules at the other end, too.

ain't no rules at springer

Appalachian Tater
07-05-2007, 20:56
Rules for Springer:

http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/rules.htm

Shelters suck! Hiking poles are for weenies! Only scaredy-pants treat water!

TJ aka Teej
07-06-2007, 07:41
this info has been out there for years.
Last updated in 2002 in fact. Baxter State Park's Jean Hoekwater just revised and released this, and WhiteBlaze members were the first non-BSP people to see this new revision. I sent it along to Wingfoot and the ALDHA Companion Update page on the ATC website too.
Look close: There's something new here for IAT hikers!

jlb2012
07-06-2007, 08:09
humm - about the only thing I saw that applies to IAT hikers is that the 100 mile rule for staying at The Birches is now generic and no longer AT specific

TJ aka Teej
07-06-2007, 08:57
humm - about the only thing I saw that applies to IAT hikers is that the 100 mile rule for staying at The Birches is now generic and no longer AT specific

Exactly! The Birches is no longer AT specific, and IAT hikers are now allowed to use the Distance Hiker campsite.

warren doyle
07-14-2007, 13:10
I guess WB doesn't even want northbounders to know about other legal, and less costly, alternatives for NOBO's to summit Katahdin. Quite a change in editorial policy.

Can anybody say Trailplace II?

Jack Tarlin
07-14-2007, 13:14
If there are less costly, and legal ways to summit Katahdin, Mr. Doyle, there is absolutley nothing whatsoever to prevent you from sharing them here.

And there's nothing to prevent you from sharing non-legal advice either, as you've done it many times.....but if you know another way to summit Katahdin that doesn't involve breaking Park rules or Maine statutes, then feel free to tell us about it.

warren doyle
07-14-2007, 13:25
I did share this information and it was removed by the WB administrators.

I guess AT dreamers might have to attend the Appalachian Trail Institute now to find out how northbounders and southbounders can legally avoid paying a fee to Baxter State Park either at the end or the beginning of their thru-hikes.

Too bad they can't obtain this information anymore here at Whiteblaze.

Makes me wonder what other kind of legal and helpful information will be withheld from future AT hikers.

Jack Tarlin
07-14-2007, 13:59
Instead of maligning the administration like you just did in the last line of your above post, why don't you ASK them instead?

The answers might prove enlightening,and then you could share them with us.

Something to think about maybe? :-?

Lilred
07-14-2007, 14:03
I did share this information and it was removed by the WB administrators.

I guess AT dreamers might have to attend the Appalachian Trail Institute now to find out how northbounders and southbounders can legally avoid paying a fee to Baxter State Park either at the end or the beginning of their thru-hikes.

Too bad they can't obtain this information anymore here at Whiteblaze.

Makes me wonder what other kind of legal and helpful information will be withheld from future AT hikers.

Mr. Doyle,
I have been watching your's and other's posts on W.B. since 2003 and I must say this is the most oustounding thing I've read so far. To insinuate that Dixie or Rock or ATTroll would intentionally cancel a post,....why?.... because it's you???.... is really poor judgement. And then to tell all the newbies the only way to get this info is to sign up for your truly unnecessary Institute is really too much. I trust the administrators on this site to run it as fairly as anyone can, and if your post was removed that contained such valuable information, I am quite sure it was with good reason.

Lilred
07-14-2007, 14:05
Mr. Doyle,
I have been watching your's and other's posts on W.B. since 2003 and I must say this is the most oustounding thing I've read so far. .

Oustounding = outstanding and astounding. oops...

Jack Tarlin
07-14-2007, 14:06
Lilred:

I don't know what was more impressive----the content of your post or how well you said it. But in any case,your remarks were spot on.

dixicritter
07-14-2007, 14:15
OK being as I didn't delete the post in question I'm sorry I can't really answer Warren's post as to the reason it was deleted, and I'm fairly certain it wasn't Rock since he has been out of the loop for several months now. So by process of elimination that only leaves Attroll, and I can't really answer to his motives.

That being said, based on what I have read in this thread the post in question (which I do recall) was called into question as not being sound advice for legal reasons. If you read the Rules of the Site posting anything that promotes illegal activities is against posting rules and subject to immediate post removal.

We've been too lax lately on removing such posts, that's all changing. Trailplace II... only if y'all make us that way. Don't post what you don't want us to have to delete. Y'all know the rules, abide by them, we're not here to babysit you.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2007, 14:28
quit stirring the pot. you've been warned

The Old Fhart
07-14-2007, 15:10
I had asked several times that information promoting illegal activities be removed from WB as this is not in the interest of the A.T. or the many people who really support the A.T.. I am glad because enforcing this rule will greatly decrease the amount of garbage being posted. The ENTIRE® WB community should be please with this decision.

warren doyle
07-14-2007, 15:21
Everything seems to be resolved (partially due to my post today of 13:25).

I like the rules for this website. I like the new editorial policy.

I will repost the post that was deleted.

The post that started this thread was informative and useful.

My post was also informative and useful, and legal.

I will try to recreate it.

A Free and Legal Way to Finish a Northbound Hike on Katahdin

For the northbounder that doesn't want to spend their last night in a $9 shelter in a heavily regulated area.

You can camp between the Abol Bridge Campground property and the Baxter State Park boundary near the 'gravel pit' area about 14.5 miles from the summit. I would suggest you start the 'approach hike' at 4am.

The first 3.5 miles to Pine Point is fairly level (no elevation change)with a good footway and not that difficult a night-hike. Arrive at Pine Point at 5:30am.

The next 6.9 miles to the Katahdin Stream crossing has an elevation gain of only 910'. Arrive at the Katahdin Stream crossing at approximately 9am.

The next 2.5 miles to the Gateway (start of the Tableland) has a difficult
3,090' elevation gain. Arrive at the Gateway approximately at 1pm.

The last 1.6 miles across the Tableland and up to the summit has an elevation gain of 667'. Arrive on Katahdin at 2pm.

This would allow you 4-6 hours (depending on the month) to celebrate, descend and hitch out to the gatehouse where you could be picked up by family/friends saving them an entrance fee, along with a possible future front-wheel alignment, or you could continue to MIllinocket.

Monentary cost? = $0

Psychological satisfaction? - priceless to those that feel this option is good for them.

dixicritter
07-14-2007, 15:40
We have checked into the information Warren has posted and the area is indeed outside of the park. Therefore this is legal information and the post stands.

The admin team

Jack Tarlin
07-14-2007, 15:47
Cool. Then I guess this means that the next time someone (and I mean ANYONE) posts NON-legal information; boasts about doing NON-legal things on or near theTrail; or teaches others how they can best emulate such activity, then I suppose these posts will NOT stand.

Cool. Oddly enough some of us have been advocating this for quite some time! :D

warren doyle
07-14-2007, 15:51
Thank you! Great job!

Shutterbug
07-14-2007, 16:25
Everything seems to be resolved (partially due to my post today of 13:25).

I like the rules for this website. I like the new editorial policy.

I will repost the post that was deleted.

The post that started this thread was informative and useful.

My post was also informative and useful, and legal.

I will try to recreate it.

A Free and Legal Way to Finish a Northbound Hike on Katahdin

For the northbounder that doesn't want to spend their last night in a $9 shelter in a heavily regulated area.

You can camp between the Abol Bridge Campground property and the Baxter State Park boundary near the 'gravel pit' area about 14.5 miles from the summit. I would suggest you start the 'approach hike' at 4am.

The first 3.5 miles to Pine Point is fairly level (no elevation change)with a good footway and not that difficult a night-hike. Arrive at Pine Point at 5:30am.

The next 6.9 miles to the Katahdin Stream crossing has an elevation gain of only 910'. Arrive at the Katahdin Stream crossing at approximately 9am.

The next 2.5 miles to the Gateway (start of the Tableland) has a difficult
3,090' elevation gain. Arrive at the Gateway approximately at 1pm.

The last 1.6 miles across the Tableland and up to the summit has an elevation gain of 667'. Arrive on Katahdin at 2pm.

This would allow you 4-6 hours (depending on the month) to celebrate, descend and hitch out to the gatehouse where you could be picked up by family/friends saving them an entrance fee, along with a possible future front-wheel alignment, or you could continue to MIllinocket.

Monentary cost? = $0

Psychological satisfaction? - priceless to those that feel this option is good for them.

I am ok with saving money when I can, but I happen to believe that the cost of maintaining state parks should be paid by the people who use them. Yes, I know that Gov. Baxter left a trust fund, but the fund isn't large enough to provide for the maintenance of Baxter State Park. Those of us who use the park should pay our fair share.

I can understand that a few people don't have any money and have to be cheap, but for those of us who can afford it, why would we want to avoid paying the fee? It only shifts the cost to others.

I have visited Baxter State Park at least once in each of the past four years. It is a great place to hike and camp. I am thankful for the park and hope it is preserved for future generations. I pay the nonresident use fee without complaint.

Appalachian Tater
07-14-2007, 16:57
You have to get up at 4 AM and hike an extra 9 miles or so on the first or last day of your hike. That works out to paying a mile plus half an hour for each dollar "saved" from supporting the park.

Jack Tarlin
07-14-2007, 17:11
Shutterbug:

What a wise post. And of course you're right....when one uses a public service without supporting it, then the costs associated with maintaining that service are inedeed passed on to others. As you put it, "the cost of maintaining state parks should be paid by the people who use them." Quite right.

rickb
07-14-2007, 17:17
you could be picked up by family/friends saving them an entrance fee,I have a few relatives who I might discourage entering the park.

Of course these are the ones from whom I wouldn't accept a ride to the emergency room bleeding from my femoral artery.

The roads are slow, but not all that bad. There are so many moose in the park you woudn't want to drive fast anyway. Even if your relatives aren't hikers, there are a few short walks that are very appealing-- there is a classic view of Katahdin a short walk out of Roaring Brook CG that would be high on my list of places to show off. Probably a moose or two there too.

And if they can swing it, even one's more genteel relatives could rough it for a night at Daicy Pond with a bit of deet. Of course if they travel by camper they are screwed, since none of any size are allowed in the park.

My folks dropped me off there, and it was great place to share the day before. Plus, I didn't pay a thing.

Jack Tarlin
07-14-2007, 17:31
Right. YOU didn't pay a thing to enjoy Park.

But other folks sure did, which is precisely Shutterbug's point.

rickb
07-14-2007, 17:36
Exactly. Mom and dad did.

These days I contribute to the National Parks Conservation Association, among other organizations.

But that is besides the point.

Be well.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2007, 17:36
the AT should not begin/end in a state park

Jack Tarlin
07-14-2007, 17:39
Why not? It's got to begin and end somewhere, preferably somewhere pretty, with good facilities, and excellent hiking. What's wrong with a Park?
You think it'd be better if the Trail termini were on private land?? :-?

Lone Wolf
07-14-2007, 17:42
Why not? It's got to begin and end somewhere, preferably somewhere pretty, with good facilities, and excellent hiking. What's wrong with a Park?
You think it'd be better if the Trail termini were on private land?? :-?

Whitecap mtn. would be perfect

warren doyle
07-14-2007, 17:49
It is pleasant to read a thread where there can be differing opinions without descending into disparaging name-calling.

Thank you again WB administrators. I hope my Word Wall and scoreboard posts are over.

Jack Tarlin
07-14-2007, 17:55
As recently as late 2006, Wolf, I'm not sure all of Whitecap was protected land. I think much of it was still privately owned til quite recently, and some of it still may be. Where's Teej or Weary or Walkin' Home when you need them?

But even if the Trail began and ended outside of State Parks, something like 99% of the Trail is on public land of some sort, i.e. National Park; National Forest; State Game Land; etc. There are all sorts of designations, and all sorts of rules and regulations, depending on where you happen to be at the time. I suspect that Wolf wants to avoid State Parks becuase of the various rules and regulations required from visitors. But other places have expectations from visitors as well. Merely avoiding State Parks wouldn't change much.

TJ aka Teej
07-14-2007, 18:58
As recently as late 2006, Wolf, I'm not sure all of Whitecap was protected land. I think much of it was still privately owned til quite recently, and some of it still may be. Where's Teej or Weary or Walkin' Home when you need them?

I was at a family reunion in New Hampshire :D Weary & Walkin were probably out walkin' :sun
Jack, you're right about Whitecap. With the exception of the recent AMC purchases to the west, ownership of the area outside the AT corridor is in private hands.

mudhead
07-14-2007, 19:03
Heads up on the gravel pit area. Gets some after dark vehicle traffic. The area from the pit to the park boundary gets smelly, at least the last few times I've been there. Campground septic belching or people ducking in bushes. Taint moose poo anyway.

You won't sleep past 4AM there anyway. The truck traffic starts early. Last summer, weekday pulptruck traffic cleared the bridge @1:30. AM. YeefrigginHaw. I like to get up and get moving, but really.

I like the stretch from the boundary into the park. Lots of spots worth smiling at. But then I am partial to riverside trails.

TJ aka Teej
07-14-2007, 19:11
I like the stretch from the boundary into the park. Lots of spots worth smiling at. But then I am partial to riverside trails.
It's a really nice section, I was really when glad Baxter was able to extend the boundary south to the river to protect this area.

rev_sunshine
07-15-2007, 01:58
removed

I was really excited when I found this site, and I read and read and read before actually joining

It was really nice to find a community SOOO welcoming and devoted to hiking, nature, the AT, conservation, humanity, and the hiking community

And then, today, after reading so many people's journals of their hikes, and being in a really great mood, I read this completely unnecessary, impertinent, and insulting comment

Thanks for reminding me that even on the trail with all it's magic and good thoughts there are still people who are completely negative and harsh...it reminds me to keep my eyes open for the snakes.

The Reverend

emerald
07-15-2007, 07:23
today, after reading so many people's journals of their hikes, and being in a really great mood, I read this completely unnecessary, impertinent, and insulting comment

You could flag it and request it be deleted. I just did.

Lone Wolf
07-15-2007, 07:35
truth hurts sometimes

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 07:44
LW, I deleted the post for unacceptable language.

Thank you, SOG, for flagging the post. The admin team can't be everywhere, we need your help to keep things good on the site. Please use the the little triangle button with an exclamnation point next to the post number to report posts that contain material that violates the WB terms of service. This is the best way to notify the admin team of posts that need attention.

emerald
07-15-2007, 08:39
I hope you enjoy your hike on The Long Trail.

emerald
07-15-2007, 12:24
There's a good reason why northbound thru-hikers might want to keep this option in their bag of tricks. Since no one has called it to the attention of those who will read this thread so far, I will.

I have stated before it's wise to keep one's options open when nearing Katahdin. Most hikers will want to summit on a day when the weather is good if at all possible.

When I neared Katahdin, I learned rain was expected on the day I had planned to summit. By combining 3 days of hiking into 2 longer days, I got to summit on a day with a view.

Baxter State Park's boundary was a bit farther north in 1980, but I camped legally just outside the park's boundary and set out for Katahdin maybe before first light, I don't remember exactly. At Daicey Pond, I was persistent and got incredibly lucky in that I was able to secure a reservation at Chimney Pond. After I summitted, I crossed The Knife Edge, descended from Pamola via Dudley Trail to Chimney Pond and in the morning hiked to Roaring Brook Campground in the rain.

What I described is an option for someone who already has a reservation at Chimney Pond or can secure one at the last moment due to a cancellation and is possibly something only someone who has hiked from Georgia or is in comparable physical condition should attempt, but it was an incredible end to a great hike!;)

warren doyle
07-15-2007, 12:31
Nice addition to the options of finishing on Katahdin.

Jack Tarlin
07-15-2007, 12:46
If one is not overly troubled by the prospect of paying a few dollars for a campsite, there are, of course, all sorts of nice options for finishing one's journey in Baxter, and this has always been the case. Most hikers see very little of the Park, and the A.T. is generally the only Trail they spend any time on. Good for Shades for getting to see more of the Park; hikers that do as he did very seldom regret it.

rickb
07-15-2007, 18:42
How often does "The Birches" fill up, especially when there are no alternative traditional places (like Katahdin Stream) to stay?

Or to put it another way, are there times when Warren's approach is the only legal one left for hikers who don't want to wait in the queue for an official camping spot spot to open up?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 18:49
.....At Daicey Pond, I was persistent and got incredibly lucky in that I was able to secure a reservation at Chimney Pond. After I summitted, I crossed The Knife Edge, descended from Pamola via Dudley Trail to Chimney Pond and in the morning hiked to Roaring Brook Campground in the rain.

What I described is an option for someone who already has a reservation at Chimney Pond or can secure one at the last moment due to a cancellation and is possibly something only someone who has hiked from Georgia or is in comparable physical condition should attempt, but it was an incredible end to a great hike!;)SOG, Would staying in a capmpground in Baxter and then hiking as you did be posible for someone not in top physical shape? (Dinos are slow creatures who don't climb too well)

mudhead
07-15-2007, 18:57
Going down Dudley bites. Fun trail going up. Just my opinion.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 19:02
Could someone who is familiar with trails other than the AT recommend the easiest way to summit or exit? I want to do the AT in one direction, but physical realities dictate I may not be able to make that climb up and down in a single day.

Appalachian Tater
07-15-2007, 19:23
The ranger at Baxter believed the A.T. route to be the easiest way up and down.

mudhead
07-15-2007, 19:47
The logistics lead to: You can't get there from here. The Hunt trail (AT) is probably your best bet. The first mile is pretty flat, and there is a warm spot about 100yds from the campground, for a ways, so you can start early. The last mile is pretty flat, too.

The easiest summit route is from Chimney pond. Saddle. @2mi. But you have to get into Chimney pond with gear.

So, you could have your sherpa carry your stuff back to the car at roaring brook, then drive around the mountain, while you summit. Then you go south to KStream on the Hunt trail. Meet your ride. Convoluted? You bet. @7.2 vs 10.4 miles.

Consider starting early. Or earlier. Good napping spots abound up there, say on a spur/connector with big flat rocks.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 19:51
Thanks Mudhead. I'd heard that summiting via the Chimney Pond trail was less taxing. Several people have volunteered to help with the logistics of getting me up and down the Big K.

rickb
07-15-2007, 19:53
I think it would be. Via the Saddle Trail. Shorter, and no big boulders to deal with (thought there are only a few on the Hunt Trail).

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 19:55
No big boulders is important. I can't climb boulders anymore without assistance.

rickb
07-15-2007, 20:02
Here is a picture of the Saddle Trail.

The 24" version, anyway.

http://expolab.colorado.edu/Matt/ClimbKatahdin_files/image003.jpg

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 20:07
:::: Dino cries upon seeing pic. I think I can do this. :::

emerald
07-15-2007, 23:58
Going down Dudley bites. Fun trail going up. Just my opinion.

I agree based upon my recollection of that day now many years ago when I carried my Kelty Tioga loaded with about maybe 40 lbs of gear down it. As I recall, Dudley isn't the sort of bouldering where one can sit and lower one's feet to the next boulder readily because of their size. The descent involved jumping down to the next rock repeatedly. My knees which rarely bothered me on the entire trip protested.

Do you agree with my description mudhead?

mudhead
07-16-2007, 08:30
If you can butt slide Dudley, you have very long legs. I find it hard looking over the "step downs" to find footing.

FD- If you have trouble going up boulders, how are you going to handle going down them? Not trying to yank your chain, I just find going up easier. Some people go fast downhill, not me.

Bribe some guys to push you up the Hunt Trail, then go down Saddle to meet your sherpa at Chimney pond. Plenty of beer stores in town. Saddle is the E-bailout trail. Lots of loose stuff. Not my favorite, but useful.

The Hunt trail is long, but not overwhelming. Seems it tho, by some reactions to it...

mudhead
07-16-2007, 08:36
Having said that, I sit here with a puffy housemaid's knee, and will not be near that trail for a bit. I can see my kneecap again, but do not trust it. I need a Mcuen whirlpool bath.

warren doyle
07-16-2007, 08:50
Based on my climbs/descents of Katahdin (approximately forty - summer/fall/winter) utilizing all the trails, some more than others (Hunt; Abol; Taylor); I feel there are no 'easy' ways up or down Katahdin. That is one of the reasons that it is called the "Mightiest Mountain".
For day hikers, a very early start is recommended (which unfortunately is controlled by the gatehouse hours) so you can get off the mountain before nightfall.
I look forward to climbing it again on Monday July 30 with my son (& his girlfriend), my daughter (and her boyfriend) and my wife.

TJ aka Teej
07-16-2007, 09:27
How often does "The Birches" fill up, especially when there are no alternative traditional places (like Katahdin Stream) to stay?
ATers are learning to call ahead from Monson to reserve spots. The ten-day deal has been extended out to 14-days, so BSP HQ is even getting calls from Caratunk. The Birches very seldom fill up, only a handfull of times each season, as many ATers opt for spots at Katahdin Stream after hiking in. The BSP Rangers and the MATC Trailrunners are the Finest Kind, and will always take the time to try and find spots inside the park for those who hike in. Since the Birches opened, no long distance hiker has ever been turned away from Baxter.

TJ aka Teej
07-16-2007, 09:34
SOG, Would staying in a capmpground in Baxter and then hiking as you did be posible for someone not in top physical shape? (Dinos are slow creatures who don't climb too well)

FD, explore the Chimney Pond option. And I suggest calling the Park and talking with a Ranger. The folks that answer the phone aren't "clerks" - they're Rangers with decades of experience, and are always willing to help people enjoy the Mountain and Park.

TJ aka Teej
07-16-2007, 09:39
Several people have volunteered to help with the logistics of getting me up and down the Big K.
You can add me to that list - but only if you stop calling Katahdin "the Big K"! :D

TJ aka Teej
07-16-2007, 09:41
Here is a picture of the Saddle Trail.

The 24" version, anyway.

http://expolab.colorado.edu/Matt/ClimbKatahdin_files/image003.jpg

Very cool pic of one of the model of the Mountain on the Ranger's porch at Sandy Stream. The AT climbs up from the "back" of the mountain as you look at it in that pic.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-16-2007, 10:37
If you can butt slide Dudley, you have very long legs. I find it hard looking over the "step downs" to find footing.

FD- If you have trouble going up boulders, how are you going to handle going down them? Not trying to yank your chain, I just find going up easier. Some people go fast downhill, not me.

Bribe some guys to push you up the Hunt Trail, then go down Saddle to meet your sherpa at Chimney pond. Plenty of beer stores in town. Saddle is the E-bailout trail. Lots of loose stuff. Not my favorite, but useful.

The Hunt trail is long, but not overwhelming. Seems it tho, by some reactions to it...Mudhead, I have a paralyzed vastus lateralis (largest quad in thigh) in my right leg. I cannot push all my weight up with that leg at present but am working on that - I hope to be able to train the other muscles to do it by this fall. I will likely never be able to push all my weight up over and over nad over with that leg again. My vastus lateralis is also showing some signs of nerve regrowth, but it is not anywhere near the point of me being able to get it to do what I try to get it to do on a regular basis - that will take years per physical therapists.

I can slide off boulders and land on fair level spots with assistance if they aren't more than about 8 ft high. My knees won't be happy about this, but they can do it. The left knee is still mostly numb anyway :D

Footslogger
07-16-2007, 10:59
We went ahead and downloaded/sent in the reservation form from the Baxter website for our August trip. We're hiking from Rangeley to Monson and then jumping up to Baxter for a little celebration summit of Katahdin on 8/17 (this will be the final AT segment for my wife - she will have completed an end-2-end AT hike ...YIPEE !!). Since we are driving up from Monson we were able to get a spot at Katahdin Stream Campground but the lean-tos were all taken. We ended up with a tent site, which was better for us anyway.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-16-2007, 11:02
....for a little celebration summit of Katahdin on 8/17 (this will be the final AT segment for my wife - she will have completed an end-2-end AT hike ...YIPEE !!).::: Dino does cartwheels over Mrs. 'Slogger's finishing section hike ::::

emerald
07-16-2007, 18:07
You can add me to that list - but only if you stop calling Katahdin "the Big K"! :D

Please! Don't call it Mt. Katahdin either.:eek: Everyone knows the greatest mountain is a mountain.:rolleyes:

You might as well announce in a loud, clear voice "Hey, everyone! I'm a newbie.":D

Marta
07-16-2007, 18:18
Ms. Dino-- Before you invest a lot of time and energy in going to Maine to attempt the climb of that mountain, whatever people want to call it, you might want to test yourself a little closer to home. Katahdin does not have a lot of hiking, but it does involve quite a bit a scrambling. Five or six hours of going up and down the business side of Albert Mtn. would be about like half a climb of that mountain in Maine. If you can do that, you're probably ready for Maine. If a sustained effort on Albert is too much, you may need to keep hitting the PT for a while longer.

My fingers are crossed for you... I know you'll get there eventually, but I'd hate to see you get hurt or really, really disappointed in yourself by tackling it too soon.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-16-2007, 18:20
Thanks Marta, I plan to try Albert Mtn. before even thinking about Katahdin (not the big K nor Katahdin Mtn. :D)
Ms. Dino-- Before you invest a lot of time and energy in going to Maine to attempt the climb of that mountain, whatever people want to call it, you might want to test yourself a little closer to home. Katahdin does not have a lot of hiking, but it does involve quite a bit a scrambling. Five or six hours of going up and down the business side of Albert Mtn. would be about like half a climb of that mountain in Maine. If you can do that, you're probably ready for Maine. If a sustained effort on Albert is too much, you may need to keep hitting the PT for a while longer.

My fingers are crossed for you... I know you'll get there eventually, but I'd hate to see you get hurt or really, really disappointed in yourself by tackling it too soon.

Marta/Five-Leaf

The Old Fhart
07-16-2007, 19:03
Shades Of Gray-'Please! Don't call it Mt. Katahdin either.:eek: Everyone knows the greatest mountain is a mountain.:rolleyes: "Technically there are several summits on Katahdin and the one everyone means when they talk about the end of the trail is Baxter Peak. Also to be technically correct, Katahdin is a monadnock.

mudhead
07-16-2007, 19:21
Sage advice. I saw this picture when I logged on.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=834&catid=563
That's the flatish mile at the top.

The first mile from the campground is flatish, then you have alot of steps, then follow a stream bed, then scramble. When you break through at treeline, the first time, it will grab you. Whole lot safer and easier than it looks.

Fun article in the Portland sunday paper. Could not find it online but got some other pictures. http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/slideshows/katahdin/

I am sure that the gallery has some other good shots, Gateway, metal posts, other fun stuff. Old you know who has some quality pics.

VFTT would be able to give you a very good trail description. Mend. OK?