PDA

View Full Version : YMCAs in trail towns

oreotragus
07-06-2007, 01:07
I'm dreaming about the SOBO thru-hike I'm planning to do after I graduate college, and I was thinking about YMCAs in trail towns. I am a certified personal trainer at my local YMCA and as a employee/member, I can obtain an "Away Card" that gives me entrance to any other Y. I realized this would be a possible asset to me as I could get into a Y in a trail town and shower and get cleaned up in nice, free facilities.

Has anyone else done this? I don't know how many trail towns would have YMCAs, but I could check on that, and even if there were just a few it would still be nice to go into town and get a hot shower at a Y, first thing.

Jenni

oreotragus
07-06-2007, 01:08
*as AN employee, excuse me :)

fiddlehead
07-06-2007, 03:03
The only "Y" i remember is when i did a thru in '77, there was one in Erwin Tenn. we had a great stay there. but, now, it is far from the trail and there are other hostels a lot closer that will also hook you up with a ride into Erwin. I don't remember any others off hand. But like you said, you could probably check into it from the YMCA's facility data.
Have fun.

Heater
07-06-2007, 04:44
YMCAS make me nervous. :-?

TinAbbey
07-06-2007, 06:34
i think there might be one in waynesboro, VA. And also theres a YMCA camp on the trail that I stayed at in NJ. as of last year they welcomed hikers. can't think of anything else off the top of my head

Pokey2006
07-06-2007, 06:58
There was indeed an excellent one in Waynesboro, Va. Came in handy for me, as I got to town after the church hostel there closed for the season. $2 will get you use of the facilities -- including a swim in the pool and a hot shower with a clean towel -- whether you have a pass or membership or not. They also run the hiker tenting spot in town. Very hiker-friendly place, and a nice, clean facility. I love the Y!

I don't remember any other Ys along the way. I think most trail towns are too small for them. It's a nice idea, though.

oreotragus
07-06-2007, 09:33
Thanks everyone. I'll have to remember these town names!

Lone Wolf
07-06-2007, 09:34
the one in erwin ain't no more

Skyline
07-06-2007, 10:42
YMCAS make me nervous. :-?

Good enough for the Village People. :-)

jlb2012
07-06-2007, 11:00
plug in the trail town's zip in this form: http://www.ymca.net/find_your_ymca/
and you should get a summary of services and contact info

minnesotasmith
07-06-2007, 12:04
That I stayed at during my 2006 thruhike. Was a former Boy Scout camp, falling down for the most part, had a cheap breakfast buffet, great view of the water (big lake) from 2 enclosed screened cabins, nice people running it.

Programbo
07-08-2007, 18:01
Just remember. It`s fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A. ;)

modiyooch
07-08-2007, 18:04
I typically can't find a Y because I think the towns are too small, but if there is a local gym, they usually are accommodating. Front Royal comes to mind.