PDA

View Full Version : Is this feasible?

soulshine26
07-08-2007, 12:52
Here is the layout of our Section 1 trip, planned for the beginning of August.
I found this layout of the section 1 hike online and found it very useful in terms of information:

Is it feasible to do the approach trail to Springer, then on to Hawk Mtn shelter to spend the night, and do the remaining portion of the hike the next day? We will end at Woody Gap. That's about 28 miles in 2 days, which normally would be fairly easy, but I understand that the approach trail is nothing to sneer at. Based on the elevation changes on this chart, looks like we will be climbing a good bit.

This is our first "major" hike in nearly 3 years. Should this be a 3 or 4 day trip instead? We have friends going with us who are active hikers, so I'm hoping that having the extra experience along for the hike will push us to finish it up in a weekend.

Are we setting ourselves up for disaster (and failure)? I'm famous for being overly optimistic and then hating myself for it later.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2007, 13:00
it's feasible but what's the rush? i would do the approach-stover creek, stover creek-justus creek, justus creek-woody gap.

briarpatch
07-08-2007, 13:05
I agree with LW, the schedule he lays out is a lot more reasonable, especially with the summer heat.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2007, 13:07
it's feasible but what's the rush? i would do the approach-stover creek, stover creek-justus creek, justus creek-woody gap.

11.3 first day, 11.1 the second, 6.3 the third. guaranteed water the first 2 days

soulshine26
07-08-2007, 13:20

This is our wedding anniversary trip. We wanted to do a hike over the weekend with friends, and then spend a couple of nights alone in a cabin with a hot tub to recuperate before returning home to pick up our son from his grandma's. Being away from our 2 year old is the only rush. We haven't done a trip since he was born and I'm just a little anxious about leaving him for more than 4 days. Typical worried-mommy-syndrome.

I like your layout, though. That will probably be much better on us in the summer heat.

buckowens
07-08-2007, 17:21
Lone Wolf is right. You may even want to hang out at Long Creek Falls for a bit...

Also, for your worried side, I had cell coverage most days except when overnighting at Hickory Flats and Justus Creek. We were going at my little ones pace so we were making 10 mile days at the most, and not until the second week. My wife was a bit concerned about me having her little girl out for 11 days!! Had to check in regular...

There is a really cozy spot with campsites next to a babbling brook at Justus Creek. There is a picture in my gallery of the one we used.

soulshine26
07-08-2007, 22:12
Lone Wolf is right. You may even want to hang out at Long Creek Falls for a bit...

Also, for your worried side, I had cell coverage most days except when overnighting at Hickory Flats and Justus Creek. We were going at my little ones pace so we were making 10 mile days at the most, and not until the second week. My wife was a bit concerned about me having her little girl out for 11 days!! Had to check in regular...

There is a really cozy spot with campsites next to a babbling brook at Justus Creek. There is a picture in my gallery of the one we used.

Thanks for the info! Good to know there is cell service there, that puts my mind at ease a bit. I'll have to check out that Justus Creek campsite in your gallery, thanks!

pyroman53
07-14-2007, 08:39
Any decent tent sites near Stover Creek?

Lone Wolf
07-14-2007, 13:20
Any decent tent sites near Stover Creek?

yup. plenty.

pyroman53
07-15-2007, 10:37
Thanks Wolf. Continuing on (I'm planning to do Approach Trail to Unicoi Gap in September), there doesn't seem to be much water in the Jarrard Gap area, which is where my next night would be. Any suggestions? You figure the water situation will be better by then?