PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington

modiyooch
07-08-2007, 18:21
As my trip to the Whites nears, I have been monitoring the weather at Mt Washington. Lately it has been 40 degrees with winds 25-60 mph, and rain.

What was the conditions at Mt Washington when you went through?

The Solemates
07-08-2007, 21:16
As my trip to the Whites nears, I have been monitoring the weather at Mt Washington. Lately it has been 40 degrees with winds 25-60 mph, and rain.

What was the conditions at Mt Washington when you went through?

35-40 degrees, 70 mile an hour sustained winds, one 134 mile an hour gust, and lightening. the rangers closed the mountain.

KG4FAM
07-08-2007, 21:47
45 degrees, 40 mph sustained wind with 50 mph gust.
that was on august 14th last year

Lone Wolf
07-08-2007, 22:19
just plan for bad weather, doesn't matter what others experienced any given year or month.

modiyooch
07-08-2007, 22:24
don't worry. I'm going regardless, and I plan to be warm and dry. Just curious. I hope that I can come back and report 70 degrees and sunny. We will see.

fiddlehead
07-08-2007, 22:36
Last time i was up there, it was November, calm, temps about 50, with little wind. Beautiful day. Time before that, it was August, temps around 30, winds around 60, typical day i believe.
So, you never know what kind of day you're going to have up there. And of course, if you don't like it, wait a few minutes, it will change.

bullseye
07-08-2007, 22:47
End of June, 40 degrees, rain, fog, 30 mph-40mph gusts. Went over Madison same time of year, 35 degrees 60mph winds, clouds, 10 feet vis., kinda cool and heartpounding at the same time.

Peaks
07-09-2007, 09:29
I've been on Washington when it's sunny and no wind, dressed in shorts and short sleeves. I've also been holed up in Lakes of the Clouds Hut when it's cold and rainy and windy.

There are more lousy weather days on Washington then there are good weather days. Be prepared for the worse and hope for the best.

Kerosene
07-09-2007, 20:42
You pray for a clear day and you prepare for the worst.

Hikerhead and I had what had to be one of the best days in recorded history: Undercast in the morning with the high peaks poking through, clearing by afternoon, absolutely no wind (the anemometer at Lakes of the Crowds Hut never moved), with temps in the mid-50s in the middle of September 2006. Here's a link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=searchresults&searchid=9030) to the pictures I took.

Of course, if I hadn't lugged all the emergency stuff we would've gotten caught in a lightning storm or blizzard, or a blizzard with snow lightning. Frankly I can't imagine trying to rock-hop down Mt. Madison in rain/snow, heavy fog and high winds.

modiyooch
09-01-2007, 08:53
Aug 18, 2007 While climbing Mt Washington: temps in the 30s, wind chill in the 20s, 70 mph gale winds (94 mph and snow at summit), icy rain, low visibility, no lightning. Part of the mt shut down (train and bike race). Cold and icy rocks at the summit on the 19th, then the weather cleared by noon. woot woot-outstanding views from mt Jefferson looking back at mt washington.

modiyooch
09-01-2007, 08:54
ps. hike up to lake of the clouds in those conditions was the hardest thing that i have ever done in my life.

warraghiyagey
09-01-2007, 09:15
Last August 66 degrees, sunny and barely a breeze, the rangers said they get about three days a year like that up there. This year, 1st week of July about 60 degrees, sunny and 10mph winds. I've been blessed in that regard hiking over Washington, much to the Chagrin of the AMC and NH in general who see the mountains as a cash cow and thru hikers as an inconvenience- at best.
Given the history of peril on the mountain, they've curiously decided that if a hiker wants a look at the radar/satellite up there they now have to pay three dollars to see it. Last year they were out in full and free view of the public.
And you can't count on the employees up there to tell you the truth about the weather. They said there was a bad storm coming and we would have to run to Lakes if we wanted to beat it. There was no storm.
The AMC and the state of NH always looking to make the trail experience through those beautiful mountains taste less sweet.
They seem to regard the Appalachian trail as the bastard step child they would rather consign to the dungeon.
Gdam you AMC. You could learn a few beautiful things from the late Gov. Baxter of Maine!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Roland
09-01-2007, 09:18
Aug 18, 2007 While climbing Mt Washington: temps in the 30s, wind chill in the 20s, 70 mph gale winds (94 mph and snow at summit), icy rain, low visibility, no lightning. Part of the mt shut down (train and bike race). Cold and icy rocks at the summit on the 19th, then the weather cleared by noon. woot woot-outstanding views from mt Jefferson looking back at mt washington.

The low of 29F is the record low for that date (August 19). The 94 mph gust, was the highest windspeed recorded in August 07.

You picked a good day to hike ol' George!

wakapak
09-01-2007, 09:39
last time i was up there, it was around 50 degress on top, unbelievably clear and only a 2mph windspeed....extremely eerie for the top of Washington, but beautiful all the same!

modiyooch
09-01-2007, 09:40
last time i was up there, it was around 50 degress on top, unbelievably clear and only a 2mph windspeed....extremely eerie for the top of Washington, but beautiful all the same!
bite me...

wakapak
09-01-2007, 09:44
hey, it's always a gamble! that was like 5 years ago too!

Earl Grey
09-01-2007, 09:53
Oh man I surely lucked out going through the Presedentials this year. I summited Washington on July 26, 2007 in absolutely perfect weather. The day before I did work for stay at Lakes Of The Clouds and from there I could see the summit perfectly. The next morning on the 26th I left after washing dishes and got up there around 11 something with temps in the 60s and I had shorts and tshirt on no problem.

http://uncc.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32874743&id=36605781&l=7f006

This picture shows how nice it was.

modiyooch
09-01-2007, 13:15
I can't complain. I had ideal conditions on Katahdin August 2006.

Quiet Chuck
09-01-2007, 21:54
There are more lousy weather days on Washington then there are good weather days. Be prepared for the worse and hope for the best.

Batting 500 on Washington, 2 good days 2 bad. The weather up there makes you feel small.

By the way that's Lake of the Crowds..

The Old Fhart
09-01-2007, 23:17
Warraghiyagey-"The AMC and the state of NH always looking to make the trail experience through those beautiful mountains taste less sweet."Exactly the opposite. The perceived problem you see is that the WMNF, AMC, and State of NH doesn't cater to an insignificant elite group (i.e., thru hikers) but instead try to provide what they feel is the best experience for the vast majority of the people using the area.

As someone who has probably been on Mount Washington more than anyone else here (I lived on the summit), I have some idea who uses the mountain and know you can't cater to the whims of a few transients.;)

warraghiyagey
09-02-2007, 15:08
Exactly the opposite. The perceived problem you see is that the WMNF, AMC, and State of NH doesn't cater to an insignificant elite group (i.e., thru hikers) but instead try to provide what they feel is the best experience for the vast majority of the people using the area.

As someone who has probably been on Mount Washington more than anyone else here (I lived on the summit), I have some idea who uses the mountain and know you can't cater to the whims of a few transients.;)

I'm not sure I see your point. The TVs were out in plain view of the public to see the weather radar. Which means it cost them money to move all that equipment. Not sure where your catering theory fits in with these facts.
Also not sure where insulting hikers makes your point either. I've not known any thrus that have the entitled attitude of being elite. They are by and large a great group of people with a much better collective energy than the general public.
And the TVs that allow hikers to view the coming weather themselves on these self professed dangerous mountain were not the whim of the hikers or transients as you say. Being able to see oncoming weather on the radar was helpful to all the visitors as it was not just hikers that were watching them when I was there.
If there is any catering to be discussed it's to the pockets the entities you mentioned. They were in view of the public and the public used them. Now you have to pay to see them.
Not sure what your point was other than to insult hikers. You picked a curious site to do so.
Hope your memories of living on Mt. Washington are as delicious as my memories (and I'm sure all hikers) are of having climbed it.
Peace:)

The Old Fhart
09-02-2007, 16:35
Warraghiyagey –“I'm not sure I see your point.”
I’m not surprised

Warraghiyagey –“And you can't count on the employees up there to tell you the truth about the weather.”
The people on the summit aren’t there to give you a personalized weather report. Just like at the huts, the weather is posted every morning where non-lazy people can read it. You want more detailed weather up there, join the Observatory. BTW, “the truth about the weather” doesn’t exist, there are predictions and probabilities only; plus you insinuating people on the summit are lying to you about the weather because you're a thru hiker is both laughable and sad at the same time.

Warraghiyagey-“ The TVs were out in plain view of the public to see the weather radar. Which means it cost them money to move all that equipment. Not sure where your catering theory fits in with these facts.”
If you had paid attention you would know that the TVs are the property of the Mount Washington Observatory. If you’d like to donate to this non-profit organization, to help them move all that equipment, go to mountwashington.org. So far all of your 'facts' have been absolutely wrong-completely false.

Warraghiyagey-“ Also not sure where insulting hikers makes your point either. I've not known any thrus that have the entitled attitude of being elite."

This is a common theme on WB. Do your research. I wasn’t insulting hikers, I was commenting on the feeling of entitlement of a small group that think that their hiking the A.T. makes them special-it doesn’t. Plus it was you that stated: “The AMC and the state of NH always looking to make the trail experience through those beautiful mountains taste less sweet.” And “I've been blessed in that regard hiking over Washington, much to the Chagrin of the AMC and NH in general who see the mountains as a cash cow and thru hikers as an inconvenience- at best.” Sounds like you expect everyone to cater to you and, by not bending over backwards for you, they are destroying your trail experience.

Also please explain how some service a private non-profit organization does or doesn’t provide INSIDE a building destroys anyone’s ‘trail experience.” :-?

warraghiyagey
09-02-2007, 18:22
I’m not surprised

The people on the summit aren’t there to give you a personalized weather report. Just like at the huts, the weather is posted every morning where non-lazy people can read it. You want more detailed weather up there, join the Observatory. BTW, “the truth about the weather” doesn’t exist, there are predictions and probabilities only; plus you insinuating people on the summit are lying to you about the weather because you're a thru hiker is both laughable and sad at the same time.

If you had paid attention you would know that the TVs are the property of the Mount Washington Observatory. If you’d like to donate to this non-profit organization, to help them move all that equipment, go to mountwashington.org. So far all of your 'facts' have been absolutely wrong-completely false.

This is a common theme on WB. Do your research. I wasn’t insulting hikers, I was commenting on the feeling of entitlement of a small group that think that their hiking the A.T. makes them special-it doesn’t. Plus it was you that stated: “The AMC and the state of NH always looking to make the trail experience through those beautiful mountains taste less sweet.” And “I've been blessed in that regard hiking over Washington, much to the Chagrin of the AMC and NH in general who see the mountains as a cash cow and thru hikers as an inconvenience- at best.” Sounds like you expect everyone to cater to you and, by not bending over backwards for you, they are destroying your trail experience.

Also please explain how some service a private non-profit organization does or doesn’t provide INSIDE a building destroys anyone’s ‘trail experience.” :-?

Wow, all this is exactly the negative energy recieved at Mount Washington and through the Whites in general with the exception of a few very graceful hut crews.
Sorry you're so angry. Really. Once again,
Peace:)

Lone Wolf
09-02-2007, 18:29
you're the negative and elite one. fhart is hardly an angry person. really, too bad you think you are special. peace :)

JAK
09-02-2007, 18:32
I think we've all paid enough traffic tolls through the "Live Free or Die" state that we are all entitled to complain just a little. And just for the record, I've never complained about their gas and booze prices.

The Old Fhart
09-02-2007, 19:02
warraghiyagey-"Wow, all this is exactly the negative energy recieved at Mount Washington and through the Whites in general with the exception of a few very graceful hut crews. Sorry you're so angry."Let's see, you bitched about the AMC, WMNF, State of NH, said "Gdam you AMC" and when I pointed out you're totally ignorant about what you're complaining about, you try to avoid saying you made a fool of yourself by claiming that I'm angry!:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 13:19
Let's see, you bitched about the AMC, WMNF, State of NH, said "Gdam you AMC" and when I pointed out you're totally ignorant about what you're complaining about, you try to avoid saying you made a fool of yourself by claiming that I'm angry!:rolleyes:

Yeah, I pretty muched begged out of my argument. It didn't feel at all good to be in it and I take my responsibilty for having been in it. Peace.:)

naturejunkie
09-03-2007, 14:38
Let's see, you bitched about the AMC, WMNF, State of NH, said "Gdam you AMC" and when I pointed out you're totally ignorant about what you're complaining about, you try to avoid saying you made a fool of yourself by claiming that I'm angry!:rolleyes:

Interesting interpretation.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 14:45
Interesting interpretation.

Thanks Chris. That's what I thought too but, c'est la vie.:)