PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking workshop info... please help

soulshine26
07-07-2007, 20:56
I am new to the forum, and after reading the numerous posts I wish I had known about this site a long time ago!

My husband and I just moved to Savannah, GA. Before our son was born (little over 2 years ago) we did a great deal of hiking and camping. I was an outdoor enthusiast long before I met him, even, doing several multi-day hikes in western NC. Neither of us have been on a serious trip in at least 3 years but we are planning to do Amicoala Falls to Springer Mountain to Woody Gap the weekend of our wedding anniversary Aug 3-6.

I'd like to find a backpacking workshop to take to refresh our skills before we hit the trail and try to undertake a major hike like that after not doing any trips in such a long time. All of our gear is practically brand new. We bought a bunch of stuff before our last trip we took (just before I found out I was preggers with my son). Anyone know of any such workshop in the Savannah, GA area between now and then? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Skidsteer
07-07-2007, 21:18
You could check with the REI's in Atlanta (http://www.rei.com/FindStores?state=GA&radius=900).

Cuffs
07-07-2007, 22:23
Theres 2 in Alabama in September. One in Birmingham and one in LA (lower AL) near Conecuh Forest. Need info, send me a PM!

soulshine26
07-07-2007, 22:23
That's a little far, but it's good to know they offer all those workshops! Thank you for the information! I appreciate it! :) Charleston, SC has one at the CCPRC, but it's not until September.

jrwiesz
07-08-2007, 00:46
I am new to the forum, and after reading the numerous posts I wish I had known about this site a long time ago!

My husband and I just moved to Savannah, GA. Before our son was born (little over 2 years ago) we did a great deal of hiking and camping. I was an outdoor enthusiast long before I met him, even, doing several multi-day hikes in western NC. Neither of us have been on a serious trip in at least 3 years but we are planning to do Amicoala Falls to Springer Mountain to Woody Gap the weekend of our wedding anniversary Aug 3-6.

I'd like to find a backpacking workshop to take to refresh our skills before we hit the trail and try to undertake a major hike like that after not doing any trips in such a long time. All of our gear is practically brand new. We bought a bunch of stuff before our last trip we took (just before I found out I was preggers with my son). Anyone know of any such workshop in the Savannah, GA area between now and then? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

I don't know of any workshops, maybe try NOLS website, they may offer one in your area. The next best thing might be to go to your local library. Get some backpacking books and read-up on the latest and newest things. Perhaps the library has "Backpacker magazine", they frequently have articles of interest. A couple of books that may help are: "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher, or "Beyond Backpacking" by Ray Jardine. I'm sure there are many more to choose from. But, with only a month before you intend to go, you might have the best luck with the "brush-up" by reading as compared with trying to find an actual backpacking workshop.
Good luck, and have a Happy Anniversary!:sun

soulshine26
07-08-2007, 00:53
Funny you say that, I actually pulled out a few of my Falcon guides and our old camp journal earlier to refresh my memory. That's a great idea. I have heard of the book by Jardine before and have been told it's great. I might just visit Amazon.com and check that out now. Thanks! :)

Cuffs
07-08-2007, 16:40
Also try some local groups. We're fortunate to have 3 or 4 in AL, so there should be some over there in GA.

GATC for one... theres also a singles hiking group out of ATL...

orangebug
07-08-2007, 16:53
Consider coming to one of the RUCKs this winter. The Southern RUCK (SORUCK also known as the gathering of the usual suspects) is held on MLK Weekend, probably at NOC in western NC. This can be a very good place to compare ideas, look at gear and get other connections for local hikes.

Of course the best workshop is your very own. Plan an overnight backyard "hike" with your family to see what gear you will need for a couple of meals and overnight. If the weather gets very bad, go indoors. Consider going to one of the state parks (SC or GA in your area with primitive camping.

Then,, make a decision on an overnight hike, like Pine Mtn in central west Georgia or head on up to NOGA and try a short section of AT. I had a delightful time on Pine Mtn last week over the holiday. It could be done in a single day by a person, but it much more fun as a 2 night short walk trail. It is fairly easy to find water, even in this drought.

soulshine26
07-08-2007, 22:17
Consider coming to one of the RUCKs this winter. The Southern RUCK (SORUCK also known as the gathering of the usual suspects) is held on MLK Weekend, probably at NOC in western NC. This can be a very good place to compare ideas, look at gear and get other connections for local hikes.

Of course the best workshop is your very own. Plan an overnight backyard "hike" with your family to see what gear you will need for a couple of meals and overnight. If the weather gets very bad, go indoors. Consider going to one of the state parks (SC or GA in your area with primitive camping.

Then,, make a decision on an overnight hike, like Pine Mtn in central west Georgia or head on up to NOGA and try a short section of AT. I had a delightful time on Pine Mtn last week over the holiday. It could be done in a single day by a person, but it much more fun as a 2 night short walk trail. It is fairly easy to find water, even in this drought.

That sounds like a wonderful idea. We had talked about doing a weekend trip somewhere in the lowcountry. But to me, lowcountry hiking just isn't the kind of hiking I enjoy. No hills, too much civilization, and MOSQUITOES!!! It would be good practice though. I'll just have to bathe in an elixir of deet and tomato juice.

Jack Tarlin
07-09-2007, 15:51
It's a bit of a haul from Savannah, but it'd be VERY worthwhile to attend the annual ALDHA hiker Gathering in Gettysburg PA this October. This is a great thing to do for prospective long-distance hikers. Check out www.aldha.org for details on the 2007 Gathering; there will be lots more information posted at that address, including a complete schedule of events, lectures, workshops, etc., as it gets closer to the event.

twosticks
07-09-2007, 16:33
I'd say wing it. You've got some hiking under your belt, and I'd say the harder you hit your head against the wall, the bigger the lesson you learn.

Jack Tarlin
07-09-2007, 16:42
Plenty of folks"wing it" on the A.T. I've met people who had great hikes, whose first night in the woods, ever, was on top of Springer Mountain.

On the other hand, the better informed you are, and the more knowledgable you are about what you're attempting, the better off you are.

I've met plenty of well-meaning, earnest, yet woe-fully ill-prepared folks in Georgia, who hit their heads against a wall for a week or two.

Then they got tired of the sore heads, and they quit.

If Soulshine is interested in a "refresher" course, or is interested in a seminar, lecture, or event that could help with her planning, well so much the better. Thing is, EVERYONE thinks they are an expert when it comes to the outdoors. It takes a humble person ......and a very wise one.....to acknowledge that they still have something to learn.

soulshine26
07-09-2007, 23:58
If Soulshine is interested in a "refresher" course, or is interested in a seminar, lecture, or event that could help with her planning, well so much the better. Thing is, EVERYONE thinks they are an expert when it comes to the outdoors. It takes a humble person ......and a very wise one.....to acknowledge that they still have something to learn.

;)Thanks, Jack. Never stop learning! That's what I say! And thank you for the info on the PA meeting. I checked out that website earlier and told my husband to try and clear his schedule for that weekend. That is a GREAT excuse for a road trip. My brother in law lives in MD, and it might be a good time to go and visit on the way up/down.

Even though I have some backpacking experience, I'm a bit rusty after a 3 year hiatus. I like being prepared. Plus, I have a bit more experience than my hubby does in backpacking. I taught him most everything he knows about it. :D Seriously, the first trip we ever took together... I watched him try to start a fire by setting two starter logs on fire and tossing it atop a firepit full of damp wood. So in all honestly, the workshop is as much for him as it is for me. But don't tell him I said that. hahaha...

Outlaw
07-10-2007, 08:29
...the better informed you are, and the more knowledgable you are about what you're attempting, the better off you are. It takes a humble person ......and a very wise one.....to acknowledge that they still have something to learn.

Jack, you are so right except for the timing. Soulshine said she wants to do a 3 day hike (Aug. 3-6), so the ALDHA gathering in October won't do her or her husband much good for their upcoming hike. Also, Soulshine didn't say anything about doing the entire AT or even a significant section, which I suspect would be very difficult with a little one in tow.

Soulshine, If you already have some experience under your belt, albeit somewhat dated, you can probably refresh your memory and gain some good advise by doing some reading then doing an overnight or two and maybe a full two nights on a local trail. Practice all your skills, including cooking, firemaking, shelter building, water gathering, etc. during these trial hikes and your "serious" hike in August will be a breeze.

The ALDHA gathering in October is still a great idea. You & your hubby should look into attending if possible.

soulshine26
07-10-2007, 10:39
Jack, you are so right except for the timing. Soulshine said she wants to do a 3 day hike (Aug. 3-6), so the ALDHA gathering in October won't do her or her husband much good for their upcoming hike. Also, Soulshine didn't say anything about doing the entire AT or even a significant section, which I suspect would be very difficult with a little one in tow.

Thanks for the tips, Outlaw. I think we are definitely going to do a 'trial trip' before we go in August. Our goal actually is to section hike the entire trail sometime before we retire. That gives us about a 30 year window to get it done. Although I realize the ALDA gathering isn't until October, I think we will still make plans to go to it because we could use the information if we are going to try to tackle the whole trail in the next 30 years. :) It's definitely harder with a little one, but once he gets older, he'll be out there on the trail with us. I plan to raise him in the outdoors!

Outlaw
07-10-2007, 14:25
It's definitely harder with a little one. I plan to raise him in the outdoors!

Gee, I hope once he is housebroken, you'll let him sleep indoors! It still gets cold at night in Savannah. :eek: LOL. Sorry, Soulshine, I just couldn't resist.

I gather you are not planning on taking your son along on your outing in August. Hope you & your hubby have a nice anniversary get-away. My wife & I just celebrated #24 yesterday. :D

Appalachian Tater
07-10-2007, 14:31
Honestly, it sounds like you have enough experience not to need a workshop prior to a three-day hike.

Jack Tarlin
07-11-2007, 13:25
Soulshine--

I can't remember if anyone's mentioned this yet, and I don't have time to re-read the whole thread, but in my neck of the woods, some of the larger Outfitters offer free lectures and workshops of the sort you're describing. If
there's a big store near where you live, like an Eastern Mountain Sports or something similar, I'd ask them if they have anything planned, or they might know about somewhere else. Also, if there's an Adult Education program near you, they might offer something useful; likewise, if you live near a college or University, you can contact their Outing or Outdoors Club, if there is one.

Or, you could just head out there with what you already know,and I bet you'll do fine! Have a great trip and let us know how it went.

soulshine26
07-11-2007, 13:54
Soulshine--

I can't remember if anyone's mentioned this yet, and I don't have time to re-read the whole thread, but in my neck of the woods, some of the larger Outfitters offer free lectures and workshops of the sort you're describing. If
there's a big store near where you live, like an Eastern Mountain Sports or something similar, I'd ask them if they have anything planned, or they might know about somewhere else. Also, if there's an Adult Education program near you, they might offer something useful; likewise, if you live near a college or University, you can contact their Outing or Outdoors Club, if there is one.

Or, you could just head out there with what you already know,and I bet you'll do fine! Have a great trip and let us know how it went.

Thanks, Jack! Everyone on here is so super helpful! I wish my classmates and professors in nursing school could be this helpful! ;)

I am unfamiliar with the outfitters around Savannah, other than Half Moon, but they might offer something. I will check to see what I can find. My husband has begged me to move our trip up to the beginning of November so we can take the heat element out of our trip, so that is what we are going to do. That way, we can go to the workshop in Charleston in September, the AT workshop in PA in October, and do some weekend trips to warm up in the meantime. This weekend we are going to camp at either Santee state park or Sesquintenial (sp?) state park in Columbia, SC. We are headed up for a sporting event w/ our old church and plan to do some camping and hiking (maybe even fishing) while we are there. There is a killer outfitter store in Columbia called The Backpacker, so we are going to look at their schedule while we're there. I know they offer paddling instruction classes. We are taking our son along for this trip. It will be his first camping trip! I am so excited!!!:D

Jack Tarlin
07-11-2007, 14:05
November is a GREAT time to hike......just bring warm clothes, good wet-weather gear, and plenty of blaze orange. Fall hiking can be GREAT: Good weather (usually); no bugs; and best of all, no other people!

Hope to see you guys in Gettysburg for the Gathering. I'll be giving a talk for prospective long-distance A.T. hikers. Feel free to sit in and take part, or you can just come to heckle.....all my friends do!

soulshine26
07-11-2007, 14:23
November is a GREAT time to hike......just bring warm clothes, good wet-weather gear, and plenty of blaze orange. Fall hiking can be GREAT: Good weather (usually); no bugs; and best of all, no other people!

Hope to see you guys in Gettysburg for the Gathering. I'll be giving a talk for prospective long-distance A.T. hikers. Feel free to sit in and take part, or you can just come to heckle.....all my friends do!

I couldn't agree more. Fall is by far the best hiking weather. Thanks for all the info, and we'll be sure to attend your talk if we make it to Gettysburg!