PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Connecticut

texashiker
10-13-2003, 09:04
I plan on hiking the Connecticut part of the AT in 2004. I am looking for advice on the best time of year to hike that section.
Thank you!

Lone Wolf
10-13-2003, 09:29
Mid September.

max patch
10-13-2003, 09:41
If you want to hike during peak fall foliage season the ATC suggests October 1 thru October 18.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/pdfs/ATFallFoliage.pdf

poison_ivy
10-13-2003, 09:45
I would also suggest either late September or early October. Last year, the foliage was beautiful in CT during this time frame (I haven't been down there this year.) Also, it gets you away from the bugs!

- Ivy

Kerosene
10-13-2003, 12:32
Ya gotta do early October -- changing foliage, no bugs, few people on the Trail...Autumn hiking is the best!

B Thrash
10-13-2003, 19:29
I just hiked CT and MA 12 September to 26 September 2003. There was no color during this time frame, suggest from 1 October to 10 October for the peak of color. Do not try to hike during July or August, it can get very hot in these states.

Trailjockey
10-19-2003, 00:26
I too just completed a walk from Mnt. Race in Mass. thru Ct. to the N.Y. state line. Sept 26 thru Oct 1.
If you got the time you should try to include the southern stretch of Mass. You`ll get some spectacular views(not to be missed) on top walking the ridge lines and it`s only an extra 8-10 miles if you enter at Race Brook Trail. About 2 1/2 miles long.
I would say Sept. and Oct. are the most favorable times to hike this area. Keep in mind that late Sept. thru Oct. is the wet season around here and nights can also get quite frosty. Daytime temps are normally 60`s and 70`s, occasionally only reaching into the 50`s. Night time temps can be from the low to mid 30`s to as high as the mid 50`s. June can be warm, but July and Aug. are oppressive. The temps may be something your use to but the humidity will knock your sox off. 80 to 90 temps with 80 to 90% humidity. Somtimes you don`t have to move to get a good sweat going.
April and May are good. Similar to Sept and Oct.
We had 2 inches of rain the second night out, so all the brooks and streams were high. Water never becomes an issue and it has the longest flatest stretch of the entire A.T..
There are a couple of towns that are easy access from the trail. so resupply is simple.
Get an up-to-date copy of the A.T. Thru-Hiker`s Companion and you`ll know where and when you can get off the trail for supply, medical emergencies and maybe different sleeping arrangements.
Hope this all helps!
Have a safe hike and maybe we`ll see you out on the trail.

Tin Man
10-19-2003, 10:58
I live near the CT AT and I agree with the others that suggest early to mid Oct. It can get chilly at night and beware campfires are not permitted on the AT in CT.

texashiker
10-19-2003, 11:16
How long does it take to hike Connecticut?

Thanks for all your help!

jlb2012
10-19-2003, 16:26
from the ATC site Conn. has a bit over 50 miles of trail for the AT and the difficulty is mid level so depending on your hiking speed it could be any where from 2 to 5 + days to hike it. Personally I hike a bit on the slow side so I would probably schedule 5 days to enjoy Conn.

ATC notes on Conn. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/trail/conn.html)

greyowl
10-20-2003, 08:02
Just finished a section this past weekend (Pawling NY to Kent CT). THe colors have not quite reached their peak. Cold nights , pleasant day saturday, sunday rain and cold. Met two south bounders, a couple of section hikers, a couple of day hikers and a work croo. Great hike!!!

Grey Owl

PS CT is a little tougher than it looks on the map. Being old and slightly out of shape I would allow 5 days. I think that a fit person could do it in three to four days.

Cabo
10-27-2003, 18:09
Trailjockey: good suggestion to include the southern portion of Mass.
It is well worth the extra miles as you will pass thru Sages Ravine and top Mount Race, Everett, Bushnell before descending off the ridge at Jug End. The NY-NJ Trails Conference has a good map which includes this area (South Taconic Trails. Map # 14) which has all of the side trails, etc on it.
The only time I would avoid this section of the trail is during mud season (Mar-Apr). Fall is great and the summer isn't that bad. Coming from Houston you are used to the heat and humidity. I hiked up there in early July of this year (03) and it was quite pleasant. I don't remember the dates but it was the week after the 4th. In 02 I hiked about the same time and it was cool, overcast and breezy which made the hiking pleasant but the exposed peaks a little cool. The weather can be pretty unpredictable up there so good luck.
KB