PDA

View Full Version : MSR Waterworks EX

soulshine26
07-08-2007, 15:25
I have been dragging out our gear all day and inspecting it to see what we need to update or replace for our upcoming section 1 hike in GA. The filter I have was bought in 2001, brand new, and is a MSR Waterworks filter. I was always very pleased with it. We used it from 2001 to 2004, always cleaning the filter and parts after every trip.

When I looked it up online, I see that a new version is out- the 'EX'. I'm wondering if maybe it's time to buy another one. Even though the old one worked just fine, it is now 6 years old. If there's anything that I want to be totally comfortable with using, it's a water filter.

I see there are several options in the MSR line. There is a 'sweetwater' line, that encompasses a system of filtering for bacteria and then treating with chemicals for viruses. If I get the EX model (which is in the 'waterworks' line), will it protect against viruses too or should I buy the additional chemicals? The product review does not indicate that it protects against viruses, but it doesn't indicate anything additional be purchased for safely consuming water, either.

Anyone have opinions/suggestions on this filter or others? I just like MSR products, I have quite a few MSR products within my gear and have always been pleased with their performance.

Chaco Taco
07-08-2007, 15:38
Katadyn Hiker is good. I agree, MSR has great stuff. I depend on them for my cooking gear. I like the Katadyn because they are strickly made by a filter company, Brita. I think thats right.
I did hike with someone that used the sweetwater and the only complaint was the fold out pump handle and the fact that you are using chemicals. The handle was a little weak. With my Hiker, I only have to filter and its super light. The new Vario is really cool as well.
Anyway, that just what I think.

Quoddy
07-08-2007, 16:17
I like the Katadyn because they are strickly made by a filter company, Brita. I think thats right.

Just slightly off on that... it's PUR, not Brita.

I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro and just added a 1oz MSR (Sweetwater) prefilter between the wide mesh prefilter already on the PRO and the main filter itself. The MSR prefilter can be backwashed, so I should be able to get a lot of use out of the main PRO filter between changes.

Panzer1
07-09-2007, 00:32
At a miminum I would test your old filter in your sink at home just to make sure it still pumps.

Panzer

peanuts
07-09-2007, 10:27
keep your current msr, i still use mine and its the original that came out a looong time ago. so long i don't remember. your sure still work if you cleaned it the last time you used it. also, just lubricate the parts that need lubrication. do you have the repair kit for the msr, if not buy a kit, it will have all the necessary parts that need replacing, including the silicone!
hope this help!

campbell
07-09-2007, 12:38
I recently used a MSR Sweetwater for my hike from Amicalola Falls through the Smokys and the Sweetwater quit pumping at the first shelter in in the Smokys. Lucky for me there were a lot of nice people to filter water for me and I stocked up at Newfound Gap with tap water.

I had two engineers look at the Sweetwater and they both said an internal float or valve had stuck and there is no way to get to it. I was very disappointed because I purchased the Sweetwater new for my hike and left my old Katadyn at home, which appears to have been a mistake.

littlelaurel59
07-09-2007, 19:59
I did hike with someone that used the sweetwater and the only complaint was the fold out pump handle and the fact that you are using chemicals. The handle was a little weak.

I have a Sweetwater and cannot say enough good things about it. It is lightweight. I have had no mechanical problems with it. I take it on BSA trips where it gets used a lot. With the lever handle minmal force is required such that I never get tired pumping after a few liters. The cartridge is stored in a freezer; therefore, I never worry about the unit freezing on a winter trip.

It is true that the Sweetwater does not eliminate viruses. That can be done chemically (bleach, essentially). However, viruses (Hepatitis A, primarily) is not a pathogen to worry about in the American backcountry.

soulshine26
07-09-2007, 23:51
Thanks for all the feedback and tips, guys. I really appreciate it. I am totally diggin' this whiteblaze site. Tons of useful information and super friendly fellow hikers.

Lots to think about on this water filter thing...

greentick
07-09-2007, 23:57
...It is true that the Sweetwater does not eliminate viruses. That can be done chemically (bleach, essentially). However, viruses (Hepatitis A, primarily) is not a pathogen to worry about in the American backcountry.

You can get vaccinated for Hepatitis A (food and waterborne). Years ago in the army I made some extra bucks in the final stages of human testing for the vaccine and other than this totally useful third arm I am OK.:D

greentick
07-09-2007, 23:59
Rats. Got to get my dues paid back up so I can edit. You are more likely to get Hep A at an AYCE buffet than on the AT.