PDA

View Full Version : SD Lightyear or Eureka Spitfire?

optimator
07-09-2007, 14:18
I'm trying to decide between these two tents. I'm 6'1" 200. I tried a bivy, but I just dont like not being able to sit up... So if you had to choose between these two.....

mr. dribbles
07-09-2007, 15:34
I have the Spitfire. I compared weight, height, square footage, and cost. At the time, the Spitfire came out ahead. I am 5'11'' and can comfortably sit up in it. Downsides are single door and very limited vestibule space. Neither was big deal for me. Be careful with the ultralight version. My understanding is it does not have the foot end hoop, which seems to be necessary to keep the tent off your feet.

Creek Dancer
07-09-2007, 15:49
I have the SD Lightyear. I am 5' 5" and I have little room for sitting up. I also found the footwell to be too narrow which seemed to trap the condensation and the moisture soaked into the foot of my sleeping bag. I've never used a Eureka Spitfire, but I bought a Contrail this year and I am very pleased with the headroom, the floor space and the weight.

Newb
07-10-2007, 11:18
I have a Spitfire UL. I'm 6ft. tall. No problems keeping the end off my feet since the tent uses two upright supports that are sewn into the fabric.

I haven't slept in the tent during a rainstorm, however, it did survive the downpour at Trail days this year while I was at Dot's enjoying the nightlife. There was no water in it when I got back.

The vestibule space is limited, but there is additional space behind your head inside the tent. It's very very light to carry. I like it.

Blaf
07-10-2007, 12:45
I had the same dilemma a couple years ago and decided to go with Lightyear. I am 6'3" and I fit in just right. I would not change it for any other single tent.

Why Lightyear and not Spitfire?

1. Location of the door
2. I kind of trust SD better than Eureka.
3. Colour

But I believe if I went with Spitfire I would be fine too.

optimator
07-10-2007, 15:09
I'm gonna go with the Lightyear. I have a SD Alpha (NOT for packing!) that has been awesome. I too am sold on the SD quality. Anybody have one they want to sell?

Footslogger
07-10-2007, 15:20
I'm gonna go with the Lightyear. I have a SD Alpha (NOT for packing!) that has been awesome. I too am sold on the SD quality. Anybody have one they want to sell?

=========================

Saw your other thread Opti but didn't reply cuz I gotta check with the spousal unit ...

She has one and hiked with it in 2001 but doesn't use it any more. It's in great shape and she has the SD footprint. I think there's a sort of a sentimental attachment so I don't want to go offering it before I know she's ready to cut the cord, if you know what I mean ...

'Slogger

mr. dribbles
07-10-2007, 17:23
I should probably mention that since I got a Hennessey hammock (half the weight and twice the comfort), the Spitfire has not left the basement...