PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap to Dick's Creek Gap

SteveJ
07-08-2007, 22:27
Hi, all. Scott and I are planning to do Woody Gap to Dick's Creek Gap next week. I'm thinking that Sunday morning we'll drive to Dick's Creek Gap and meet a shuttle. Take the shuttle to Woody Gap and hit the trail, hopefully by 10:00 or so (I'm not sure how long the shuttle will take, yet). Our initial plan:

Day 1: Woody Gap to Blood Mtn summit 8.2 miles
Day 2: Blood Mtn to Whitley Gap shelter 10.1 miles
Day 3: Whitley Gap Shelter to Jack's Knob trail 11.1 miles
Day 4: Jack's Knob trail to Tray Mtn shelter 9.9 miles
Day 5: Tray Mtn shelter to Deep Gap Shelter 7.1 miles
Day 6: Deep Gap Shelter to Dick's Creek Gap 3.5 miles

We'll be hammocking, so can be flexible about where we camp. Figured we'd aim for the shelters, since that's usually where the reliable water is. I'm a little concerned about the 10+ mile days with Scott, but this section looks flatter than Springer to Woody Gap, so am hoping that he can handle it. Phoebe won't be going with us - a little too hot for a Siberian Husky to go hiking!

Does the above seem reasonable as a plan? I've never been on this section of trail, so am relying on the data book for planning. Can we rely on the water sources listed in the data book? We've had more rain here in GA the last week or so, so I'm assuming so..... Is there anything else I should consider? Are there any campsites we should definitely stay at / blue blazes we should plan on taking? I appreciate any feedback you have!

Steve

briarpatch
07-08-2007, 22:57
There aren't a lot of places to hammock on the summit of Blood, the trees are pretty scraggly and have a good bit of undergrowth. You might want to stop on the south side where the switchbacks start up the mountain and look for a spot. Some of the tent pads there may have appropriately spaced trees. There is a campsite near where the Freeman Trail joins the AT on a bit north of Woods Hole Shelter that has a few good hammock trees, as well.

SteveJ
07-08-2007, 23:04
There aren't a lot of places to hammock on the summit of Blood, the trees are pretty scraggly and have a good bit of undergrowth. You might want to stop on the south side where the switchbacks start up the mountain and look for a spot. Some of the tent pads there may have appropriately spaced trees. There is a campsite near where the Freeman Trail joins the AT on a bit north of Woods Hole Shelter that has a few good hammock trees, as well.

Thanks, briarpatch - exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! Can you think of any overlooks toward the top of the mtn that would have suitable trees?

Steve

Skidsteer
07-08-2007, 23:08
Thanks, briarpatch - exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! Can you think of any overlooks toward the top of the mtn that would have suitable trees?

Steve

I can't think of any stout trees.

But just after the tentsites at the base of Blood is golden. To the right of the trail a couple hundred yards past the tentsites where the trail sorta veers left.

Good water too.

You know Whitley Gap is @2.5 miles off trail round trip?

SteveJ
07-09-2007, 00:36
I can't think of any stout trees.

But just after the tentsites at the base of Blood is golden. To the right of the trail a couple hundred yards past the tentsites where the trail sorta veers left.

Good water too.

You know Whitley Gap is @2.5 miles off trail round trip?

Thanks, Skidsteer - looks like we'll plan on camping at the campsites at the base of Blood Mtn. Yeah, I saw that Whitley Gap shelter is off the trail - don't know about water conditions in that section of the trail - the data book doesn't indicate water sources within a couple of miles north or south of the area, so felt I should include it in the plan. The data book indicates that the closest water south of there is Baggs Creek Gap (2 miles) and north is Low Gap Shelter (4 miles). I also didn't want to plan to camp near a road crossing. I just looked at my map, and it indicates a spring at Hogpen Gap that's not mentioned in the data book. Does anyone know if this is flowing?

OK...alternative plan:

Day 1: Woody Gap to campsites at base of Blood Mnt. 7.4 miles
Day 2: Campsites to Cowrock Mtn (water up at Baggs Creek Gap) 7.9 miles (enjoy the views)
Day 3: Cowrock Mtn to Jacks Knob Trail 10.3 miles
Day 4: Jacks Knob Trail to Tray Mtn Shelter 9.9 mles
Day 5: Tray Mtn Shelter to Deep Gap Shelter 7.1 miles

Can anyone confirm if there's water at Bagg's Creek Gap? I think I like this better - I feel better about keeping it under 10 miles a day with Scott - want to keep it fun for him!

Thanks!

Steve

Midway Sam
07-09-2007, 06:20
I just looked at my map, and it indicates a spring at Hogpen Gap that's not mentioned in the data book. Does anyone know if this is flowing?

A couple of weeks ago it was a trickle.

scope
07-09-2007, 08:07
OK...alternative plan:

Day 1: Woody Gap to campsites at base of Blood Mnt. 7.4 miles
Day 2: Campsites to Cowrock Mtn (water up at Baggs Creek Gap) 7.9 miles (enjoy the views)
Day 3: Cowrock Mtn to Jacks Knob Trail 10.3 miles
Day 4: Jacks Knob Trail to Tray Mtn Shelter 9.9 mles
Day 5: Tray Mtn Shelter to Deep Gap Shelter 7.1 miles
Steve

That 10.3 day is going to be one of your easier ones, and the 9.9 to Tray Mt. probably the hardest. Chattahoochee Gap (JKT) is smack in the middle of the flatest section of the AT in Ga. Plus, its windy there, probably not the greatest place to hammock. I'd put in another mile or two and camp at Red Clay Gap which is just south of what should be a reliable water source, or at the site at the bottom of the Blue Mt. climb which is just north of that source.

Then keep the same intenerary to Tray Mt., etc.

jesse
07-09-2007, 09:34
Whitley Gap is @2.5 miles off trail round trip

And a very steep climb out in the morning.

SteveJ
07-09-2007, 11:43
thanks for the feedback, all - it's coming together (not that we'll be able to stick to the plan!).... now to get busy dehydrating.....

Footslogger
07-09-2007, 11:47
For what it's worth ...the real issue on the summit of Blood is more the lack of water than trees to tie off a hammock. I've hammocked several times on Blood. There are several small sites beyond the old cabin off to the right where the trees are large enough and spaced well for a hammock. That said, plan on carrying ALL your water for cooking that night, breakfast and hiking out the next morning.

'Slogger

SteveJ
07-09-2007, 12:20
For what it's worth ...the real issue on the summit of Blood is more the lack of water than trees to tie off a hammock. I've hammocked several times on Blood. There are several small sites beyond the old cabin off to the right where the trees are large enough and spaced well for a hammock. That said, plan on carrying ALL your water for cooking that night, breakfast and hiking out the next morning.

'Slogger

Thanks, 'Slogger - we'll see what time we get on the trail, and what's doable the first day......I like the idea of camping up there for the views during the evening......had planned on carrying extra water containers because of what I'm hearing about dry water sources.....

Steve

Footslogger
07-09-2007, 12:24
Thanks, 'Slogger - we'll see what time we get on the trail, and what's doable the first day......I like the idea of camping up there for the views during the evening......had planned on carrying extra water containers because of what I'm hearing about dry water sources.....

Steve

======================================

Welcome ...when I lived back in Marietta I shot up to Neels Gap a lot and almost always stayed on top of Blood. Like you said ...great views and it tends to be breezier and cooler up there which is a big plus this time of year. Took my daughter up there several times and remember one site that had 2 trees perfect for a hammock and still room for a small solo tent.

'Slogger

SteveJ
07-13-2007, 00:41
OK - plan has evolved!

Day 1: Woody Gap to Woods Hole / Slaughter Creek (wherever has water) - 7.5
Day 2: Woods Hole to Cowrock Mtn: 8.3
Day 3: Cowrock to Hogpen Gap - meet buddy and his son; Hogpen Gap to Low Gap Shelter: 6.1
Day 4: Low Gap Shelter to Blue Mtn Shelter: 7.2 (buddy and son hike ahead and get off at Unicoi Gap
Day 5: Blue Mtn Shelter to Deep Gap Shelter: 7.3
Day 6: Deep Gap Shelter to Dick's Creek Gap: 3.8

Total miles: 49 or so...

I thought about our spring hike where I really regretted the days when I planned on hiking more than 10 miles with my son - decided we'd go for the enjoyment of the hike! He's a little disappointed because he wants to finish the GA section, but we'll get back up one weekend soon and go from Dick's Creek Gap to the state line and back....

AND - he finishes the requirements for the Boy Scout Backpacking merit badge before he turns 12 in August, and gets a 50 miler (I figure we'll do at least a mile or so in Blue Blazes) patch!

Also, I just finished dehydrating, etc... I have food for both of us, for all 6 days (including 12 breakfasts, 14 lunches and 12 dinners), at total weight of about 15 lbs - and that includes none of the freeze-dried, expensive crap! It looks like my total pack weight should be about 35 lbs (I'm assuming that I'll carry 4 litres of water whenever I see a water source - and then there's also that litre of Johnny Walker and 3 or 4 stogies that seem to have made it into my pack), and his at about 16 lbs....

Thanks, all, for your help in planning this! Info here has been very helpful as we've planned the trip - especially after my buddy called and said he wanted to meet up with us (he and his 13 y.o. son have never backpacked - I'm loaning him gear and planned their food...). We thought about them just sleeping in the shelter at Low Gap Shelter, so he wouldn't have to carry a tent, until I read the post about it being over-run by mice a few days ago - I thought I'd spare them that experience on their first backpacking trip!

Steve

SteveJ
07-18-2007, 15:02
Not sure if the straight-forward forum is the appropriate forum for a trip report, mods let me know if I'm in the wrong place!

We left Saturday morning, parking at Dicks Creek Gap. Leigh, from Hiker Hostel, picked us up and shuttled us to Woody Gap, where we hit the trail at about 10:15 am.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17774&c=531

We pretty quickly got to the top of Big Cedar Mtn, where we gave Mom a call since we didn't know if we'd have service north of here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17775&c=531

We made good time on the relatively easy hike into Jarrard Gap and on to the Woods Hole Shelter blue blaze. There were several springs on this section of trail that were flowing well. I brought a filter since I had heard the trail was very dry and that some of the water sources might not be flowing well. After the first use of the filter at one of the springs on this section of the trail it quit working!

A dad, his 2 sons, and their 2 friends had just set up camp at the campsite at the intersection with the blue blaze. Evidently the water source at Woods Hole was still dry. They had watered up at the Slaughter Creek spring. They also unfortunately found a large bumblebee nest near where they set up their tents... We hiked on to the spring, then the Slaughter Creek tentsites. The water source at the Slaughter Creek spring also had plenty of water. We dipped, treated, and enjoyed!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17776&c=531

We set up our hammocks at the tentsites:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17777&c=531

After a breakfast of grits, bacon, coffee, hot chocolate and granola bars, we began the hike up Blood Mtn.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17778&c=531

This pic has a pretty good view of Scott's Mountainsmith Seraph pack. The pack has worked out great for him - it easily and comfortably carries the 15 - 20 lb loads he carried on this hike.

We found the hike up Blood Mtn to be pretty quick and easy! Two hikers had slept in the shelter the night before - they were packing up as we reached the shelter. They had seen a doe come up the trail that morning. When I asked if the resident skunks had visited during the night, they looked surprised, said they knew nothing about that, but it did explain some noises they'd heard during the night!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17779

Unfortunately, it was very overcast and hazy so the views today weren't very good. We did enjoy the cool breeze at the top of the mtn!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17780&c=531

We hiked into Neel's Gap - had a "health food" lunch of Coca-Cola, vienna sausages, snicker's bars, oatmeal cream sandwiches, and crackers! Scott especially enjoyed eating his Snicker's bar first....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17781&c=531

We met a southbound hiker at Neel's Gap who had just hiked in with his 16 year old son from Dick's Creek Gap. He told us that the trail was completely dry from Low Gap Shelter to Neel's Gap, and that we should be sure to pack all the water we'd need until we got to Low Gap Shelter. We bought more Aqua Mira and had the folks at Mountain Crossings pack our filter and mail it home, then left Neel's Gap at about 1:00 with 2 gallons of water. Our goal was to camp at Cowrock Mtn that night.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17782&c=531

We got almost to the top of Levelland Mountain at about 2:00. Hearing thunder and seeing an overcast sky, we decided to stop at the campsite near the top, set up our hammocks, and take a nap during the thunderstorm. It started raining at about 2:15 and rained until after 4:00. Scott learned how to set a pot under his hammock rainfly and get a drink as we waited. We enjoyed the break / nap!

We left at about 4:30 hiked over Levelland, through Swaim Gap, over Wolf Laurel Top, and up Cowrock Mtn, arriving at about 7:00. We found 3 great trees for setting up our hammocks so the tarps could go over each other, cooked dinner (Hamburger Helper Chicken Fettucini Alfredo - which turned out more as soup, but was great!), and went to bed as thunderstorms rolled in just after dark. It rained and was windy most of the night, but we didn't have a drop in our hammocks!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17783&c=531
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17786&c=531
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17787&c=531

We left our hiking clothes on a clothesline overnight - they were still wet in the morning, but at least they had been rinsed out! We put them back on after breakfast, broke camp, and got on the trail at about 10:00. We were scheduled to meet Jeff and Cody, who were going to join us on our hike Monday and Tuesday, at Hogpen gap at 11:00. We assumed the less than 2 miles could easily be hiked in an hour. The hike up and over Wildcat Mountain was much harder than expected! The elevation profile on the AT map doesn't give the hike up Ravens Cliffs justice! This 3/4 mile hike took most of an hour... Fortunately, Jeff's shuttle misunderstood, and picked them up at 11:00, instead of 10:00, as we thought we had arranged. They drove into Hogpen Gap as we took our packs off at 11:35.

We had lunch and took a break at Hogpen Gap, then loaded up and hiked into Low Gap Shelter. This was an easy 4.25 mile hike for Jeff and Cody - their first backpacking experience....

We passed 2 large, what appeared to be rattlesnakes, curled up on a log about 3 feet off the ground and about 3 feet off the trail. I hiked by them without seeing them, then heard Scott give a shout. The snakes never reacted to us as they were wrapped up together sunning themselves on a log (I'd guesstimate them to be about 2-3 feet long, about as big as my wrist - the snakes are about 10 feet behind Scott in this pic). I was confused at first, as I've never seen a rattlesnake that was black - but they clearly had the diamond markings - doing a quick google search does confirm that timber rattlers go through a black phase.... They never rattled at us, and I didn't get close enough to poke around to be sure they had rattles!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17785&c=531

We arrived into Low Gap Shelter, picked a campsite and set up our shelters, then hung out at the shelter. Jeff and I, who go back over 20 years, but haven't seen each other in several years, celebrated with stogies and scotch...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17784&c=531

Just before dark, two hikers came into the shelter. Wheezer 2 (a whiteblazer - but I've forgotten her whiteblaze username) and Tinkerbell - 2 sisters, both from Maine I think, had been section-hiking, on the trail for 12 days. They started at Amicalola Falls, with the goal of making the state line. This was their first backpacking trip! They had done great, and were hiking well. They planned to get off the trail at Unicoi Gap. They slept in the shelter - I warned them that several southbound hikers had told us the mice were pretty bad. Just after I went to bed, I heard a yell. The next morning we found them getting out of their tent which they had set up in the shelter. The mice appear to be as bad at Low Gap Shelter as they've been reported to be!

Tinkerbell did tell us that they had found water at Hogpen Gap. The pvc pipe from the spring is dry, but they went downstream several hundred feet and found water. This appears to be the only water source currently running between Low Gap Shelter and Neel's Gap.

We had a leisurely breakfast, broke camp, and started on the trail at about 10:00. Scott and I planned to overnight at Blue Mountain Shelter, with Jeff and Cody hiking on to Unicoi Gap where their car was parked. We made great time for the first 3 miles of the hike - doing this in a little over an hour. (Scott and I had been averaging about 2 miles per hour.)

During this time, we continued to see Wheezer2 and Tinkerbell - we would take a break and they'd pass us - they'd take a break and we'd pass them. At one point about 2.5 miles north of Low Gap Shelter I caught up with them again. They told me that I had just missed seeing a big bear about 20 feet off the trail. Tinkerbell hiked past it (yes, she did have on a bear bell!), then looked up to see the bear. It was digging in the ground, apparantly eating grubs. It slowly looked up at her, with one paw in the air with a helping of grubs, then ambled off as she stood stock still and her sister scrambled for her camera. They had also seen a bear the day before on their hike into Low Gap Shelter.

We had lunch at the Jacks Knob Trail intersection at about 12:15, taking a 45 minute break for lunch. The trail north of here into Chattoohoochee Gap was no fun. It runs through undergrowth that's waist deep or deeper, with the undergrowth (much of which was poison ivy) almost overwhelming the trail. The next 3 or 4 miles were pretty tough - tougher than we anticipated looking at the elevation profile on the map. We reached Blue Mountain Shelter at about 4:15. Jeff and Cody took a short break, then began the hike down the mountain to get to their car.

Just after they left, another thunderstorm rolled in (it had rained on us intermittently throughout the trip - Scott and I had hiked in wet clothes since the first day). We were disappointed, as we'd hoped to be able to change out of our clothes, rinse out our hiking clothes, and hang them up to dry. We looked at our plan for the next day - down to Unicoi Gap, then over Rocky Mountain, through Indian Grave Gap, and over Tray Mountain to Tray Mountain Shelter.

For some reason, what should have been a relatively easy day had taken a lot out of both of us. I raised the option with Scott of getting off the trail, and going home. He initially said, "no Dad - I want to finish...." After thinking about it a few minutes and looking at tomorrow's planned hike on the trail map, he said, "you know, maybe it would be better..." If we had the time to take a zero day at Blue Mountain, I think we'd have been ready to get back on the trail, but didn't have time in the schedule for this. After making sure he was OK with this, we quickly packed up and began hiking (in the rain again!) down into the gap, hoping to catch Jeff and Cody.

We made it to the gap in less than an hour, to find Jeff and Cody gone. We did find a family dropping off 5 hikers starting southbound. A dad, his 3 sons, and 2 of their friends were beginning a section hike from Unicoi Gap to Neel's Gap (It was the 4 boys - who ranged in age from 11 - 15 - 1st backpacking trip). His wife, who was dropping them off, agreed to take Scott and I to Dick's Creek Gap to our truck.

My observations:
* There's a reason I do most of my hiking between October and April! While the temperatures were bearable (prolly low-mid 80's most of the day), the humidity was high, and I was soaked through quickly after beginning hiking. My hiking clothes were never really dry. I brought along 3 pair of socks and underwear - 2 to change out hiking, and one to keep dry for in camp. This worked pretty well for me, but my hiking clothes were pretty rank by the 2nd day. (oh, also - Gold Bond Medicated Powder is a necessity for hiking in this weather - as Scott says - "you'll get the tingle!")
* I couldn't drink enough water on this trip. I probably averaged a litre an hour - but to say that I wasn't "clear and copious" would be an understatement! I wasn't in great hiking shape when we started - this may have had an influence - I did find that I'd lost 8 lbs in 4 days when I got home....
* Hammock camping in the summer is the only way to go. We didn't bring pads - I had a 2 lb 40 deg down bag I slept on, and covered up with as it got chilly. Scott brought his 20 deg bag and was cozy. I got a little chilled on Cowrock Mtn, but was fine the other nights. Low shelter weight (2 lbs), no weight for a sleeping mat, and completely protected from the bugs and skeeters - and mice!
* The trip we planned was doable, but we really needed a day's break before starting what would have probably been the toughest day of our hike - up and over Rocky Mountain, up to Cheese Factory, and then over Tray Mtn. Hiking with an 11 year old is fun, but can be exhausting. I have to hike at about 1/2 my normal hiking pace - and find it much more difficult to hike at a slower pace than normal. This took more out of me than I anticipated.
* Apparently the driest stretch of the trail, even after the thunderstorms the last week or so, is between Neel's Gap and Low Gap. Water was plentiful north of Low Gap, and I was told it was plentiful up to Dick's Creek Gap.
* Our gear and food worked great. We had dehydrated cooked ground beef and refried beans for a couple of dinners. We had a Hamburger Helper meal with a package of chicken for another - this one never simmered down, and was more like soup, but was good!
* I treated our clothes with Sawyer's permethrin the week before the trip. Ths worked well - neither of us were bitten by skeeters, found no ticks, and don't have red bugs!
* While Scott was disappointed not to get a 50-miler in, he was glad to be home this morning. He did get his 30-mile hike, one of the major backpacking merit badge requirements.

Overall, a great hike! We're already talking about scheduling a trip to do the rest of the GA section.....

Steve

bigben
07-18-2007, 21:14
A few friends and I did Neel's Gap to Dick's Creek back in May. The mice were terrible at Low Gap then too. I 110% agree with you about Wildcat Mountain. The AT map has it right if you read the contour lines, but Wingfoot's book sure doesn't. It caught me off guard. The day you skipped, Blue Mtn. to Tray Mtn. would have by far been you hardest day. We went from Blue to Sassafrass Gap, about 5 miles past Tray for a total of 12.2, and it was hard. Rocky Mtn. is tough, but I thought Tray was harder, probably because having just gone up and down Rocky used up all my fresh legs. Kelly Knob is the worst of the bunch but my legs were fresh when we did it. And I wouldn't even plan on hiking down there this time of year. Just too hot for my taste.

Ewker
07-18-2007, 21:26
Steve, very nice trip report. Thanks for sharing, very cool to see your son had a good time.

Grinder
07-19-2007, 08:57
Great write up Steve

Reading about your experiences makes me glad that I came off the trail at Neels gap on my May hike.

I had planned on Springer to Dicks Creek, but the miles came hard and on Friday morning I was on Blood Mountain. 35 miles left to Dick's Creek was too many for three days and these legs.

The trail will be there next trip.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Midway Sam
07-19-2007, 13:14
Yup, the mice at Low Gap are the worst I've ever encountered. They drove me to my tent.

Ewker
07-19-2007, 13:46
I had planned on Springer to Dicks Creek, but the miles came hard and on Friday morning I was on Blood Mountain. 35 miles left to Dick's Creek was too many for three days and these legs.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

I did Springer to Dicks Creek in April...had a blast

next trip Dicks Creek to Winding Stair Gap over Thanksgiving

SteveJ
07-19-2007, 16:13
A few friends and I did Neel's Gap to Dick's Creek back in May. The mice were terrible at Low Gap then too.

You know, as I think about it, they commented more on the 3 and 4 inch roaches that came out as soon as the lights went off - I think they also heard mice, but were much more freaked out by the roaches crawling all over them.....

I 110% agree with you about Wildcat Mountain. The AT map has it right if you read the contour lines, but Wingfoot's book sure doesn't. It caught me off guard. The day you skipped, Blue Mtn. to Tray Mtn. would have by far been you hardest day. We went from Blue to Sassafrass Gap, about 5 miles past Tray for a total of 12.2, and it was hard. Rocky Mtn. is tough, but I thought Tray was harder, probably because having just gone up and down Rocky used up all my fresh legs. Kelly Knob is the worst of the bunch but my legs were fresh when we did it. And I wouldn't even plan on hiking down there this time of year. Just too hot for my taste.

As I've rested up after getting home, I think my problem was that I was getting dehydrated. Yesterday, I had a lot of the classic mild dehydration symptoms, including a lot of dizziness after I got up from sitting or laying down... Interesting, because I was really doing everything I could to be sure that didn't happen, including pounding down as much water as possible. Just shows that you shouldn't hit the trail in mid-summer in GA without conditioning yourself by having spent a lot of time outside in the heat, I guess! Of course, drinking 5 or 6 ounces of scotch, albeit good scotch, the night before prolly didn't help either! :rolleyes:

Thanks for confirming our decision about Rocky and Tray Mtn! Given how I felt yesterday, I think I would have really struggled to finish this - maybe even hurting myself.... It's felt strange not being on the trail like we planned, but I did get to go with my oldest son to Freshman orientation at UGA today, so that was good!

SteveJ
07-19-2007, 16:16
Great write up Steve

Reading about your experiences makes me glad that I came off the trail at Neels gap on my May hike.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Thanks, Tom. It was interesting, because we were really enjoying ourselves and having an easy, fun hike the first couple of days. We felt great going up Blood Mtn, and enjoyed the hike to Cowrock Mtn. It was only on the 4th day that I began to feel like I wasn't in good shape....

Your're right - the trail will still be there! Scott asked me about his next opportunity to get in a 50-miler trip - it was a great excuse to bring up a trip to Philmont in 3 summers!

Steve

SteveJ
07-19-2007, 16:17
Steve, very nice trip report. Thanks for sharing, very cool to see your son had a good time.

Thanks, Ewker - have fun planning your next trip!

bigben
07-19-2007, 18:39
Don't feel bad about letting yourself get a little dehydrated. I'm a paramedic/fireman and know all about the pathophysiology of heat related emergencies. I squad a few to the hospital every year. Our hottest day was the first one, Neels to Low Gaps. I drank in excess of 3.5 liters during this hike and by the last two ups, my legs were cramping up with every step. It was excruciating. I took my vitamins that morning and had a bunch of salty food along the way and drank 3.5 liters and STILL let it happen to me. You're not alone.