PDA

View Full Version : Linden VA, July 20

Tractor
07-06-2007, 12:18
My section hike window has just opened! I plan to fly into DC (Reagan National) Friday July 20 and catch a commuter bus to Linden. As I am flying I will send at least my stove and empty fuel bottle ahead. A little problem I need to work around, though, is if I mail to the Linden post office I will have to hang around Friday night to wait for post office to open Saturday. Does anyone know of another worthy place in Linden I can mail to and retrieve it Friday after the bus arrives?? If I can pull this off I can hit the trail Friday evening!

If I gotta hang in Linden, does anyone know a spot I can pitch a tent without hoofing back to the trail?

I hope to make Port Clinton, or thereabouts, before having to head back home this trip. Looks like bus/train options to Philly then plane out.

Happy Trails!

Lone Wolf
07-06-2007, 12:21
there's a blue-blaze trail that leads south from the P.O. back up to the AT. camp in the woods somewhere there

BlackCloud
07-06-2007, 13:19
There's not a whole lot to Linden.....:cool:

Maybe
07-06-2007, 13:44
What time does your flight get in? I might be able to get you out to Linden before the P.O. closes ...

Tractor
07-06-2007, 14:16
Thanks for the offer Maybe. I can be a little flexable on my flight time. Was looking at schedules a little while ago. Now I'm thinking I don't have to have coffee the first morning out and don't need to cook the first night out so perhaps I just send along the drop to Bears Den Hostel?

Making my way to the trailhead sooner, than later, would be sweet though!

Johnny Swank
07-06-2007, 14:54
Just bag the stove and make an alcohol burner once you get out there. Hell - just bag the stove period during this time of year.

Tractor
07-06-2007, 15:10
Johnny. Good idea. I'm just not quite ready to give up the old wisperlite. Maybe after this little hike...or just before it? We'll see. How much of a weight loss? I need to do another search I guess.

Lets see, one 22oz bottle, one old wisperlite stove, wish I had a scale.....

Johnny Swank
07-06-2007, 18:05
How long are you going to be out for. 22oz of fuel in the summer would last most folks weeks. 22oz fuel+fuel bottle+stove = around 2 lbs or more. An alcohol stove + 8 oz fuel = about 9 oz. Denatured alcohol is absolutely no problem to get on the trail, and well over half the thru-hikers on my survey report that that's what they're using. A cannister stove is a few ounces heavier, but still lighter than the whisperlight setup. I've largely retired my whisperlight except for group trips in the wintertime.

As far as weight, alcohol is not as efficient per BTU, but the stove weight is negligible so it more than balances out. After a little learning curve, I can cook just about anything with a refried bean can with come slots cut in the top, along with a cheap 1.5 pot cozy made from an old blue foam pad.

My wife and I are going on a 7-8 day section hike, and we'll take about 10 -12 oz of alcohol fuel for the both of us and will have some left over.

For that matter, I've been cooking almost every time with a pot hanging over a tiny cookfire lately if the weather is nice. As hot as it's been, we take much longer breaks in the afternoon anyway, so I'll take a few meals that take longer simmering times (beans, real rice, etc) Using both cookfires and an alcohol stove for backup is probably the best of both worlds for us, and we're planning on using that method on the PCT. Mixing up the typical trail dinners with "real food" is awesome, and much cheaper over time.

Have fun on your hike, and use whatever makes you happy. All this gear stuff is just minutia in the end.

middle to middle
07-14-2007, 11:04
A long time ago but in late 70's at the general store in Linden, on a cold rainy day I hooked up with some nice people who called themselves Rainbow People. Invited me in for the night and slept in front of their fireplace. If there are any Rainbow people left they will help. Hopefully someone at the store will know. As I recall the guy was known as " Racoon
Tom

the goat
07-14-2007, 12:39
There's not a whole lot to Linden.....:cool:

except for an excellent winery & vineyard, a couple of bottles of linden's finest wouldn't be a bad way to kill some time.

Newb
07-14-2007, 14:44
Tractor...

When you get to the AT trail head/parking lot there by the I-66 overpass you'll see a park picnic table right before the bridge over the creek. Take note...that tree over the picnic table is a mulberry tree...yum yum... also, the trail just north of there on the climb up to Manassas Gap shelter is loaded with blackberries right now. Oh, and wild turkeys (the feathered kind). Enjoy your hike.

Scaper
07-14-2007, 21:20
Tractor I don't get home from work until 11pm on Friday but if you need anything I could shuttle it out to you somewhere on Sat. My house is about 3 miles from the trailhead in Linden. JIM