PDA

View Full Version : GoreTex boots or Goretex socks?

njkayaker
07-06-2007, 12:34
So, I'm looking at light boots (Merrel Cameleons), and these are GoreTex.

I'm wondering if GoreTex boots are going to be too warm for summer. I'm also wondering if using GoreText socks are a better approach to waterproofing.

GoreTex socks are about $45 (at Campmor).

Any suggestions or comments about which might be better?

Footslogger
07-06-2007, 12:39
If you are absolutely committed to GoreTex then I'd suggest you go with the socks. Reason(s) being 1: Yes, GoreTex footwear is warm and 2: When GorTex footwear gets wet it tends to STAY wet for quite a while. At least with the socks you'd have the option of putting them on/taking them off based on actual needs.

To be totally honest though ...GorTex footwear probably isn't all that practical on the AT or the east in general, based on the typical heat/humidity conditions. Remember, when it comes to GorTex, what keeps water out also keeps water in. In other words, if it is hot and humid outside AND the environment around your feet is hot and humid (from perspiration) there isn't much vapor that's going to escape through the membrane. Bottom line is that you feet will stay wet.

'Slogger

Condor
07-06-2007, 13:30
I agree 100% with Slogger! It's summer, better to go with the quicker drying approch! get some shoes were youre feet can breathe. If they get wet(wich all boots will) they will just dry quicker! Enjoy!

BrianLe
07-06-2007, 15:22
Agreed on the socks --- depending on your footwear and conditions, goretex socks can be a great choice IMO. I find that I have to size them up substantially, but that also varies not only by the shoe but by what kind of socks you want to wear inside of them.

I think goretex socks work better with a lighter and more ventilated shoe --- easier for mosture to pass *out* of the goretex and then keep going out. If you're going to wear heavy boots, you might in fact just be better off with a VB sock instead, quite a different approach.

One way I like carrying goretex socks is for stream crossings; different strategies, and I've tried different approaches. I crossed a steam recently wearing just the goretex socks; not something I'd want to do if I expected a lot of sharp rocks, but it worked fine. A more general strategy can be to walk through the stream with just your shoes on, then squeeze them dry as possible and put on a liner sock and a goretex sock to wear inside until the shoes dry out on the trail a bit.

They're excellent in cold rainy weather with light shoes, or in snow. For the former, I prefer a smaller sock with just a liner inside, for the later it's good to size up and put a wool sock inside.

I like this approach a lot better than goretex footwear, for the reasons that 'Slogger cited. I'd also mention that the one pair of goretex shoes I tried got holes in them (same place on both shoes) before I finished a 150 mile trip. Goretex shoes with holes in them are the worst of both worlds --- they take longer to dry, water gets into the hole and can't get out as well.

Brian Lewis

Peaks
07-06-2007, 16:06
IMHO, GoreTex is frequently overrated. I'd say that it's a better indication of quality of boot rather than function.

I would not buy a boot based solely on GoreTex or not. And I think that for most hiking, GoreTex socks are not needed. However, if hiking in cold and wet conditions, then perhaps yes.

txulrich
07-06-2007, 17:09
I think that this is one of those areas that is personal preference. I have worn Gore-Tex boots exclusively and swear by them. I also swear by Vasque and always buy a boot with as much mesh as I can get.

If a non GT boot feels good on your feet and a GT sock gives you peace of mind, then go that way and be happy. Or if a GT boot works for you, then find one that's comfortable and go in peace.

Just my $.02.

SunnyWalker
07-07-2007, 09:55
I have Salomons and they of course have GT. I have had them wet not a few times and I am always surprised how good they feel even when wet. They seem to dry out much quicker then boots I have had previously. In addition, I have never had a blister with these boots. I have hiked in them in New Mexico, Big Bend, Grand Canyon, etc. -SunnyWalker

Just Jeff
07-07-2007, 10:19
NM, Big Bend and Grand Canyon are all places where the outside humidity is very low...that's the environment gore-tex was designed to excel in. Those same boots wouldn't dry as fast in a humid environment like along the AT.

Were your other boots leather?

SunnyWalker
07-08-2007, 00:04
Well Just Jeff, we'll see cuz I'm going to hike part of the AT in July starting in Ga. (July 16)

-SunnyWalker

Heater
07-08-2007, 14:17
Well Just Jeff, we'll see cuz I'm going to hike part of the AT in July starting in Ga. (July 16)

-SunnyWalker

That's in July. They'll probably work fine. I think he was talking about the rainy months.

SteveJ
07-08-2007, 15:31
NM, Big Bend and Grand Canyon are all places where the outside humidity is very low...that's the environment gore-tex was designed to excel in. Those same boots wouldn't dry as fast in a humid environment like along the AT.

Were your other boots leather?

That's in July. They'll probably work fine. I think he was talking about the rainy months.

Obviously, Just Jeff can speak for himself, but I think he is talking about hiking in the humid south in the middle of the summer. I live in GA, and hike a good bit (tho I do most of my hiking in the winter). I have breatheable waterproof boots and sealskinz socks - which I use when hiking in the winter when I know it will be wet. I don't use either in the summer specifically for the reason Just Jeff cites - the humidity builds up in the boot/sock, feet get hot and sticky (even more than normal when it's 90 deg w/ 90% humidity!), and it's just not very comfortable. I generally hike in New Balance or Merrell trail runners because they fit my high arch/wide foot well - this summer it's Merrell because that's what REI had in stock that fit well when I bought shoes back in the spring....

Getting geared up to take my 11 y.o. on a section hike next Sunday! We're planning on picking up at Woody Gap where we got off the trail in the spring, and hiking to Dick's Creek Gap....

Just Jeff
07-08-2007, 18:53

Enjoy your hike!

Gore-Tex is just a semipermeable membrane...google "goretex and osmosis" to see how it works. Basically, if it's dryer outside the membrane than it is inside, the moisture will move from the sweaty boot to outside. If it's just as humid outside the boot, the moisture will stay where it is. That's how all wpb materials work.

If you're comparing Gore-Tex with leather boots, it may be about the same. But if you're comparing Gore-Tex boots with some of the other options like Trail Runners or simple lightweight boots, your feet will likely be hotter and stay wetter when it's very humid outside.

Humidity at Amicalola is 85% tomorrow. That means humidity inside your boot will have to build up to at least 85% before the Gore-Tex can even start to move the moisture...but Gore-Tex is a barrier. I think the standard for calling GT breathable is that it allows 1-2% of the moisture to be transmitted (I may be off on that...someone can look it up if they're interested). Much lower transmission rate than some other (non-waterproof) fabrics, which means that the boot will hold more moisture inside than those other boots.

But then, those non-waterproof fabrics won't protect you when you step in a puddle. Gore-Tex has its place. Hot humid environments is not one of them, IMO.

But in the end, it's just wet feet and probably not much different from leather boots. No biggie - plenty of folks think their GT boots are so comfortable that they see no reason to change. Fair enough - it's their hike, their gear, and their enjoyment...as long as they're comfortable with it, what does anyone else's opinion matter?

So enjoy your hike, Gore-Tex or not! :D