PDA

View Full Version : rappelling

jimmyfunk
07-05-2007, 23:28
Are there any possiblities for rappelling in the area from Clingmans dome to Fontana dam? Furthermore does anyone ever do any rappelling on the AT?

fiddlehead
07-06-2007, 06:02
you could probably rappel off the fire tower at shuckstack. but there's probably some regulation against it.
I've seen people rock climbing and rappelling from time to time off cliffs near the AT. But for thru-hikers, i'd have to say:"Probably not" the rope would be more than folks would want to carry.

Nightwalker
07-06-2007, 08:20
you could probably rappel off the fire tower at shuckstack. but there's probably some regulation against it.
I've seen people rock climbing and rappelling from time to time off cliffs near the AT. But for thru-hikers, i'd have to say:"Probably not" the rope would be more than folks would want to carry.

One of the strangest things that I've ever found left behind in a shelter was approximately 100 feet of 1/2" climbing rope sitting on top of a large bear canister. It was in the old Stover Creek shelter in March, of course. That's one of the popular shelters for people to dump stuff, and the weird time of year to boot.

Even though I don't often stay in shelters, I stop at almost every one, especially that time of year, just to see what's been left behind. I got a good pair of boots that way in '05! :sun

Lone Wolf
07-06-2007, 08:25
it really disturbs me when people leave stuff at shelters.

Outlaw
07-06-2007, 13:51

but then again, shelters suck, right LW?

Lone Wolf
07-06-2007, 14:04
but then again, shelters suck, right LW?

no. no. i luv shelters

Dances with Mice
07-06-2007, 14:11
I used to climb but once I stopped for lunch at Stover Creek and somebody stole my rope and bear cannister.

Nightwalker
07-06-2007, 14:25

Even Reader's Digests?

Lone Wolf
07-06-2007, 14:27
Even Reader's Digests?

they're educational

Fannypack
07-06-2007, 14:43
LW, u are just a disturbed person, right?

Lone Wolf
07-06-2007, 14:45
LW, u are just a disturbed person, right?

very much correct. no fries in my happy meal!:banana

Nightwalker
07-06-2007, 14:54
very much correct. no fries in my happy meal!:banana

When I was a child we couldn't even afford fries. We were grateful to have slugs with our happy meal. And not those fancy French slugs either.

Outlaw
07-06-2007, 22:22
no. no. i luv shelters

... as well as water filters, hiking poles, and bear bags.

Lone Wolf
07-06-2007, 22:26
... as well as water filters, hiking poles, and bear bags.

yes. all of the above. just ask appy tater

jimmyfunk
07-09-2007, 15:51
We just got back and we decided to leave the rappelling gear in the car. It was an excellent idea because there were virtually ZERO opportunities for rappelling (save the fire tower described) from Clingmans to Fontana. The extra weight would have been frustrating.

mweinstone
07-09-2007, 19:48
my 165' rope weighs 8 lbs. its black diamond. really chouinard.i have two. one got broke 6 ' from the halfway point. i cut it and made two top ropes. either one can repell a small drop. still, 1/2 a rope isnt any fun compaired to a whole one and also the trail sucks for reppelling. the best climbing on the trail you can get some fun out of is bouldering the occaisional boulder and face climbing free, the rare small walls found. places like the pinnicle would involve being to close to folks. and places off trail ,...well,...our corridor is too small to find alot. its possable to find a quartz face or a granite one that is fun and acssesable enough i guess. in my mind, climbing is a western sport. its just how i see and enjoy it. i really kind of gave up my eastern climbing hopes after a childhood of searching our trail for some.